Met Someone Intersting at the Range Yesterday

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Met Someone Intersting at the Range Yesterday

Post by Pop Watts »

It was the second time I have talked to this guy at the range.

He owns his own business making theatre tools to perform keyhole surgery, so he has a lot of very precise CNC type machines at his disposal. As a hobby he has spent 5 years CNC machining his own projectiles to get the best accuracy out of his single shot 220 Russian Improved that is necked out to 6mm. Not sure what he calls it but he made his own reamer and dies etc. So as I am drooling over his brass and aluminium fully adjustable bench rest that took him 4 months of his spare time to build he showed me his best projectile ever - and it looks like a lead cast projectile I shoot in my 25-35. His super projectile has 3 driving bands on it that engage the rifling and seal the bore to get the best out of his powder burn. The nose of the projectile rides inside the lands (he calls it a bore guide) and has a flat tip.

What the? He has made projectiles the same shape as a lot of us are shooting in old lever guns - but I admit that his are machined to much tighter tolerances and are machined from bar stock made of secret alloy to his own specs.

Well he is a great bloke who is passionate about his shooting and I left with his details and an invitation to visit his workshop any time I can get there.

Now all I have to do is convince him to get rid of that funny bolt gun he is playing with and start making some nice machined projectiles for some of my old lever guns.

Pop.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Met Someone Intersting at the Range Yesterday

Post by rjohns94 »

Very kewl. Let us know if you convince him to come over into the light of lever guns. :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Very interesting. I'd like to know why the blunt nose? It also sounds like he's talking about 6mm PPC, which is based on the .220 Russian as well, but his could be of some alternate case length and shoulder angle. As an FYI, the 6.5mm Grendel s also developed from the .220 Russian, but I'm not sure how popular AR type chamberings are in Oz.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'd like to know why the blunt nose?
For some reason, blunt will have a less erratic flight path as opposed to sharp nosed. I do not know the reason, but, it's along the lines of dimpled golf balls, and blunt torpedos being easier to keep on course than other designs....Maybe that's why our levers seem so dang accurate: bullet design for tube mags....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

BlaineG wrote:
For some reason, blunt will have a less erratic flight path as opposed to sharp nosed. I do not know the reason, but, it's along the lines of dimpled golf balls, and blunt torpedos being easier to keep on course than other designs....Maybe that's why our levers seem so dang accurate: bullet design for tube mags....
It has to do with the location of the center of pressure and the center of gravity of the two different shapes. The pointed bullet's center of pressure is farther ahead of the center of gravity so side forces are more destabilizing.

The dimpled gulf ball has to do with boundary layer flow and I am not going there.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Marc wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
It has to do with the location of the center of pressure and the center of gravity of the two different shapes. The pointed bullet's center of pressure is farther ahead of the center of gravity so side forces are more destabilizing.

The dimpled gulf ball has to do with boundary layer flow and I am not going there.
It's Black Magic, I tell ya.... :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

The real question is:

Whats he think of the .243 Win. as a deer round :P
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

casastahle wrote:The real question is:

Whats he think of the .243 Win. as a deer round :P
Probably the same thing Elmer Keith said about the 243: IIRC, he said it was excellent...... the best varmint round available at the time.

i agree with him.
cable
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Pops. I had a friend like that when I was 11. He taught me to reload. He would also lathe turn brass, bronze and copper into bullets. Said he was part of a team that was making projectiles out of alternative metals for the military, When copper and lead was short in supply. He also made his own reamers for 25 Krag, 25/303 British and a few others. I only have a few bullet molds he made as a reminder of him. One is out of brass. The other is a 330gr or so Blunt RN boolit for a .45 colt. Also have a Spire Point with a meplat a little bigger than a large rifle primer for the 45/70. I remember him saying it was made this way in case some one tried to use it in a lever action. Hope you have many more range and bull sessions with him. 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Marc wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

Thanks guys.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright