Thinkin pocket guns.......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Thinkin pocket guns.......

Post by L_Kilkenny »

A few recent post on pocket guns including the "small .22" thread got me to thinkin MORE about a pocket gun. I've had exactly one true pocket gun in my life, a lowly .25 Raven (don't be to hard on me it was free). I've even carried it, chamber empty due to the awful safety, a time or two.

Lookin at the various .32acp's including the Berettas, NAA's and Keltec's. BTW, average build and wear jeans pretty much 365.

Other options? What say you?

Thanks, LK

Edited: had some revolvers in the mix on first post but comparing the snub .32's and .38's to my Bersa T22 (size) I'm thinkin they are bigger then I can have in this case. Stinks, I prefer revolvers.
Senior Levergunner

Re: Thinkin pocket guns.......

Post by 2571 »

How small? I carry an '07 Savage. "Ten shots quick".
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

2571 wrote:How small? I carry an '07 Savage. "Ten shots quick".
My 5" x 6.5" Bersa (PPK clone) is bigger than I want, how's that '07 stack up size-wise?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

9mm short. I have a Ruger LCP in my boot right now, the back up. My wife carries hers in her pocket. I like them a lot and it shoots great and handles great and is accurate and low recoil and reliable so far.

The downside for some is the loooooooong trigger pull. A great safety feature that just about garantees no one will accidently drill their nuts or cheeks. And anyway you can accomodate almost any tigger if you practice. I use only the federal fmj FLAT point, which penetrate the same distance as 9mm gold dot hp. And 9 mm kurtz has a good history as a fight stopper.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866

worth a close read, might raise some eyebrows.
Last edited by Grizz on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

The LCP and LC9 by Ruger are great little pocket guns. I've carried both. The LCP in .380 is smaller. Both are very thin, less than 1" wide, and easily concelealed in a pocket holster. I switched to the LC9 because it's a 9mm, has a safety and holds 7+1. It also has a 3 dot sight whereas the LCP doesn't have much of a rear sight at all. I use a Blackhawk #3 pocket holster and carry it in my front pocket. I hardly know its there to the point I've almost thrown it in the wash. It shoots pretty good for a small pistol out to 25 yards. I've put a couple hundred rounds of ball and hollow points through it with no problems other than the rear sight coming loose. It just needed the screw tightened. The only thing I don't like is the goofy red bar on top that sticks up when loaded and says "loaded when up", but it isn't really a drawback.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I hope I never have to test the LCP for it's intended purpose, but, it sure carries real sweet...Mine rests in my left upper leather vest inside pocket. LEOs I know purport that they cannot see it. Two extra mags reside in a lower outside pocket....I keep the LCP in a pocket sleeve holster. I just won't take the chance to have it in there without some sort of trigger shield.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a Sig P238/ .380acp that absolutely love but I rarely wear jeans anymore so it rides in my front pocket really well. Last couple weeks I've been packin' my new NAA 1860 just for fun but I've been looking at the Beretta Tomcat a lot. A friend has one and loves it.

I've been really pleased with the accuracy and easy shooting P238. I always have it when I'm out of the house. The reason I bought the NAA is for around the house/ yard loaded with .22 shorts and bird shot for targets of opportunity. That and I thought it was cute. :oops:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

LCP was our hottest selling pocket gun when I worked at Sportsman's Warehouse. That said, my current carry piece is the next size up from pocket gun, a Springfield XDS in .45 ACP. It amazes me how controllable the little guy is.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

KelTec .32. Drop it in your pocket, carry it all day, and you don't know it's there. Load it with Buffalo Bore 60 grainhardcast, if you gotta shot a bear. :wink: The pf-9, 9MM, is a little bigger, but still not to heavy to carry all day.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Hard to beat a smith 642 or 637,but you need a jacket pocket, or cargo pants pocket. My NAA 22 mag can go, anytime I'm wearing clothes.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
gcburt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gcburt »

I hardly notice that my Kahr PM9 is in my front pocket in its Remora holster.
CW5 Retired, Master Army Aviator and MTFE (1970-2005).
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

KELTEC 32 acp. Small, flat and light. Dont waste you money on the small frame Beretta's they are not rated for P+ or any real amount of shooting. I found this out after I cracked a slide on a tomcat.

