OT: Opening day was a bust....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

OT: Opening day was a bust....

Post by bigbore442001 »

I went out for the opening morning of turkey season in Massachusetts. On Sunday night I put one gobbler to bed( that is when you scout at nightfall and make some owl calls to determine the location of a roosted bird)

I had my Thompson Center Black Mountain magnum 12 gauge loaded with 2 oz of no 5 shot and sparked by a CCI musket cap. I made sure my green safety sticker was on it( I know it detracts from the looks but I don't want to pay the fine for not having it.)

I crossed a friend's property where he has a small camp and has seen birds in the area. As the morning went on I heard some gobbles. So I moved approximately 100 yards from the birds. The birds were roosting on another piece of property where the owner doesn't allow hunting. I'll respect his boundaries and stay where I am allowed.

I made some soft purrs and nice yelps on my glass pot caller. I got some responses and then waited. In this game you don't want to overcall.

Then all of a sudden I heard a gunshot about 80 yards or so from me. Then I hear some branches breaking, wing flaps and a dull thud.

Someone went onto the posted land when the owner was away at work( he is a teacher and leaves early) and then shot a roosted bird.

Needless to say, my morning was shot. I did walk around a bit making some calls but to no avail. Sometimes that is the nature of turkey hunting in Massachusetts.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Opening day was a bust....

Post by Pete44ru »

bigbore442001 wrote: I heard a gunshot about 80 yards or so from me. Then I hear some branches breaking, wing flaps and a dull thud.
Someone went onto the posted land when the owner was away at work( he is a teacher and leaves early) and then shot a roosted bird.
Sometimes that is the nature of turkey hunting in Massachusetts.
Slob hunters & tresspassers upset me no end - they make honest work (scouting & h-u-n-t-i-n-g ARE work IMO ) seem fruitless, but I hope that anyone disappointed won't stoop to their level, and lose their class ("Sportsman").

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Pete44ru wrote: Slob hunters & tresspassers upset me no end - they make honest work (scouting & h-u-n-t-i-n-g ARE work IMO ) seem fruitless, but I hope that anyone disappointed won't stoop to their level, and lose their class ("Sportsman").

Amen!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've never heard of the green safety sticker? What is it and how does it work?

Thanks,
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Don't even know if I am going out in the (am)
There are so many running around here---------one thing for sure-----------not much sport!
Wife had to beep at them last night coming home because there was about 15 in the driveway! :lol:
See them everyday walking the pooch on the trails in the woods!
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Rusty wrote:I've never heard of the green safety sticker? What is it and how does it work?

Thanks,
The green safety sticker is a circular sticker that has printed Hunt Safe on it. If you don't have it pasted on your shotgun you may be fined $75. by a Massachusetts EPO.

This came about because of a turkey hunting accident near my home town back in the early 90's .
1894c

Post by 1894c »

bigbore442001 wrote:
Rusty wrote:I've never heard of the green safety sticker? What is it and how does it work?

Thanks,
The green safety sticker is a circular sticker that has printed Hunt Safe on it. If you don't have it pasted on your shotgun you may be fined $75. by a Massachusetts EPO.

This came about because of a turkey hunting accident near my home town back in the early 90's .
stickers always make me feel safer...let's just print a sticker and all of the world problems are solved...sorry...couldn't resist... :)
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

If they check you and you do have the sticker do you get a gold star to go along with it???

That is just about the stupidest thing I ever heard of. Green sticker my foot! :shock:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I don't know,
my lead auditor got charged with Christmas decorations one year.
So she comes back and gives me a little xmas tree for my desk, complete with lights.
Then she says " don't plug it in, we are trying to save on electricity ". :shock: :?
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is low down to shoot a turkey off the roost.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Dave wrote:That is low down to shoot a turkey off the roost.

No real hunter would do that-----------------------------------absolute disgrace to hunting in all aspects. :roll:
I went out the first day(Wed)and there are setting hens all over heck. Called in three Jakes real close,didn't pull the trigger coming back to house at 10am kicked off 2 setting hens from nests just from a log road.Last time out since.
Had a gobbler struting in yard this am with two deer eating new sprouting plants. :lol:

Can hear from distances guns going off-----but thinking here------------these are some safe birds!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

madman4570 wrote:
No real hunter would do that...
Sez "poacher" to me. Especially stealin' from a posted property. Regardless how I feel about folks that don't allow hunting, (& don't hunt themselves)... stealin' what another man has is poachin'.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Griff wrote:
madman4570 wrote:
No real hunter would do that...
Sez "poacher" to me. Especially stealin' from a posted property. Regardless how I feel about folks that don't allow hunting, (& don't hunt themselves)... stealin' what another man has is poachin'.
Hear what your saying Griff! :wink:
That brings up an interesting topic one of these days we will have to discuss (those who post/do not post???)
It's funny----though I know no one "owns the wild crtiiters"that we are lucky enough to grace us.I have found that hunting your own land----------gives somewhat of a different mind set to say hunting on Public Lands etc.
From much observations I have had(and by no means is this not an absolute/all/even most????)but with many------I seem to equate those that just show up (thinking heck I am just hunting it anyway etc.) being somewhat comparable to those that own say a home and those that rent!
Again---------guys on here that rent---------I am sure you guys ain't in that mix!

But you know what I mean-----your at your place-----a UHAUL truck pulls up----then all he## breaks loose with 6 kids come storming out running through everyone's yards etc. and then you hear this slanged pallet yelling from "daddy" JUNIOR" you get back here/now!

This year with the birds------I normally hunt spring birds hard------but this year other things were pressing more and my thinking-----let em chill. Also------this spring (ticks absolutely unreal)---maybe was just that big oak tree ???? and there was both wood and deer types.
But setting up against that tree (first day) had 6 or 7 that were on me!
Guess when you even look out on the lawn and see deer/turkey etc.-------------------what do you expect????????