OT: NIB Colt SAA For Trade?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT: NIB Colt SAA For Trade?

Post by rangerider7 »

I was in Waco yesterday and happened to walk into a gun shop I seldom go to. I noticed they had a NIB Colt SAA 4 3/4 44-40 in the blue box. I have a NIB Colt SAA 4 3/4 45 colt in the blue box that I traded for. It is just like it came from the factory. I asked the clerk what it would cost to trade guns because I already have a new 45 Colt and would like to have a new 3rd generation blue box Colt SAA in 44-40. He said let me see, then said 650.00 plus tax. I couldn't believe it. I guess it showed. He said "what". I said "same revolver, different caliber, change hands, log in, fill out forms, and walk out $650.00+ tax" is that right? He just grinned and said "yes". My reply as I walked out the door was "I knew there was a reason I don't come in here now I remember". I don't know about you but that kind of dealings is what makes for a bad feelings about gun shop dealers. I was more than happy to give some money for the Logging in and out and processing the form. The tax was fine also. A hundred plus tax would have done it for me. I was wondering how do y'all feel about it?
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: OT: NIB Colt SAA For Trade?

Post by Griff »

rangerider7 wrote:I was in Waco yesterday and happened to walk into a gun shop I seldom go to. I noticed they had a NIB Colt SAA 4 3/4 44-40 in the blue box. I have a NIB Colt SAA 4 3/4 45 colt in the blue box that I traded for. It is just like it came from the factory. I asked the clerk what it would cost to trade guns because I already have a new 45 Colt and would like to have a new 3rd generation blue box Colt SAA in 44-40. He said let me see, then said 650.00 plus tax. I couldn't believe it. I guess it showed. He said "what". I said "same revolver, different caliber, change hands, log in, fill out forms, and walk out $650.00+ tax" is that right? He just grinned and said "yes". My reply as I walked out the door was "I knew there was a reason I don't come in here now I remember". I don't know about you but that kind of dealings is what makes for a bad feelings about gun shop dealers. I was more than happy to give some money for the Logging in and out and processing the form. The tax was fine also. A hundred plus tax would have done it for me. I was wondering how do y'all feel about it?
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

But...but...but...they have all that overhead they have to pay for! :roll:
.........THE TWINS..........

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Is the .44 WCF that much more rare?

Serious headshaking here in VA... :roll:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THE MAN IS NOT THERE FOR HIS HEALTH. HE IS THERE FOR THE HEALTH OF HIS WALLET !!!
HE OPENED NEGOTIATIONS AND YOU TURNED AND RAN. WHY ??!! THAT OPENING BID WAS A GOOD ONE AND YOUR FOLLOWUP WOULD HAVE GOT THE BALL ROLLING, IN YOUR DIRECTION !!! I WOULD HAVE HORSE TRADED WITH THAT FELLOW UNTIL HE MET MY PRICE OR SAID " UNCLE."
FURTHERMORE, YOU CANNOT EXPECT HIM TO BE IN BUSINESS AND NOT MAKE A NICE PROFIT. WHY SHOULD HE GIVE YOU WHAT YOU PAID FOR YOUR 45 SIXGUN WHEN HE CAN GO BUY A NEW ONE FROM HIS WHOLESALER AND MAKE MORE MONEY ON IT. HE IS THERE TO MAKE MONEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU WERE THERE TO GIVE HIM AS LITTLE OF YOURS AS WAS NESSESSARY. IN STEAD YOU DROPPED THE BALL AND RAN LIKE HE HAD INSULTED YOU; HE HAD NOT !!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

Let's see, $1200 gun + $650 for a $1200 gun. Yup, that's a right fair deal. :roll:
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
Crazy Horse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Crazy Horse »

I know the guy has to make money but I would have done the same thing as you did if he tried to screw me that bad!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd agree with Terry, if the difference wasn't so far off! If the guy had said $200-$300, then you could have had a place to begin negotiations, but at that price it's just plain wrong, and not even wrth making a counter offer. He wants to profit on the gun he has and profit even more on your's!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I think I would have played for awhile, but around here you just cannot dicker on a store bought used gun........ Even at the shows, you can't seem to budge them very much.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Used to be that pawn shops were thought to take advantage of people, and gun shops were the place to buy guns at a fair deal, good for both parties. I find more and more that Pawn shops are more reputable now a days than most gun shops.