Chris
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

LCP for over 5 years now. Just be sure to clean and lube it regular, at least for me I find lots of stuff gets in it in my pocket, and the lube gets drawn out of it. I use the winchester white box 95 gr FMJ FP. Deepest penetrating of all the 9mm Kurtz. Walmart usually carries in the 100 pack. Also get the finger grip mags.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

My pocket pistol is a Colt Pony Pocketlite in 9mm Kurz. It's real strong, so you don't have to worry about Glazer or other +P rounds.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I think this one would do for me.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

1980 Colt Mustang
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

I really like my Kahr CW9. Fits in a coat pocket, or in the docker type pants.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Ha! Have the same raven, hated carrying it due to awful safety!!
Went to Beretta Tomcat .32ACP. flip up barrel, is nice for the wife especially.
I do not like the trigger, and it sure bites my hand, but is very easy to carry and still do when clothes are limiting factor.
I carry an old Colt Pocket Positive 32NP, love it, shoots great, light weight, small,
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

L_Kilkenny wrote: Edited: had some revolvers in the mix on first post but comparing the snub .32's and .38's to my Bersa T22 (size) I'm thinkin they are bigger then I can have in this case. Stinks, I prefer revolvers.
My Oldsmobile works in my jeans pocket pretty well with a decent pocket holster. Looks like any other pocket with "stuff" in it.

I've been told the carpenter jeans are better as they are looser but I have not tried any yet.

Oh yeah, Oldsmobile? A S&W 442. Get it? :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I've never owned one, but the little Seecamp pistol would interest me.

http://www.seecamp.com/products.htm
My local gun shop sells a lot of them.

Jack
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I have and have carried at various times a Berretta model 21 in .25 acp and an AMT .380 Backup (single action). The .380 was bought as an upgrade from the .25. I still stick either the model 21 or backup in my pocket from time to time as a backup. I have no illusions about the .25 acp, but the .380 acp (with some of today's newer rounds) is fairly substantial.

Were I to do it all over again, I wouldn't choose anything less than a .380 acp. There are too many good quality, small .380's out there not to.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I'm constantly surprised at how many people have a kel-tec or ruger LCP in their front pocket
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

sore shoulder wrote:I'm constantly surprised at how many people have a kel-tec or ruger LCP in their front pocket
OK, I'll bite...why?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Carried a Beretta 21, .22LR, for the longest time in an Uncle Mike pocket holster. Discovered the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster after the Unca Mike wore out. Now the Beretta's been retired. Looked at all the pocket .380's and finally pulled the trigger (no pun intended) on a Diamondback DB380. Great little concealable, striker fired, adjustable for windage rear sight, "micro" Glock looking thing. Six round magazine for a 7 round carry. Fits like a glove in its' DeSantis Nemesis and at 11 oz weight it handles all the .380's I can pay for with its pretty gentle recoil impulse. A longish, but smooth, no-stacking trigger pull, very reliable and plenty accurate to boot. Just a little bit less cost than the LCP, but the trigger pull is way better than the Ruger or Kel-Tec. Real happy with the selection, much more so than I ever expected for such a sleeper.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Im another one with a LC9 in a pocket or my trusty little S&W 642 (the stub)
both have the type of trigger that takes some getting use to, but its fun shooting em

ollogger
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

awp101 wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:I'm constantly surprised at how many people have a kel-tec or ruger LCP in their front pocket
OK, I'll bite...why?

What I meant was, I run into people constantly who are carrying one of those in their pocket, there are a lot of those out there being carried every day.
11B30
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

My brother has one of the cut down versions of the S&W 39's I believe with his name and IHMSA charter member # engraved in it.
If I remember correctly, it was gifted to him for his work in IHMSA.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I carry a 637 with .38+p hp in a pocket holster all the time. Nobody has ever noticed it and I hardly notice it myself..
Works for me. Not a thing wrong with the autos, I just prefer a revolver...

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I love my autos, I will never leave my revolvers.
Two different devices, both have their purpose.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I think I just solved the sight problem on my LCP.

Note the relative size compared to my Kimber Compact.

Both have similar sights now.

This gets stuffed in a boot every now and then.

7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I have played with the Ruger LCPs and LCRs, SIG 238/938s and P290s, Kel-Tecs, used to sell a lot of Seecamps, etc.

My wife was going to pick up a little SIG and then the Kimber Solo came out and she fell in love with the thing. I started to try to find one with a distributor, but the things were way backordered at the time. I was in some meetings with one of the partners at Kimber and talked to him about the Solo and he said that basically a Solo ordered that day would ship from Kimber a year and two months from then, so I payed above retail for one on Gunbroker (they are much more available now).

I was not really thrilled about a micro pistol, since in my experience they are harder to shoot well, but it is tough sometimes for women to carry a larger pistol, depending on body size and wardrobe, and I was pleased that it was a 9mm.

