Louis L'Amour short stories

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Louis L'Amour short stories

Post by MacEntyre »

Years ago, I read a couple of L'Amour novels, and I've long since forgotten them. So, the other day I bought a book with four L'Amour novels. After two pages, three or four characters were developed, and a captivating plot was launched. All four novels were very well written, and the way each started out, captivating the reader so quickly, it made me think L'Amour might be good at short stories.

In a used book store, I found two volumes of a seven volume set of L'Amour short stories... The Frontier Stories and The Adventure Stories. I was correct... he's an excellent short story writer! Very few words needed to paint a vivid picture. What a talented author!

He does a great job of describing revolvers & leverguns, as well as horsemanship, tracking, surviving the desert, and many others aspects of western life.

Kinda glad I waited so long to read Louis L'Amour... it's a most enjoyable discovery!

- MacEntyre
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Louis L'Amour short stories

Post by sore shoulder »

His writing skills go beyond the old west. Many of his short stories took place in Asia and South America and involved a hero named Turk Madden. He also wrote a historical novel, The Walking Drum, read it several times. Last of the Breed is a must read, and Haunted Mesa. And don't forget his autobiography.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Thanks!

I've got Last of the Breed... loved it!

When I bought the short stories, I got his Memoirs, "Educating of a Wandering Man" but I haven't started it yet. His bio is incredible.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've read e everything he's written, I think, He also ghost wrote some of the Lone Ranger stories. Some of those short story collection contain the same named characters as in his novels, either not as fleshed out or completely different from the novel.

Some of his adventure shorts are from his own life.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Years back I read alot of his books
the other day I was talking to my Dad & a bud of his gave him a big box of Lamours books
Dad has plenty of time to read (he is 84) and he is happy bout all the books
Dad or I couldnt remember when he died

Anybody here know?

thanks, ollogger
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Been reading his stories, long and short, for over 30 years and my internet namesake is from him. Thanks you LL for all the enjoyable hours.
turnkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by turnkey »

1988, according to his bio on the back page of my copy of "To Tame A Land". It's on my bedstand right now.
"Every day a holiday, every meal a feast, every paycheck a treasure."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image is your friend. 1988
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I've got over 50 of his books on my iPhone, including several books of his short stories. When I need a break and some concrete wasteland of a city waiting for a plane, I haul out the iPhone and disappear into the old west.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

sore shoulder wrote:His writing skills go beyond the old west. Many of his short stories took place in Asia and South America and involved a hero named Turk Madden. He also wrote a historical novel, The Walking Drum, read it several times. Last of the Breed is a must read, and Haunted Mesa. And don't forget his autobiography.
+1 on those...!

Also, read James Alexander Thom's books (mostly revolutionary to civil-war-era and midwest - all 'historical fiction') - ALL of them I've read are awesome.

The Red Heart was the first (since I know a descendant of Francis Slocum), but then Follow the River, Long Knife, Sign Talker, and Panther in the Sky (perhaps my favorite), and many others.

Thom makes you feel like you are THERE, kind of like Howard Terpning's artwork.
(the diamond-things aren't space aliens, but some anti-piracy thing)

Also, I recommend Forsyth/Gingerich's historical fiction about Washington - Valley Forge, and To Try Men's Souls. Then if you want a real jolt to modern-times, read One Second After by the same authors... :shock:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I read my first LL book in the late 70's. Flint. Have a first edition hardback of that one now.

My other favorite author is Edgar Rice Burroughs, the father of science fiction and also the creator of Tarzan. None of the Tarzan movies have ever come close to capturing the primordial savage of the books.

His Princess of Mars series is responsible for Sci-Fi in general. The character of Superman came from them and Lucas straight up stole his ideas to create Star Wars. He later stated he was "heavily influenced" by Burroughs after many of us began pointing this out on the net. The John Carter movie is almost an insult to Burroughs work.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Sounds like I missed some of Louis' stuff; I thought I'd read everything he wrote but I don't remember short stories or non-western stories. I'm going to hunt those up. And also have a look at James Alexander Thom, too.

My favorite western authors are J.P.S. Brown and Elmer Kelton (and Mackey Hedges though he's a cowboy who wrote a couple of books and not an author that writes about cowboys), but I've read all of their stuff twice now and need some new horizons. Or horizons from long enough ago I've forgot them (Louis would qualify).
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have the full set of leather bound Louis L'Amour books put out by Time-Life several years back. My intention was to read every one of them after I retired. I've been retired three years and haven't had a chance to read even one yet! I need to work on that.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Shasta wrote:I have the full set of leather bound Louis L'Amour books ...
I saw a set at the used book store... probably ought to go back and get it!
400short
Levergunner

Post by 400short »

I just finished The Lonesome Gods. Again.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Get yourself a tope map of wherever Lamour is writing about and you can follow the character from the terrain.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bearhands
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bearhands »

I think my list of "have reads" is up to about 50...... my favorites being Sitka and The Haunted Mesa.... they're all great fun to read and they'll take you wherever the plot goes......
Recently, I discovered Robert B. Parkers series about Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch.. these are simply FUN books that I couldn't put down.
http://www.robertbparker.net/robert-par ... p#westerns
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I was stationed in the ROK in 1988, and on my Birthday, 10 June, we loaded out for a 2 week field problem. While waiting for my Lt., Kevin Woods, to get back from the Sit. Rep. meeting with the other Lt's and Capt. Maxwell, I switched the ratio to the freq which we could hear Armed Forces Radio on and heard the news about Louis L'Amour's death. That was a bummer. Being tasked with keeping an Lt who didn't know Sic' Em from Come Here and learning that my favorite author had died, and both on my Birthday, was a real bummer of a day.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Shasta wrote:
I have the full set of leather bound Louis L'Amour books put out by Time-Life several years back. My intention was to read every one of them after I retired. I've been retired three years and haven't had a chance to read even one yet! I need to work on that.
Yep - Right after you finish yore "Honey - Do" list...... ;) . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen:

[ Every hitched man gets one, upon retirement.]

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

M. M. Wright wrote:Get yourself a tope map of wherever Lamour is writing about and you can follow the character from the terrain.
You can also go this route:
http://www.amazon.com/Trailing-Louis-LA ... 0965029832
http://www.amazon.com/Trailing-Louis-LA ... 0965029824

I have the New Mexico one and find it interesting. The author did trips trying to find lost towns, hideouts, valleys, etc following LL's stories. He includes maps and other info. It's been awhile since I read or even looked thru it (gonna have to fix that) but overall I give it a B.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've read most of the Sackett books, but I think THE LAST OF THE BREED was the best of all. It's too bad he passed before he could write another book to go with it. You know he was going back. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

And the Russian who received the package was probably jumping at shadows for the rest of his life, or would have if it weren't a story.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

earlmck wrote:Sounds like I missed some of Louis' stuff; I thought I'd read everything he wrote but I don't remember short stories or non-western stories. I'm going to hunt those up....

One of his collections of short stories was about fighting men in later times, perhaps 1940's on for a few years. I recall a couple of them well, they were pretty good stories. I dont recall the name of the book, but when you see it, you'll likely recognise it. One of my favorites from that book was a WWII story about a US soldier, carrying a 50 Browning on his shoulder, coming out of the hills ahead of the German advance in Italy, finding some British soldiers, making a stand with them, and moving on ahead of the Germans, planning to ambush them yet again.

EDIT: Looked around, found a list of books of his on wiki. The one I was recalling was called "Where There's Fighting" in the book titled Yondering.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I've only read his "Education of a Wandering Man," but it was revelation.
According to this biography, this son of a veterinarian lived a life that can scarcely be imagined.

http://www.louislamour.com/aboutlouis/biography.htm
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

I listened to a Louis L'Amour book on CD when driving from PA to NC last year. That was the the best road trip ever because of the great story we listened to. I can't remember the name of the book but it made the trip a great one. I've forgotten about L'Amour and I'm glad I saw this thread that reminded me about him. I'll be grabbing a few of his books in the near future.

EDIT: I've really been enjoying Charles Russell's works lately.
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I started reading his stories in 1953,they are still good today.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Irelander wrote: ....I've really been enjoying Charles Russell's works lately.

I really like Chalies stories. Many only know of his artwork, but he was a fairly prolific writer also.

Here's some of his writing online,

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks07/0700941h.html

One of my favorites is "A Savage Santa Claus"
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Been reading LL since I was a little kid. Back in January I stoped at a garage sale and picked up 8 of his books for $2.00. I felt like I won the lotto.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I just found eight of the Sackett series and The Quick and The Dead for $1 per paperback!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Malamute, I am most grateful for the link to Charlie Russell's book. You have a great day!

:D
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Never having read any of L'Amour's stories makes me want to get some of his used books. But I was wondering, has anyone read any of Zane Gray's western stuff?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I've read a couple, including "Riders of the Purple Sage." Grey was a fine writer, and his westerns helped him finance his lifestyle of fishing all over the world. His cabin still stands here in Southern Oregon on the Rogue River he loved so much.
Grey himself was apparently quite a pill and thoroughly full of himself.

http://seattletimes.com/html/travel/200 ... rey22.html
gcburt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gcburt »

sore shoulder wrote:I read my first LL book in the late 70's. Flint. Have a first edition hardback of that one now.

My other favorite author is Edgar Rice Burroughs, the father of science fiction and also the creator of Tarzan. None of the Tarzan movies have ever come close to capturing the primordial savage of the books.

His Princess of Mars series is responsible for Sci-Fi in general. The character of Superman came from them and Lucas straight up stole his ideas to create Star Wars. He later stated he was "heavily influenced" by Burroughs after many of us began pointing this out on the net. The John Carter movie is almost an insult to Burroughs work.

My first LL was back in the 50's after both my dad and mother finished it. My parents were avid readers, and passed in on to all of us.

I read all the John Carter series before I could "legally" drive - even though I'd been on the highway alone since I was eight years old in a pickup or 2-ton farm truck.

Never came across a novel or short sory by either author I didn't become engrossed in within minutes.
CW5 Retired, Master Army Aviator and MTFE (1970-2005).
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I came to Louis L'Amour later in life. What a writer!

"Sitka" and "Last of the Breed" are two of my favorites, as well.

He did write some short stories, some of which were used as
the basis for later novels. I have a collection of 'em, but the name
escapes me just now.

Great stuff, though. A wonderful way to forget one's troubles
for a bit.

-stretch
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Rusty wrote:I've read most of the Sackett books, but I think THE LAST OF THE BREED was the best of all. It's too bad he passed before he could write another book to go with it. You know he was going back. :D
Yes, he was planning to write a sequel to that, and also the Walking Drum. There are apparently notes for both.
11B30