Cabin Fever caliber decision

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Cabin Fever caliber decision

Post by 3leggedturtle »

OK I am really suffering cabin fever for some reason this winter; trying to keep mind on other things. Am thinking about a 3 week trip thru Montana on the back roads and desolate wildlife areas. Which would you carry of these 2? A Ruger Sec Six 4" SS with 180gr RNFP (13.5grs of 2400) haven't chronoed these yet, or a P94 40S&W with 180gr FP going about 950fps. Really don't have room for a rifle or shotgun.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cabin Fever caliber decision

Post by Mescalero »

The Ruger.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Ruger.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

They are both Ruger :lol:
I'd go with the .357
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

Wish you had a 44 mag or 45 colt for bear country, but the revolver is a sound choice.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

The 357 Ruger! :oops:
NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

another 357!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

In Montana? The .357.

Not a real fan of Ruger autos, though otherwise the .40 will generally do well.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I'd prefer a 44mag or heavy loaded 45 Colt but given what you have Id say the 357 with some 180 Grain hard cast loads. You'll want all the penetration you can get if you run into Ole Grizz :o :o

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Either will work. If I was hunting bear, I'd go with the .357S&W with Buffaloe bore 180 grain hardcast, if I had to choose between the two. For CLOSE UP DEFENCE, accurate bullet placement trumps muzzle velocity, energy and bullet construction. I'd choose the weapon that I could get into action the fastest and place the bullet in the kill zone most accurately.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

Hands down, the .357
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Of the two, .357 Ruger
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Just to stir the pot....Trade that .40 in on a .45acp, and shoot those Buffalo Bore 255gr Hardcast Flat Nose monsters....These have around twice the penetration of regular 230fmj (which are not too bad, either) 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

BlaineG, Trade it in and break up my P95, P94 and P97 set. :P :lol: I already have a P97 in .45. Been going try my loads with the Lee 255RNFP in it. They clock 1050fps or so out of an 18" barrel. Have yet to try them in it or the S/A 1911.
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

How 'bout a S&W 10 in .38 ??? No, wait.............................................

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

357.........take pics!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Neither for me thank you !

I want another S&W 629 4" .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

I carry a Ruger GP-100 in 357 with heavy Buffalo Bore loads in 357 in the spring when blackies are out and grouchy. I consider it a minimum for black bears. For grizzlies, though? NOT. A 40 S&W shouldn't even be on the list if we're talking big bears. The minimum I'd carry in griz country is a 44 mag and, even then, I'd rather carry a big bore rifle. First time you get up close and personal with a griz, you'll wish you had a 444 Marlin, 45-70, 450 marlin or similar. Been there.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

While I can't back this up fully, basic internet searches indicate that you are more likely to be accosted by a human on a trail in the backwoods public areas than you are a bear or other critter. Further, I do not know the array of animals you could encounter but others said Grizzly and I suppose a mt. lion or black bear are possible. Maybe poisonous snakes? Anyway, the 40S&W would provide more firepower and quicker reload for a human defensive encounter. It makes carrying ammo a bit easier and more consolidated. With a 357 your gun has 6 and you have a full box of 50 in your pack, or another 6 on a speed loader or dump pouch. The 40 gives you what 13 loaded and 12 ready to go on your belt (or more). With good bullets the 40 will work fine for cats, snakes and even black bears if used with excellent accuracy and close range. A grizzly bear could be tough for a 357 if the situation is less than ideal so the 40 will give up some basic lethality for a greater round count. You should be shooting a bear or any out-of-season animal to stop the attack and hopefully you can do that with whatever you carry. But, either way you're going to have to report it and wait on game wardens, so as long as you are okay you cannot be overly concerned whether or not the animal is dead or wounded as long as it stops being aggressive. I think the 40 is easier to conceal when you want/need to do that and just as easy to carry open as the 357. For the whole list of possible scenarios, I think the 40 is the better choice for the trip.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

Can't argue the use of the 40 for two-legged varmints, that's for sure and you are right about the odds of running into human problems compared to bear problems. (And here we watched Deliverance, a few nights, ago. :) )

Just remember, though, if you do wound a bear and it runs off, you will not be on the warden's Christmas list. A gun should be used as an absolute last resort with a bear. I carry bear spray and only use the 357 as a backup. Awareness is still the key to avoiding bear trouble.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

86'er and North Country Gal; Understand what your explaining. My 3 main concerns are: 1st, 2 legged varmints. 2nd, Black bear. A very distant 3rd, Grizzlies. Will have Bear spray with I got in Whitehorse. Have spent about 6 months on 5 trips to Alaska, walked by 6 grizz's. 5 were sows with cubs, of those; 4 had twins. Only 1 was a male. Never had trouble and ate at least 5 miles from where I was gonna camp for the nite. Am beginning to think I'll make some heavy loads for the .45 Blackhawk, and bring a small .22 rifle for fun. I figure if a grizz wants you, God and a lucky shot is about the only thing that will save you. I usually spend 2 hours watching my area b4 I bed down for the nite. A cow moose with a calf scares me more than a bear.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

3leggedturtle wrote:86'er and North Country Gal; Understand what your explaining. My 3 main concerns are: 1st, 2 legged varmints. 2nd, Black bear. A very distant 3rd, Grizzlies. Will have Bear spray with I got in Whitehorse. Have spent about 6 months on 5 trips to Alaska, walked by 6 grizz's. 5 were sows with cubs, of those; 4 had twins. Only 1 was a male. Never had trouble and ate at least 5 miles from where I was gonna camp for the nite. Am beginning to think I'll make some heavy loads for the .45 Blackhawk, and bring a small .22 rifle for fun. I figure if a grizz wants you, God and a lucky shot is about the only thing that will save you. I usually spend 2 hours watching my area b4 I bed down for the nite. A cow moose with a calf scares me more than a bear.
Still have the same Honda scoot? That machine is a miracle of modern engineering for all the use it's had.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV