Killed a tough S.O.B. ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Killed a tough S.O.B. ...

Post by 86er »

Last night I decided on a whim to see if any hogs were roaming our property. I grabbed the Henry 30-30 and some Grizzly Cartridge ammo and headed to a known spot. After a little while, three whitetail bucks with new horns coming on started feeding around. I eased out and left them alone while I headed to another spot. Once settled in only minutes passed when I saw a rabbit stand up on its hind legs being attentive. In a few seconds the rabbit took off on a full speed run, a sure sign that something was coming. I eased the rifle up just as a big boar hog stepped out of the brush. At 100 yards, I put the gold bead right in the center of his shoulder and pressed the trigger. The hog humped up and lurched forward, causing his butt to flip over his left shoulder in a half sommersalt. I approached the hog and found it was dead. My shot had hit high in the shoulder on the right side and there was a substantial exit wound on the left just behind and underneath the armpit. The angle was due to the elevation I had on him when I fired. That 170 grain Nosler Partition does 2369 fps from this 20" octagon barrel and it caused quite a bit of damage and a large exit hole. Upon skinning the hog I made some astonishing discoveries! His skin was about 5/8" thick all over and nearly and inch on the shoulder plates. On top of the right hip just under the skin I found a round lead "buckshot" pellet. I thought that was pretty cool until I found another bullet on the side of his left hip! This one was a .22 diameter lead mushroom with a boattail that from all evidence is the core of a formerly jacketed bullet that suffered seperation. At home it weighed 36.7 grains. Then I really got surprised! Under the shoulder plate just at the edge of the fatty plate and flesh was yet another bullet! This one is a jacketed bullet that turned out to be 6mm diameter and weighs 87.6 gains. My best guess is that is was once a 100 grain possibly from a 243 Win. This was not the biggest hog I've shot but it is one of the oldest based on the condition of his teeth. He is going to be one of the most memorable though!

Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Killed a tough S.O.B. ...

Post by earlmck »

Wow! The hide on that old boy must have been pretty close to kevlar. Good thing you had the "Big Boy" load in the 30/30.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Interesting report that puts bullet performance in an interesting perspective. Particularly considering some of the recent threads.

I'm also really amazed at the hide thickness. Wish you had put a 10mm into it before skinning it out. :D
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Admit it - you faked the whole thing - everyone knows you can't kill a wild hog without something in at least 45 caliber, unless there is a 'belt' on the cartridge case... :roll: Them Henry's ain't no good neither - that hog really died of fright when it saw the glare off that shiny receiver, instead of that puny little 30-30 bullet. :D

Seriously - it is always good to have a gun to grab when out choring or checking things, and doubly good to have a trusty on that always does what it is supposed to. 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Congrats...
tough ****' indeed...
thats why i like to shoot them couple inches below and behind the ear...

nice lookn rifle too
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Good Hunt 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
grouse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by grouse »

Great story! The "old" 30-30 always up to task.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Great report! And with pics too! Always a plus. Almost makes me wish we had hogs on our property but not really.... they're very destructive and I imagine the dogs would constantly be chasing after them.

They are in the area but not immediately around us - yet...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Pretty darn gaudy rifle there :) Tough old bugger!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Well done. Wish there were hogs to chase here. Very nice. 30-30 reigns again!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Amazing! Great report. Thanks!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
1894c

Post by 1894c »

86er -- nice pig, great photos, interesting commentary on the recovered bullets, and like you i'm starting to appreciate the Henry rifles too (have two Henry's in .22cal)...glad to see that the 30-30 (my personal favorite) is a death-ray on an old S.O.B. ... :)

P.S.--if you don't own a 30-30 (.30-W.C.F.), or if you had one but let it go
to chase after the latest, fastest, or the coolest, then you owe it to yourself
to get one, you'll be amazed at the versatility...just saying...
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bet the two rifles were scoped as well eh!

Then comes along a humble rifleman with the good for nuffin' 30wcf and flattens Mr piggy lol :lol:

Nice one Joe :)

Nath .
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Great story, info, and pix, Joe. Thank you!

That's definitely a mean looking ol' critter in the photo.

The hog looks kinda ornery, too.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

amazing, you should send that in to a hunting show. I wonder who the four other irritated hunters were....
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

I promise that was not my .243 bullet, they don't run away when I hit them with the little winchester. How do you like those henrys? I was looking at one, since the new marlins have been questionable. Amanda wants a classic looking gun for buffalo/bison. That henry may fit the bill.
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

Great work Joe! Ain't nothin a Henry Rifle can't do in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.
Can't wait to get over there & hunt with you again next year.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Good spur of the moment hunt. I love the 30-30 stories. What a round! Is that ol boy gonna be good eatin?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Cool Joe! Great read!
That is one tough critter indeed!
With most on here taking that critter with a gun----------wow it grabs my attention real quick-----but Joe,being its you------though that indeed is one heck of a tough trophy and fine hunt and kill--------with you I can't help but get just a wee little bit let down Joe ??

Why-----------------being it's you brother, every so often I am looking foward to seeing you covered in that red stuff(the hog's, not yours,well maybe a tad could be yours??) and intead of a fine looking gun-----be wanting to see that long poled sharp spear and that real wild eyed look that only you can have. :D :mrgreen:

But ok, I guess if it has to be with just a gun----------------------------------all righty then-------------just will say---well done friend, well done! :wink: :lol:
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Thank you for the posting and the time getting your hands dirty for that additional information.

