Legacy Puma M92 .454 Casull Ported...Good Purchase?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Southern Shooter
Levergunner

Legacy Puma M92 .454 Casull Ported...Good Purchase?

Post by Southern Shooter »

I recently purchased a Legacy Puma M92 .454 Casull in 98%+ condition. It is a beautiful gun. Workmanship looks of quality. Would and metal fit nicely. It is tight and smooth in its action. I cannot see any indication that the rifle was even fired.

It does have the safety mounted on the top that I hear folks complain about. I don't see a problem with it, personally.

The outer barrel measures about 18" from the receiver to the muzzle. So, I am assuming the actual barrel is 16" in length. And, the barrel is ported.

The sights on it are the optic fiber style and are very easy to visually pick up.

I have no idea how old this gun might be. But, it must have just sat in the prior owner's safe.

I paid $350 for the rifle. Did I pay too much for the gun?

Thanks
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Legacy Puma M92 .454 Casull Ported...Good Purchase?

Post by piller »

Just my opinion, but you made a good buy. I like the M92. Now, as far as what it will sound like with the .454 ammo, you will need muffs and ear plugs. I would suggest using .45 Colt ammunition for all but a very small amount of your shooting. .45 Colt fits in there the way that .44 Special does to a .44 Magnum. And, like the .44 Special, the .45 Colt can still be loaded to enough power to cleanly take deer, hogs, and almost anything else in that size range. With good ammunition, it can cleanly take black bears and bison. You could use the .454 for anything larger or meaner. If you get a Ruger or Uberti in .45 Colt, you can load to the revolver's capability and have a nice set for which you only need one type of ammunition. The rifle will shoot the ammunition to a higher velocity than the pistol, even when loaded to standards that are safe for the old Colt pistols.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Tastes vary, of course, but I had the opportunity to choose between a .454 and a .45 Colt when I bought my last Rossi. I had the chance to keep them and shoot them for a week before deciding. I went with the .45.

I know I could have shot .45 in the .454, or loaded the .454s down. But that level of power in that light carbine was just too much of a good thing for me, and .45 accuracy in that rifle was notably less than in the .45 rifle. Frankly, unless I wake up in Africa, heavy-loaded .45 Colts will more than handle any job I have.

That is, indeed, an attractive price, though...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

good buy...congrats...but

ya gotta show us pictures...
its the law around these parts! :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think they're 'better made' than the .45 Colt in the magazine-attachment area, and should be stronger overall, without much more weight.

Mine has a 'tube-loader' magazine, which I like, for I can fully load the gun when on a walkabout, AND fully unload it quickly, without the cycling of each cartridge through loading gate and chamber and so on. It makes the magazine tube heavier and bigger though (I don't care).

The so-called 'safety' on the Rossi guns I dislike, as it is not on any of mine a 'positive' safety, in that it can be bumped 'on' or 'off' easily. Check out NKJ's (forum member) button-replacement - takes about 1 minute to install, and solves the problem. Another forum member solved it with a drop of super-glue. I only put it on the one Rossi we use for home-security, as I do not want any ambiguity when that gun is used - the consequences would be deadlier than a 'click' that scared away a whitetail deer.

Of course, as to the .454 cartridge - it is awesome. Maybe pushing the 92 design to the limit, but the same could be said for a S&W Model 29 in .44 Magnum, and you don't see folks shying away from them for fear of them wearing out or blowing up; they just use them sensibly with reasonable loads. It is, however, too much 'punch' for me from a revolver that weighs anything less than twenty or thirty pounds, so no 'companion' wheelgun for me...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Good buy. Check your primers for flow back - the .454 is really high pressure and I've seen some worrisome primers on .454 Rossis, but that's perhaps just a "me" thing.

They buck like a bronc! Hold on. :twisted:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Southern Shooter
Levergunner

Here are some pictures of the Puma M92.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Southern Shooter
Levergunner

Picture number 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Southern Shooter
Levergunner

Picture number 3
Southern Shooter
Levergunner

Picture number 4
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Looks new and the price to Me would be a steal.
On Ur pic posting- that is one way to get Ur post count up. :lol: :arrow:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Southern Shooter
Levergunner

LOL...I could not figure out how to put them all on one post. LOL...I really don't like being a post-hog.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

That is a steal :mrgreen:
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

You did real good! Congrats. 1886.