Ed
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

cubrock wrote:But...but...but...they have all that overhead they have to pay for! :roll:
So, give up the Mercedes and diamond rings? Some of the shipping they charge on the auction sites are outragious, also.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hold it, hold it! I agree with Terry for the thinking process and Marlinman for the money. My buddy owns Targetmaster and I see deals going down all the time. The owner has to EAT off of the gun deals. Insurance is crazy for these guys, not to mention electricity, employees, ATF and other kinds of bs.
This is how it works: In order for a dealer to make money, he will usually offer about half of what the gun will sell for, depending on the desirability of the gun. He also has to take in account of any potential problems the gun he is taking in will have. While a SA Colt is a fine gun, there are not people beating down the door to buy 'em. They ain't cheap. By law, he has to sell Rangeriders gun as a used gun, even if looks like a NIB gun. He will only be able to sell his gun for about 9-10 as a new one goes for 12. Potential buyers most always (especially if they are not gun savvy like us here :D ) spend a few extra to buy new. Thats why he only offered 6 or so for Rangeriders gun. He was figuring to make a couple of hundred and at the same time taking into account that the gun may sit on his shelf for 6 months.

Rangerider---everything happens for a reason and I say you done good because the 45 Colt is a more desirable gun and the fact that the last two new 44-40's I personally fired had groove diameters of .428 with chamber mouths going .432. IIRC, they grouped into about 4" @ 25. I'm not saying they all are like this but the two I fired might as well been Ruger Vacaros with their usual 44 magnum barrels and 44-40 cylinders.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I have several Colts in .45 . I make sure all are used including one in nickle and .357 . 44.40 s are somewhat hard to load I'm told . Straight case .45 must be easier ? At this age I'm not saving any for some one else to sell or give away .Besides I can't stand to have a gun unfired ... Just Me
MUTT
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Mutt, I have another just like the one I was going to trade. I shoot all 5 of my 3rd generation Colt SAAs. I traded for this one because it was a good trade. I will probably sell it at my next spur and bit show. I just thought I needed a 44-40 3rd generation. I have 2 44-40s 1st generations that I don't shoot much. I have been lucky with my collection of Colts and Winchesters. I trade all the time. I started trading guns when I first went to college some 45 years ago. This shop just left a bad taste in my mouth.
"That'll Be The Day"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I agree with Terry - If you were really interested in trading, and not scoring, you would have negotiated further.

I can always get more money, but it's been over 20 years since I've seen a NIB .44-40 SAA F/S anywhere - where do you find another ?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pete44ru wrote:
I can always get more money, but it's been over 20 years since I've seen a NIB .44-40 SAA F/S anywhere - where do you find another ?
Pete, here in SE Pa., anything can be found....easily. My buddy Tom at Targetmaster, tells me any Colt currently being made can be had in two days. I personally know another dealer who sets up at the better shows, who has most SA Colts in most calibers right in his display. (including this 7 and 1/2" 32-20 I've been pondering)

Most gun dealers do not stock SA Colts because its a big outlay of bucks for a gun that may be sitting for 6 months.-----Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

The Colt Custom shop will build them for ya.

I ordered a pair of 44-40's last year with seperate 44 special cylinders and consig. serial numbers.

The one will shoot 3/4" groups at 15 yards from the bench, two hand hold with wrist and fore-arms supported with sand bags. Not bad with a 4 3/4" barrel. The load is a custom target load I developed. This was with the 44 special cylinder. Bullet is a 200 grain Desperado 20/1 soft cast sized to .429". The bore/groove is .429, cylinder throats reamed to .431", with a 11 degree forcing cone.

When you order the combination cylinder from the custom shop, the 44-40 will have a .429" barrel.

The pair is my 70th BD gift to my self. :wink:

I shoot Cowboy action, and will use the revolvers as my main match guns. The piece described above will also be used for side match long range revolver.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

I've had similar dealings with some of my local gunshops. Two in particular. If I ever do go in I go in with an attitude just to giv'em grief.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Pete, here in SE Pa., anything can be found....easily. My buddy Tom at Targetmaster, tells me any Colt currently being made can be had in two days. I personally know another dealer who sets up at the better shows, who has most SA Colts in most calibers right in his display]

Wal, Thet sure looks like thing are different, out there on the frontier, towards the West (from New England) . :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ;)