Anyone wear a Ghillie suit hunting?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Anyone wear a Ghillie suit hunting?

Post by mod71alaska »

How do you like hunting wearing a Ghillie suit? For what game and how are you hunting?
Concho
Levergunner

Re: Anyone wear a Ghillie suit hunting?

Post by Concho »

I had one once, and it worked extremely well. I used it hunting deer crossings on property where I had no stand. My wife ruined it in the dryer. So i don't have it anymore. If you are going to get one, don't get the kit. It's way too much trouble. They have them ready made now. I got mine from Cheaper Than Dirt. I'm wanting another one. If you use the grease paint on you're face and wear gloves, there's no better cammo available. Especially if you want to carry a fold-up hunter's chair in the woods and hunt a heavy deer crossing. I killed a 140 class whitetail 3 years ago this way.
loose your temper, and you loose a friend, lie and you loose yourself.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

toooo hot down here for that...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Yes. For both archery deer and wild turkey. It is great for such an application. What I do like is that I can wear it over my work clothes and then go to work or vice versa.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Seems like a good way to get shot...
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I'm planning to use one to archery hunt antelope near my house.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Unless hunters in your area randomly shoot bushes, why would you get shot?

Ghillie suits were originally intended for gillies (gamekeepers) to stalk up on deer herds in Scotland and BUTTS their health from close range, as well as cull the herds. Snipers adopted them in WW1 when they used gillies to train the British Army snipers in fieldcraft.

They're very effective, but traditional (burlap and cotton) ones can be heavy and hot. The mesh ones maybe not so much (haven't tried one yet) but used correctly, you disappear.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

MrMurphy wrote:Unless hunters in your area randomly shoot bushes, why would you get shot?

Ghillie suits were originally intended for gillies (gamekeepers) to stalk up on deer herds in Scotland and BUTTS their health from close range, as well as cull the herds. Snipers adopted them in WW1 when they used gillies to train the British Army snipers in fieldcraft.

They're very effective, but traditional (burlap and cotton) ones can be heavy and hot. The mesh ones maybe not so much (haven't tried one yet) but used correctly, you disappear.
It's effective camoflauge if configured for the environment and used correctly.

I'd guess that it depends on where you hunt and whom other than yourself might be in the area.

There are a thousand documented cases of careless hunters shooting other hunters that they thought were something else.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

I used one for hunting coyote in eastern Kansas years ago. It made a great windbreak during the cooler months. I haven't used it in quite a while, but it's probably still hanging out in the tool shed.
Well done is better than well said.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Victor,
I was just looking at a Midway flyer I got in the mail. They have a camo Ghillie suit on sale for $58.99. Made by Atlantco.
Jim
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

jkbrea wrote:Victor,
I was just looking at a Midway flyer I got in the mail. They have a camo Ghillie suit on sale for $58.99. Made by Atlantco.
Jim
Jim, that's what stared me thinking, plus a couple of nice tom turkeys on the property this week. I'm going to sight in a 9422M with a new Leupold scope over the weekend.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Used it a few years back to hunt turkeys on my property, very effective and mobile. Was tired of bringing the portable blind with me. The only complaint I have it was a tick magnet! :|

Mainehunter :wink:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Here in VA it would only be legal during other than the regular gun season for deer. Really good camo does help get closer to deer, even when still hunting. Even issue woodland camo works in our area. The KEY, I think, is to cover the FACE and to not have big eyes, aka glasses.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

FatJackDurham wrote:Seems like a good way to get shot...
+1

I can understand the need for camo when bowhunting, however, IMO, dont think firearms requires camo. KANSAS is a HUNTERS ORANGE state so it would be illegal unless you had 100 inches of HO on each side as well as your hat.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

MrMurphy wrote:Unless hunters in your area randomly shoot bushes, why would you get shot?
During bow season here, a hunter shot another hunter... Who was in a tree stand!!!!

There are too many hunters that hear a rustling in the bushes and pull the trigger. It seems to me, if you are wearing a bush.....
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I hunt private land, it's not an issue. Anything two-legged on the property other than myself is either the owner (who knows i'm there) or a trespasser in a state that takes 'trespassers will be shot' very seriously on well marked land...

I remember a guy in NY I think who shot two different guys in 100% hunter orange in tree stands claiming he thought they were bears about to attack him.

Yeah, he did time........
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

FatJackDurham wrote:
During bow season here, a hunter shot another hunter... Who was in a tree stand!!!!
This post requires a photo of a deer hiding in a tree.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I've toyed with the idea but over the years have come to believe that while being essential in CERTAIN applications, that any camo is over rated for the majority of hunting. Being still most of the time and only moving slowing when the critter is also moving works no matter what you are wearing. Critter stops, I stop.

Just never noticed my success rates going up or down no matter what I've been wearing. But then Turkey hunting is something I've intentionally avoided for years.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

"My wife ruined it in the dryer"

Respectfully, they are not supposed to be laundered. Traditonally, they are supposed to be nasty & smelly to disguise human scent. Some guys store them in dry dirt for a day or two before use. Use a steel, not plastic (which may have an odor from its original use), 5 gallon bucket & lid for storage or conditioning.

If you have snow where you hunt & want to make your own suit , start with a well used butcher smock. Hereabouts, they can be had from uniform rentals for about $2

I think they work but I don't use mine. I can't stand being in that filthy thing.
kasTX
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kasTX »

http://themetapicture.com/hunting-youre-doing-it-wrong/
kasTX
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kasTX »

The KEY, I think, is to cover the FACE and to not have big eyes, aka glasses.
I have thought the same thing for some time. I suppose anything larger than a rabbit that has eyes in the front of its head is a threat to deer, and they are conditioned to notice such things. I have not seen any research to verify this though. What I wear otherwise (jeans, hunter orange, blue jacket, etc) doesn't seem to matter so much.

I have a piece of fine camo netting that I have worn over my head while hunting that completely obscures the outline of my head and my eyes, but I can still see out of. Wearing it I have had deer walk almost within touching distance, at which point my scent gives me away. I have never had deer get that close with my eyes exposed except when far enough up a tree the deer weren't looking that high to begin with.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

kasTX wrote:
http://themetapicture.com/hunting-youre-doing-it-wrong/
That's a real photo taken in Vermont! :lol: :lol: :lol:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I have one I made use it for predators. Also wear it for paintball in cooler months.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

For those who have hunted using a Ghillie Suit, any suggestions of what to look for and what to avoid in a suit? I would get one in "woodlands" camo, which looks perfect for our woods in northern NH. Also a suit with a mosquito net backing for both coolness and to keep the mosquitos and ticks off. But what about the camo material itself? I see some are made with synthetic yarn, some synthetic cut fabric, etc. Any suggestions?

This is the suit I am looking at. I think the "woodlands" camo is perfect and the price is right. http://www.surplusplanet360.com/Ghillie ... -7738.html#

What do you think?
Gunnin'Wreck

Post by Gunnin'Wreck »

This may be a really stupid question: Does the suit ever interfere with the bowstring when you are bowhunting?
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

kasTX wrote:
The KEY, I think, is to cover the FACE and to not have big eyes, aka glasses.
I have thought the same thing for some time. I suppose anything larger than a rabbit that has eyes in the front of its head is a threat to deer, and they are conditioned to notice such things. I have not seen any research to verify this though. What I wear otherwise (jeans, hunter orange, blue jacket, etc) doesn't seem to matter so much.

I have a piece of fine camo netting that I have worn over my head while hunting that completely obscures the outline of my head and my eyes, but I can still see out of. Wearing it I have had deer walk almost within touching distance, at which point my scent gives me away. I have never had deer get that close with my eyes exposed except when far enough up a tree the deer weren't looking that high to begin with.
Years ago, I was bow hunting and snuck up on a whitetail buck that was bedded down at the base of a large pine tree. I decided I wanted to see if I could get to the back of the tree without busting the buck. He heard me and stood up and was looking at me. I was wearing camo pants and coat, a stocking cap, and was 7 steps from him. He stared at me without any reaction for about 10 seconds until I blinked. From that distance I saw his eyes widen and his nostrils flare out when he recognized that I was a critter. He then proceeded to hightail it to the next county!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

How are they aroung multiflora rose and prickery stuff. That's all we have and I can't imagine trying to be quiet while constantly trying to untangle.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

They suck in the prickly stuff. Spent a good hour trying to disentangle from a BlackBerry vine once :oops:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

JReed wrote:They suck in the prickly stuff. Spent a good hour trying to disentangle from a BlackBerry vine once :oops:
That's what I was thinking might be the case. I guess I'll never use one since rose and briar are everywhere here.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom