New truck gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

New truck gun

Post by rjohns94 »

I picked up a maverick, thunder ranch O/U in 12 bore. 18.5 inch barrel with rails on top, and both sides. Going to mount a surefire scout light on one side. Put a stock ammo holder on it. Has a fiber optic sight and a nice finish on the entire firearm. Composite stock.

I have a tricked out 870 by Nighthawk, but my question is for this two shot shotgun. At home, in truck, in woods, as a "survival tool" what ammo and how much would you carry? In and on the gun currently is OOO, slugs, and #4s. Two of each.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New truck gun

Post by 44shooter »

Your onboard ammo seems about right. I'd keep a box of high brass 4 or 5's and a box of 7.5 or 8 field or clay loads in the truck.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

What kinda 'survival' are we talking about?

The kind where your truck gets stuck in the ditch mid-winter and you're camping for 3-days, or the kinda where unfriendly goons with ill intent are prowling the countryside lookin' for ya?

Right tool for the right job and all that...

:wink:
:lol:
Last edited by FWiedner on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I prefer 4 buck over 00, better pattern density for coyotes, fox and even 2 legged critters. If it twas me I'd carry a few 3" plated 4 buck, a few el' cheapo low count 4 buck (great on coons and closer vermin) and some 2 3/4" #4's. Might carry a couple slugs if they hit where aimed with a bead sight, mine doesn't last I checked.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My 870 Tactical is rigged with a sling which is rigged with two ammo wallets with 10ea 00 buck, plus the six in the mag....I feel I'm good shotgun-wise...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Ammo on the sling is an excellent way to yank yourself off target if you're tracking a target sideways. Newton's Third Law.

I'd go with either Hornady TAP or Federal Flite-Control 00 buck, a couple slugs and a couple birdshot for snake/critter eradication.

Say a pouch with 8 or 10 buck, six slugs and 8 or 10 birdshot ought to do it.

Unless you already own the Surefire Scout, that's a very expensive light that's already been surpassed (I own one). A Surefire Fury or even a G2X is actually brighter (500 or 200 lumens) for less than half the cost.

My Scout was free so I'm not complaining, but I wouldn't go out and buy one specifically these days.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks for the light suggestions. Will check them out.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

What choke do those barrels have? Too bad it doesn't come with screw in choke tubes to up the versatility.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sorry, you lost me when you combined "rails" and "over-under" in the same post. Ok, I admit it, I was distracted by my immediate need to barf...

:wink: I could not have such a thing.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Hobie wrote:Sorry, you lost me when you combined "rails" and "over-under" in the same post. Ok, I admit it, I was distracted by my immediate need to barf...

Come on, Hobie! The website says its tactical, like their tactical leverguns.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie wrote:Sorry, you lost me when you combined "rails" and "over-under" in the same post. Ok, I admit it, I was distracted by my immediate need to barf...

Hey, Uncle Joe sez that's just what you need to fire a couple blasts off the back deck....now, you can actually SEE what you're shooting at....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Another serious question, does that thing have extractors or ejectors? A buddy has a Stoeger Condor Outback O/U; really a nice sized gun for something like coyote or turkey hunting. It has interchangeable choke tubes but only has extractors. Tends to slow things down when the situation gets "tactical".
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ammo on the sling is an excellent way to yank yourself off target if you're tracking a target sideways. Newton's Third Law.
I'll figger it out :lol: Yes, it's heavy, and I'll have to compensate for that. It's also more than enough ammo to contend with a situation. :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Okay, not pointing this out to be a butt, but I ran across some info on the interwebs that this shotgun has some sort of pendulum action block that prevents the gun from firing when pointed down at a steep angle. Could be an important thing to find out before trying to fire down a set of steps at a bad guy. :o Maybe it's internet fiction. :roll:
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

It has extractors and cylinder bore...and no automatic safety:

"Mossberg has taken a page from Stoeger’s ‘Double Defense’ playbook with their ‘Thunder Ranch’ edition of the HS2 over-under shotgun. Whatever influence Clint Smith actually had on this design is unknown, but whoever designed it had a great idea when they ditched the automatic safety that plagues most double-barrels . . .

That’s right: when you close the barrels the gun is instantly ready to fire, without any fumbling with the safety button. You can select which barrel fires first, but it won’t make a difference since both tubes are cylinder-bored for speedy pattern dispersion.

It’s got extractors (not ejectors), two muzzle-mounted side rails for lights and lasers (or bayonets, Joe), a fiber-optic front sight and a Picatinny rail scope mount that serves double duty as a rear sight notch.

MSRP: $549."

And yes, it seems they used a sporting action that has a trigger blocking device (sort of like a pendulum) that swings down and prevents it from being fired when pointed down too far. Of course....you could always shoot it upside down.
Last edited by alnitak on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Agreed, I thought EVERYONE knew that only side-by's were acceptable with rails :shock:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

U guys crack me up.
Mike Johnson,

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

nemhed wrote:

Come on, Hobie! The website says its tactical, like their tactical leverguns.
Ooooops, started to come up again... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Lol. I thought the O/U would print slugs better to point of aim. Will have to see.
Mike Johnson,

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I prefer the #4 buck. It gives you a spread pattern as well as keeps dense enough to make a good wound channel if needed in a defensive situation. As far as ammo, I would go for the crossed bandaleers! :lol:
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

An answer in search of a question. Can't point it down the stairs or down a hill or down over the side of a building, useless. Can't regulate the barrels for slugs, nearly useless or, half useful. No ejectors, nearly useless...
Sincerely,

Hobie

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Lol. Just so happens when I took mine apart, that stop fell out. Mine shoots just fine pointing down stairs. And, this is not my primary PD shotgun, just my truck gun. My customized Nighthawk 870 serves as the Primary PDSG. I will give a range report on the slug shooting.
Mike Johnson,

nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I like the thing. Mostly because of the short OAL. I'd love to have one set up with full and modified choke. I could picture myself with one of those laying in my lap while my rifle rests in the shooting sticks, ready to wreak havoc on the coyote population both near and far! It would be totally camo'd, of course, which would make it uber-tactical. :wink: I wonder if I could "jungle clip" two H&R Toppers together and make that look tactical? :lol:
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Hobie wrote:Image
An answer in search of a question. Can't point it down the stairs or down a hill or down over the side of a building, useless. Can't regulate the barrels for slugs, nearly useless or, half useful. No ejectors, nearly useless...
But it's tacticool!

(doesn't do anything for me either)
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.