30-30 Straight Stock

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kmason
Levergunner

30-30 Straight Stock

Post by kmason »

Wanting to build a couple 30-30 AI's, although prefer the look and feel of straight stocks. Marlin rep referred me to the net ? Didn't have an clue. Anyone know which models were offered with the straight stocks. I believe there were some 336 models offered throughout the years in limited production. I have talked with custom shops who can fit the tang, but the cost is almost as much as a used rifle.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 30-30 Straight Stock

Post by QCI Winchesters »

336 Cowboy
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

There's the 336 Texan.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

two good guns, cowboy or texan

and welcome

ollogger
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have a 336 straight stock that isn't marked Texan, but it looks like one. But'cept with a straight loop lever, rather than a rounded winchester style lever. It's buried so I can't get to the actual roll stamp, and I hid the photo CD so all traces are in cognito. Sri.

:shock:
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Welcome kmason,
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

30TK is another one.
NRA Life Member
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Straight stocked Marlin 336's are out there but you have to scratch around to find them.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Grizz wrote:I have a 336 straight stock that isn't marked Texan, but it looks like one. But'cept with a straight loop lever, rather than a rounded winchester style lever. It's buried so I can't get to the actual roll stamp, and I hid the photo CD so all traces are in cognito. Sri.

:shock:
Still a Texan... I have both types of lever loop and neither are (IIRC) marked Texan. They were called that in the catalog. A few had the brass saddle ring which disappeared from production rather quickly.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to our little part of the www, kmason !

Changing a Marlin 336 from a pistol grip to a straight grip is a LOT easier/cheaper than the reverse.

FWIW, both styles use the same length tang screw........... Which means.............. That the difference in depth is made up on the INSIDE of the lower tang (remove the buttstock to verify).

Sooooooo, what needs be done is to grind/file/etc the OUTSIDE surface of the lower tang to a straight line.

Step 2 entails cutting off the protruding wood of the pistol grip to make it a straight grip stock ( and refinish the wood, of course).

The third step invovles changing the curved/PG lever - which loop can be either heated/straightened or replaced with a straight lever from the Marlin Parts Dept (a straight swap).

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks Hobie. I wanted to call it a Texan but thought it was an also-ran model that didn't quite qualify.

With the slim wood it's one of the most attractive Marlins around, I think.

Grizz
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Does it have to be a Marlin? What about the old Mossberg 472, Winchester or Henry? Rossi?
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, I was going to say that straight gripped .30-30 is VERY common in the Winchester mdl 94.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

This is my Glenfield model 30GT built by Marlin. I bought it new in 1979 at a Western Auto store. Barrel is 18.5 inches and makes for a very handy hunting carbine. Nope, not for sale.

In my opinion, the AI advantage does its best work with longer barrels such as 24 inches or longer.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

kmason wrote:Wanting to build a couple 30-30 AI's, although prefer the look and feel of straight stocks. Marlin rep referred me to the net ? Didn't have an clue. Anyone know which models were offered with the straight stocks. I believe there were some 336 models offered throughout the years in limited production. I have talked with custom shops who can fit the tang, but the cost is almost as much as a used rifle.
The Winchester model 1894 comes to mind.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

TedH wrote:30TK is another one.
This is the one to find IMO if you want a .30-30. The 18" barrel is real handy. The 336 straight stock can be found in .35 Rem. too. 1886.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

1886 wrote:
TedH wrote:30TK is another one.
This is the one to find IMO if you want a .30-30. The 18" barrel is real handy. The 336 straight stock can be found in .35 Rem. too. 1886.
Yep, handy as can be. Here's mine, after I got rid of the barrel band and converted it to a forend cap. This one's been reamed to AI. I get 2500 fps with Sierra 150's.

NRA Life Member
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

TedH wrote:Yep, handy as can be. Here's mine, after I got rid of the barrel band and converted it to a forend cap. This one's been reamed to AI. I get 2500 fps with Sierra 150's.

Ted did your rifle already have the short mag tube or did you shorten it as well? Very nice looking rifle!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's the original mag tube, didn't touch anything but the wood, and cut a dovetail for the forend cap tenon.
Replace the birch with walnut, found a used butt stock on gunbroker, and had to make the forend since they were never offered in this configuration with the forend cap.
NRA Life Member
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Check out Tree Bone Carving, they has a wide variety of stock for leverguns.