Anyway, she got it and loved it. She was disappointed because it did not have night sights, though initially Kimber was advertising that they all shipped with night sights. Turned out Kimber did not yet have the sights when they released the pistol, so they shipped them without sights. She mentioned that she had a solo to one of guys at Meprolight, and within a couple weeks, a package came in from Israel with a set of the newly designed Mepro night sights for the Solo.

For me, it felt surprisingly nice, but I figured it was a pistol I would just tolerate for it's usefulness. Then I shot the thing and wow! That thing shot nice. Recoil was much less than I expected for a 9mm in such a small pistol - better than a lot of .380s. I shot better groups with that pistol than I have with pretty much any other pistol. I have to say that I love that thing. To have a pistol that you can shoot that effectively and that can ride so comfortably and invisibly in a pocket holster is a big advantage.

If I were looking for a pocket pistol, I would definitely lean toward the Kimber Solo, though I would be comfortable with a SIG or Ruger as well. I'll add photos later.

ImageImage
1894c

Post by 1894c »

my limited experience for a "BUG" has been Glock 26 & 27...S&W Airweight 642, 638...Beretta 21A...Ruger LCR (.38spl or .357)...Kel-Tec P-11...Walther PPK, PPK/s in .380acp...Ruger SP-101 in .357mag...S&W Pro-series 1911 (3"bbl. .45acp)and now i'm presently carrying a S&W M&P Shield in 9mm...good luck...remember the 1st rule to self-defense..."have a gun", and a gun you will actually carry...by the way that Raven in 25acp is better than a stick... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Guess it's just that I'm so old, but I carry a revolver. Colt Cobra, which is just a Detective Special with an aluminum frame. I load it with 125 grain XTPs and carry an old HKS speed loader in another pocket. Happened to be in a pawn shop when the owner brought it out of pawn and placed it in the display case for $250. It looked nearly new. I'm pretty sure that one of my rotator cuff surgeries was caused by my grabbing for my billfold. I de-horned the hammer and put a Tyler T grip adapter on it. It often rides in an ankle holster and I really like the idea of 6 shots instead of just 5. I purposely don't shoot it much to save wear and tear on that aluminum frame.
BIL has the LC9 and I really like that too but I often carry a S&W 6906 loaded with 13 rounds of 9X19, 147 grain Silvertips in the back pocket of my bib overalls. The hoody and vest I wear in the winter cover it completely and I forget it's there. I know it dispatches 'possums very nicely.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

KelTec P3AT with Grizzly Extreme Self defense rounds in it. I have a little leather holster for it made by Saddlemaker Mike Nail of Meade, KS and have never had anyone be able to tell it is in my pocket. I also have a NAA mini in .22 Magnum that I sometimes carry. It is surprisingly accurate to 30 yards or so.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

I often pocket carry a Kahr P380, a Kahr PM40, and a SW 642. Of the three, the PM40 gets carried the most. It has the best combination of power, capacity, size, and shootability. Believe it or not, the 642 is one the most concealable due to its irregular shape.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I am thinking on getting a Bond Derringer the 45lc / 410 snake slayer..3.5"
just cause it looks neat...as a back-up
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Goatguy, 20cows: You guys win all the style points with those swell old breaktops. Gotta rope one o' those for my ownself ...
:D
gcburt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gcburt »

M. M. Wright wrote: ***snipped text*** in the back pocket of my bib overalls. ***snipped text***
I thought I was the only one around here that liked "Bibs." I'd wear them to chuch if my wife would let me!! Once in a church meeting in Germany I pointed out some white ones worn by a maintenance worker to her - saying "Sunday Go To Meeting Overalls" - she promptly said NO!!!

I carry my Khar PM9 in my right front pocket - don't even know it's there - comes out of the Remora holster easily.
CW5 Retired, Master Army Aviator and MTFE (1970-2005).
Irelander
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Irelander »

I trust my life to a Kahr P380. Usually carry it in an Uncle Mikes ankle holster for super discrete situations. Also carry it in an Alabama Holster Company kydex pocket holster or a Galco Tuck-n-Go IWB holster. I'm not totally impressed with the Tuck-n-Go but it is what I have right now. I'd like to find a better IWB holster for it. Anyway, my P380 has been flawless with Hornady Critical Defense ammo. Get yours today!
The time has come to stand for all we believe in.

Glock Certified Armorer
jdt
Levergunner

Post by jdt »

Rihmfire,

Ive got a Bond Arms in 45/410. It is a little much to handle in such a small package. It also doesn't shoot very well. Light loads with 200 gr bullets tend to keyhole. I guess not enough barrel to stabalize the bullet.
I keep it loaded with OO buck shot. But even with that, at 15 yards and 4 pellets per round, I'm lucky to hit that target. (I'm not a great shot, but I'm good enough to know when I'm not entirely at fault.)

