Problem with my 1971 Winchester Model 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
caltx01
Levergunner

Problem with my 1971 Winchester Model 94

Post by caltx01 »

I have a 1971 Winchester Model 94 in .44 Magnum that I am have a problem with. Occasionally when I work the action to eject a fired cartridge and load another the next cartridge in the magazine will pop out underneath the lifter so that I have a cartridge on the lifter ready to be chambered and a cartridge under the lifter so that I cannot close the action.

Obviously there is something worn or out of adjustment that needs attention. Any ideas what might cause this and is it a job best left to a professional gunsmith?

Thank you and greetings from the piney woods of east Texas.

Caltx01
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Hobie

Re: Problem with my 1971 Winchester Model 94

Post by Hobie »

Mine did the same thing but in my ignorant youth (about 1973) I didn't know it was the cartridge stop. That part needs to be built up and reshaped or replaced. http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=27469
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Welcome caltx- what Hobie said. Pull up a stump and sit a spell. Kinda like Home Depot here "U got probs- They got answers" :lol:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum.

Yep, Hobie nailed it.

Just for grins... could you post a picture of the inside of the action from the top. I'd like to see the guide rail configuration in that vintage 94 in .44 Magnum. I had a '69 production, (stolen in 1974), and never did take any pictures of it, let alone the inner workings.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Welcome to the forum.

You have one of the guns on my "must have" list. Never have seen one for sale when I had the cash.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Welcome to the show. Looks like you got your answer. :wink:
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome - the same thing happened with my mid-80's .356 BB94AE.

If you remove the lower link's FWD pivot, and the lever's bolt pin, the link, lever & locking bolt can be withdrawn downward when the lever's fully opened, so you can work on the cartridge stop finger, located on the inside/fwd/top edge/end of the lower link.

Reassembly's just as easy.

John Y Cannuck
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Y Cannuck »

As the others have said, cartridge stop. The little tit at the front of the lower link.

I also have a 1971, mines in 30-30, I bought it new in 1971.
Mine is one of the first after Winchester woke up and stopped putting in stamped parts. (Lucky me) A friends '94, of the same year has stamped parts. His has had multiple failures. Firing pins, cartridge stop, lifter issues.
He's a machinist, and made many of the parts to fix his himself. I think he's fitted a proper cartridge lifter too, but bought that.