Amazing.

That is morbidly fascinating that the old s.o.b. took that many hits, considered substantial and was still upright and doing damage.

.30-30 is nice...assuming choices in dealing with something like that I'm unlimbering the .45/70. Ya just can't be too sure, ya know.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I've made a few more assessments based on analysis of the dead critter and other information and intelligence. This hog was a crop raider. His stomach was full of agricultural produce and their is some talk from neighbors about a boar hog raiding thier fields. Furthermore, this hog was not intimidated by the presence of humans or machinery as long as there was a reasonable distance. He is alleged to be the same hog that would come out into a field with a working tractor or pick-up trucks or even workers as long as they were a few hundred yards from him. This hog was not nocturnal - he has been observed on trail cameras and in person in broad daylight. He had raided a family garden several times and also ate scrap chicken feed that was scattered through the wire. Other neighbors reported this so is it assumed that the family that owns that property are the one responsible for the buckshot. Most likely, the hog was several hundred yards across a field when someone shot him with some kind of .22 centerfire. That was most likely not a premium or bonded bullet since the jacket is unaccounted for and the lead core is partially expanded and only penetrated an inch. The 6mm bullet seems to have been either a 90 or 100 grain projectile. It is deformed at the tip but not mushroomed. It penetrated only 2 or 3 inches on a hard angle. It was most likely fired from quite a distance as that would account for the shallow expansion and lack of penetration. Very close up may have failed to penetrate but I think the bullet would have been more deformed and the exterior wound would have been obvious. The 170 grain Nosler Partition that I used hit high on the shoulder, just below the spine. There is a narrow soft zone there that is no protected by the thick gristle nor the scapular bone. The bullet clearly expanded as the lungs showed a wound channel about an inch in diameter. It exited under the thinnest part of the hide just behind the front leg and did not seem to encounter any bones. I actually hit about 3-inches higher than I aimed but in hindsight that may have been fortunate. Terminal ballistics always keep me intrigued.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

"The 170 grain Nosler Partition that I used hit high on the shoulder, just below the spine. There is a narrow soft zone there that is no protected by the thick gristle nor the scapular bone. The bullet clearly expanded as the lungs showed a wound channel about an inch in diameter. It exited under the thinnest part of the hide just behind the front leg and did not seem to encounter any bones. I actually hit about 3-inches higher than I aimed but in hindsight that may have been fortunate. "
What bullet performance (ie penetration) would have been expected if you had hit outside the "narrow soft zone"?
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Bullard - I cant be sure but I think I may not have gotten through and through penetration. I think it would have easy been deadly but quite possibly the bullet would have expanded very quickly and like Partitions do, lost its front.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Joe, have you evidence of partitions losing their fronts in 30wcf as in the faster chamberings?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

When PillHer was there, she saw one pig. It ran away when she whooped in excitement. Not even 1 shot fired. The coyote that was playing around to our left was in a place that we couldn't get a shot at him.

I wonder if my 7mm08 with the 140 grain Ballistic Silvertip would have worked on that boar? Sighthunter's .243 with the 90 grain GMX bullets are also a question. That was one tough old hog.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Ant reasonable caliber would work with the right shot placement. I have not had many 30-30 Partitions lose the front on deer but it almost always happens on hogs. These are going much faster than a typical load so that probably makes it worse.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Fascinating!
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

Good job! A friend of mine told me: "I've shot hogs with a lot of different rifles, but every one I ever shot with a 30-30 just dropped dead!"
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That was one tough hog! Not as tough as that supernatural goat that time though.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great report......thank you Joe!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Supernatural goat?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

30/30 does it again :mrgreen: Do you or anyone else ever make any "projects" out of the hides from the hogs you shoot.? BTW I finally looked at he 38/40 Improved Rimless brass you sent me (40S&W) 3/4 of'em were nickel plated. That was nice bonus. Thanks. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Thanks for the report Joe. How is that Henry .30-30? The one I handled was very front (barrel) heavy and I'd think it wouldn't be a good walk around gun. I've never used a Partition on a hog but have used a 170gr, .30-30, Winchester, Super X, Power Point with good results.

As old as he was, I'd bet he won't be good eating.
Last edited by Modoc ED on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ED
Yer never too old
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nath wrote:Bet the two rifles were scoped as well eh!

Then comes along a humble rifleman with the good for nuffin' 30wcf and flattens Mr piggy lol :lol:

Nice one Joe :)

Nath .
+1!!! ImageImage
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Mescalero wrote:Supernatural goat?
Who could forget this critter?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22584
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Holy carp!!!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Mescalero wrote: Holy carp!!!
WHAT HE SAID...call in the exorcist...yikes...that's one scary looking "supernatural" devil goat... :O
the-exorcist-priest.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Good show, Joe!
I see that you are practicing for the upcoming pigeon shoot.

Me too, by repairing my green tractor - I was opening the pasture gate Saturday to do some mowing and saw some yellow green drips under the engine and since tractors do not pee --- it turned out to be a split original water hose, so I ordered that and some other small stuff and will go in to JD in McKinney today to pick up parts.
Then a few hours servicing the tractor and mower and maybe I can get back to the pasture before the grass is two feet tall.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Joe -

Was that one of the evaluation pair Anthony sent you?

What a tough old hog! Great story!!!