Probably the best thing about the gun is that the barrels are so easily interchangable. And they are well made.
The gun might be perfect in 38 with a slightly longer barrel.

Anyhow, just my experience.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

sore shoulder wrote:
awp101 wrote:
OK, I'll bite...why?

What I meant was, I run into people constantly who are carrying one of those in their pocket, there are a lot of those out there being carried every day.
Ah, understood! :D
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mescalero wrote:My brother has one of the cut down versions of the S&W 39's I believe with his name and IHMSA charter member # engraved in it.
If I remember correctly, it was gifted to him for his work in IHMSA.
Is it an ASP? Cool guns and one of the best "pocket" guns of it's time.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I used the bond loaded with bird shot in 410 for field work. I took lots of small game with it. I also had the 357 barrel. At 7yds I kept the shots in center of mass on a typical qualification target. I like them. But they ain't small. I would love to try one in 22.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

jeepnik,
Yes,
it is an ASP.
Name & charter member number engraved on it, it is really a cool gun.
And it was free!
bakamorgan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bakamorgan »

My father-in-law just bought a ruger lcp 9mm. Hasn't had the time to put some rounds in it, but he loves the feel of it.

Do they sell extended mags for that if anyone knows off hand? I just havn't gotten around to looking yet.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's some CCW-guns (obviously only a few qualify as "pocket guns") that I've tried over the years, for various amounts of clothing, holsters, and weight...

Ones I liked (and underlined the ones actually tend to use):
  • 45 ACP - Para Ordnance P-14 - best semiauto if I really thought I'd need it.
    45 ACP - Para Ordnance P-12 - two less shots, a bit more 'pocketable'.
    22 LR - Beretta 21 - if I really want a 'pocketable' semiauto (would like it in 380 ACP though).
    44 Mag - Ruger Redhawk - if I really thought I was going to NEED a handgun for protection.
    44 Special - Charter Arms Pug - obviously more practical for pocket or small holster.
    22 WMR - North American Mini - if I really want a 'pocketable' revolver.
Ones I didn't like:
  • 45 ACP - Standard 1911 (AMT) - for the bulk, why not have a double-stack...?
    9mm - Ruger P-85 - for the bulk, why not have a 45 ACP or 40 S&W...?
    9mm - Ruger SR-9c - for the bulk, my P-12 wins - more power and lots of bullets.
    357 Mag - Ruger Speed Six 6-shot - for the bulk, 5 shots of 44 Special won't cause deafness.
    357 mag - Ruger AP-101 5-shot - not enough smaller than the above to justify fewer shots.
    22 WMR - Taurus 8-shot DA revolver - not enough smaller than the above to justify the lesser power.
Bottom line, if I want something without a holster it will probably be the little Beretta-21, or the slightly-more-powerful but less-aimable North American Arms WMR. More often I use a holster and put up with the weight and bulk of the 44 Special Charter Arms. If I really thought I was going to go some unavoidable place full of trouble, the Para Ordnance P-14 or the Redhawk would go with me, though they obviously are NOT "pocket pistols".

I'd like to handle a Beretta 380 'tip-up' to 'replace' my 22 LR version, but a 22 LR in the pocket beats a 45 ACP left at home ANY DAY.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

You really should try a NAA Guardian .32.

It's like a Seecamp only better and less expensive.

Put good ammo in it and it rivals a .38... in a package smaller than a poor man's wallet.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

tman wrote:KelTec .32. Drop it in your pocket, carry it all day, and you don't know it's there. Load it with Buffalo Bore 60 grainhardcast...
Yep. If carrying is a PITA then I don't do it. And despite what one might think, the .32 is lighter than the .380 despite the fact that they look so similar.

A Ruger LCP is a great heater, but I prefer the Kel-Tec .32 stoked with Buffalo Bore pills.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sig p238. Works just like a baby 1911. Have a cheap Blackhawk neoprene pocket holster and it rides in my front jeans pocket easy unless the jeans are too snug. Easy fit with khakis too.

It also works in a wallet pocket inside a wind breaker. -- heck, I can keep the thing anywhere almost --- it also has real sights on it that work well. Headshots at 25 yards are definitely do able , although granted, that's not what the pistol is made for.
It's reasonably entertaining to plink with too due it's good accuracy.
It's a tad expensive, but it's attributes we're worth it to me.

When the clothes are bulkier I can carry my old detective special easy enough and it is a comforting little hunk of steel, but much wider than the sig.
----- Doug
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have a pocket clip NAA 22 mag currently and a P238 to pair up with my P220. I like the 1911 controls on the 238
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot