Green Mountain Rifle Barrels

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Green Mountain Rifle Barrels

Post by stew71 »

Anyone have any experience with Green Mountain barrels? I'm having a custom hunting rifle built using a 1935 Peruvian 30-06 FN Mauser action. Midway has GM barrels for around $100. I can't find Adams and Bennett barrels anywhere, and my next choice might be Shilen at around $300 including shipping. I'm leaning towards the Shilen just on their reputation, but I thought I'd inquire here about the GM products.

Thanks.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Green Mountain Rifle Barrels

Post by TedH »

I can't tell you this is fact, but I was told by a fellow that used to be a purchaser for Midway that the Adams & Bennet barrels were manufactured by another well known barrel maker, and packaged as Adams & Bennet, but he wouldn't tell me who. I'd bet they were all made by Green Mountain. I personally wouldn't hesitate to try one for that price. I have used three Adams & Bennet barrels, and they are all good shooters.
NRA Life Member
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

My cousin bought barrels from them and has been satisfied so far. He shoots mostly BP and just finished off a project about month or so ago rebuilding a Remington roller #1 in 50-70.

Mainehunter :wink:
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Interesting project you have going there using the FN Mauser action. Keeping it in 30-06 or different caliber?

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've used GM muzzle loading barrels and have a GM S.S. barrel on one of my 10/22's. Everything I've used has been top shelf and as advertised. I've never used one of their hi power type barrels though.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Mainehunter wrote:Interesting project you have going there using the FN Mauser action. Keeping it in 30-06 or different caliber?

Possibly. Also considering 6.5 Swede, 270 Win., and 280 Remington. The cartridge base diameters are almost identical so it wouldn't require any bolt mods.

Now that I think about it a bit more, I already have several 30-06's. A nice lightweight 6.5mm/270 would make for an excellent caribou/elk rifle.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Have a Green Mountain barrel on my muzzle loader. It had a Thompson Center barrel and, of course, 1 in 48 twist. Just not fast enough to stabilize a bullet and too fast for a round ball. Bought the Green Mountain 50 cal with, if I remember correctly 1 in 22 twist. Shoots into one hole.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have several GM muzzle loading barrels on rifles I built. They are good quality.
I am sure you will like it. :wink:
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

stew71 wrote:
Mainehunter wrote:Interesting project you have going there using the FN Mauser action. Keeping it in 30-06 or different caliber?

Possibly. Also considering 6.5 Swede, 270 Win., and 280 Remington. The cartridge base diameters are almost identical so it wouldn't require any bolt mods.

Now that I think about it a bit more, I already have several 30-06's. A nice lightweight 6.5mm/270 would make for an excellent caribou/elk rifle.
Hate to be in your shoes on what caliber to choose. All good choices. Just to be different either 6.5mm/270 or 280 Rem. would do it. My neighbor who has his camp down the road from me hunts mostly with his 280 Rem., loves it!

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have a match grade bull-barrel for a Ruger 77/22 that was just a peach and would get another if I had another candidate gun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

Here are four, 3-round, 50 yard groups, recently shot with the green mountain barrel in my custom built 10/22. Ammo was SK-Standard Plus.

My son and I also built a custom 10/22 for him with a green mountain barrel and results are similar. I have not used Green Mountain barrels in other applications but can certainly vouch for the quality of their 22 barrels.

A Winchester Collector
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

3855 wrote:I have not used Green Mountain barrels in other applications but can certainly vouch for the quality of their 22 barrels.

Same here and great shooting 3855!
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I just got a Green Mountain barrel I ordered from Midway and its in an wrap marked Adams and Bennet...While its possibly a merchandise pickers mistake in the Midway Warehouse I do believe Green Mountain made it....But anyway I have used barrels from both Green Mountain and Adams and Bennet and theyve all been good barrels...
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

I have a Green Mountain barrel fitted to my Marlin 44 magnum absolutely no copper fouling or lead fouling.A little on the high side at .430 for a .44 cal with a twist of 1 in 36'' but it's a pearler.Loves 240 gain XTP's which are .430 size.
Marlin 44 magnum trgt.JPG
Marlin .44 001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's dead easy to die; it's the keeping on living that's hard - Douglas Mawson - Scientist and polar survivor
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nick: Dang that's a handsome long-barreled Marlin you have there.
I have had nothing but wonderful luck with Green Mountain barrels.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Thank you all for the responses. I guess for only $100, it's at least worth trying out.