Rare sight - Roadrunner

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Rare sight - Roadrunner

Post by Griff »

Well rare as far as my backyard is concerned!

Drove up into the driveway yesterday after shoppin', and found a roadrunner in the driveway... couldn't reach my camera or phone before he disappeared into my back pasture! Today, the same... but, he stuck around a little.
He'd just run under the gate and stopped to look as I slowly opened my p/u door and had my camera phone at the ready. He's just barely visible in the retangle of the gate between the trailer and brush.

He then turned and ran a few steps behind some brush, where I couldn't see him. After workin' my way up to the right of my trailer, I got another view of him:

He's in the upper right retangle in the gate, almost obscured by the weeds I call "native pasture".

Blown up:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rare sight - Roadrunner

Post by 86er »

That's pretty cool! We've always had some on our property 35 miles NE of here, but recently I noticed a few around (on Rochelle) here and there much closer to home. First time in the 6 yrs I've been here that we see them close to home. What do you do to keep them around? I mean besides killing Wylie Coyote?
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I have some next to the house. They like the brush and briars that they can hide in from predators. Got a few bobwhite, too. Same reason.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

At my place in N.M. they come up to the house.
It is quite entertaining as they ( I assume ) can see thier reflection in the sliding glass door.
They then engage in a mating ritual ( I assume ) dance and will carry on for a long while, it is fun and funny to sit and watch them. :D
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

In Palm Springs my mom used to feed one while she would be cooking. It got to where this roadrunner would be at the back kitchen door making these loud clicking noises until she opened the door to feed it. It was partial to raw hamburger. One day it showed up with a partner. This went on for quite some time. They are fun to watch.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

there was a rebar rooster tomato stake in our front yard for awhile. I didn't think it looked like much, but a roadrunner must have liked it - or fallen in love with it - and came to visit it every day.

In Caprock Canyons State Park, the roadrunners are tame, hang out in your campground, and dart between your legs - never seen anything like it before

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Coolest bird around. We have a fair number of them in Arizona. (I think NM beat us to the "state bird" honors, so ours is the cactus wren!) They are fun to watch and do seem to race along the highway with the cars. Years ago I saw a roadrunner take on a good sized rattler. No problem. Liked 'em a lot before. Loved 'em a lot after seeing that!
Last edited by gak on Mon May 06, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I haven't seen a Roadrunner since moving to Ill. Oh, right, they don't live here .... :(

Hey Griff, can I borrow your horse trailer? Don't look like you use it much. :)

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:I haven't seen a Roadrunner since moving to Ill. Oh, right, they don't live here .... :(
Hey Griff, can I borrow your horse trailer? Don't look like you use it much. :)
Joe
Once a year to get the girls to the vet... Used to use it a LOT. Not so much anymore. No brakes on it... and anything inside is likely to get wet if it rains.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

They also eat quail and quail eggs. I have seen them do it many times. Coons and Skunks are hard on quail as well as yotes obviously. RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

86er wrote:That's pretty cool! We've always had some on our property 35 miles NE of here, but recently I noticed a few around (on Rochelle) here and there much closer to home. First time in the 6 yrs I've been here that we see them close to home. What do you do to keep them around? I mean besides killing Wylie Coyote?

They love baby Quail, Lizards, snakes, and those big green giant size grasshopper's.

If you have plenty of those you will have plenty of Roadrunner's.

---J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Do they really go "Beep, Beep"??
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

mack wrote:Do they really go "Beep, Beep"??
Only when you salt their tail.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

I'd swap ya a shag and 2 s*** pokes, just to see one in the wild!
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Last deer season we were watching 4 or 5 does and fawns down on a little ridge to see if a buck would join them. Sure enough one of the does started watching down the ridge. It wasn't a buck! I saw something small with a long tail pass the doe. She followed it up the hill a ways. It got in the open and it was a road runner. A little later the deer were moving off the ridge toward us so I put the binoculars on them again and they were following the roadrunner! I don't know what the fascination was but it was funny to see!

I saw one on the road last week.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

They are real cool, have good personalities.
I talk to them and many times they turn thier heads as if they are listening.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

They will wipeout quail and pheasant nests pretty fast and wouldn't doubt if they will raid turkey eggs too.They are neat birds but
I have heard they are going into areas were they never had them.Just the same as armadillos.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That is NOT a roadrunner.....I"ve SEEN roadrunners every saturday morning for over 60 years.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:shock: :lol:
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have four that roam my back yard at the lake. One is the size of a chicken. I don't care for them on the ranch but they are protected, so are the Caracara. :wink: RR7

P.S. Quail taste great, I'm not sure about Roadrunner or Caracara. :shock:
"That'll Be The Day"
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

I have them all over the place down in South TX. They kill all the birds we're trying hunt...
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Sorry to ask but I do live in Australia and have absolutely no idea - so, how big is a Roadrunner? The pics make him look smaller than I imagined, but I have only got a certain cartoon to base my assumptions on.
I laugh when people come to Australia and expect to see Kangaroos jumping around Pitt St in Sydney, so now my dear American brothers, it is time to laugh at me because I always thought a Roadrunner was the size of an Emu, but it looks more like the size of a Curlew.
Help me out by not letting me embarras myself any further.
Pop
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

body is smaller than a chicken, but he is taller because of his legs.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Mescalero wrote:body is smaller than a chicken, but he is taller because of his legs.
Bingo.

They sit still sometimes too, but not often!

Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Mescalero wrote:body is smaller than a chicken, but he is taller because of his legs.
I was gonna say pheasant sized, but leaner
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

rangerider7 wrote:They also eat quail and quail eggs. I have seen them do it many times. Coons and Skunks are hard on quail as well as yotes obviously. RR7
I havent seen one of those in a few years.

I never thought much about what all they eat, I just assumed it was ACME BIRD SEED! :lol:
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Have you ever seen the skeletal head of a lizard or horned toad impaled on a spanish dagger?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Pop Watts wrote:Sorry to ask but I do live in Australia and have absolutely no idea - so, how big is a Roadrunner? The pics make him look smaller than I imagined, but I have only got a certain cartoon to base my assumptions on.
I laugh when people come to Australia and expect to see Kangaroos jumping around Pitt St in Sydney, so now my dear American brothers, it is time to laugh at me because I always thought a Roadrunner was the size of an Emu, but it looks more like the size of a Curlew.
Help me out by not letting me embarras myself any further.
Pop

That's OK Pop I was looking for a Dodge.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Mescalero wrote:Have you ever seen the skeletal head of a lizard or horned toad impaled on a spanish dagger?
No, but I've seen bugs skewered on cactus spikes.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Griff,
Pretty cool pictures. I 've never seen one except on Saturday mornings when I was a kid. Let us know when you get to take a picture of...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry