Upgraded Marlin 1895 Cowboy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Upgraded Marlin 1895 Cowboy

Post by Pete44ru »

I spotted this upgraded Marlin 1895 elsewhere, and thought it looked authentic enough to interest some here.

The owner said that he replaced the shotgun butt (stock) with an entirely new crescent buttstock/plate, then refinished the forend to match the buttstock.

hightime
Senior Levergunner

Re: Upgraded Marlin 1895 Cowboy

Post by hightime »

I like it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I love the looks, but, them crooked back ends hurt my shoulder :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Brutal is the word that comes to mind.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I would call that downgraded.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

looks nice but I bet it hurts with hot loads! :shock:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Looks like an 1893 with a round bolt.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Love the look and have thought of doing it to mine but then i go shoot the 86 with same config and change my mind. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Not a fan of the curved buttplate.

Looks good, but the arm is functionally degraded, IMO.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I like it Sure he does too.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I like it a lot! Classic. The crescent butt requires a different mount than a shotgun butt.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I think that it looks great! I like the looks of a curved buttplate; when I shoulder mine, I position the buttplate just off of my shoulder, the bottom of the crescent is pointed just under my armpit. (kind of hard to describe). I also usually have a jacket on when I shoot it which does help dampen the felt recoil.
To me, long octagonal barrels (24"+) combined with a curved buttplate are the most attractive of all of the leveraction rifle styles.
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

damienph wrote:I think that it looks great! I like the looks of a curved buttplate; when I shoulder mine, I position the buttplate just off of my shoulder, the bottom of the crescent is pointed just under my armpit. (kind of hard to describe). I also usually have a jacket on when I shoot it which does help dampen the felt recoil.
To me, long octagonal barrels (24"+) combined with a curved buttplate are the most attractive of all of the leveraction rifle styles.
Eye-Agreee!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Grizzly, can you describe how to accomplish that mount?
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

I though about doing the crescent butt stock and plate from Treebone, or precision buttstocks, but for a 45-70, I was a-skeered. I do like the looks though of the crescent stock with the long barrel.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Eye-Bite! wrote:
damienph wrote:I think that it looks great! I like the looks of a curved buttplate; when I shoulder mine, I position the buttplate just off of my shoulder, the bottom of the crescent is pointed just under my armpit. (kind of hard to describe). I also usually have a jacket on when I shoot it which does help dampen the felt recoil.
Eye-Agreee!
Eye-Agreee + 3 8)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BlaineG wrote:I love the looks, but, them crooked back ends hurt my shoulder :oops:
With all due respect to you, Blaine, and to the others who've commented on how "bad" a Crescent Butt might be, as Damine & Grizzly Adams posted, they weren't designed to be shot from the shoulder - where they're guaranteed to hurt a shooter.

I've found that they're best when shot with the CB positioned on the juncture of the upper arm & shoulder or directly on the upper arm - where muscle curvature usually more nearly matches that of the CB.

FWIW, I've shot a CB from my shoulder - keeping the boolit weight under 350gr - and found it comfortable enough, but 400-500 grain boolits shot much easier when held as described above.

IMHO, the .45-70 has enough boolit weight/diameter/oomph, that "hot loads" are unnecessary.

Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Mescalero wrote:Grizzly, can you describe how to accomplish that mount?
Pete44ru wrote:

I've found that they're best when shot with the CB positioned on the juncture of the upper arm & shoulder or directly on the upper arm - where muscle curvature usually more nearly matches that of the CB.
+1 on what Pete44ru has described. I position the rifle the same. In mounting it, I bring the rifle up at about a 40-50 degrees to the horizontal plane, and when on the upper arm, I twist it straight to "lock it in." The result is that the toe of the crescent is under the arm pit and kinda braced against the side of the upper rib cage.

I think military training and the increased use of bolt action repeaters, pushed out this style of shooting.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I believe KirkD posted some detailed photos a few years ago showing the proper mount for these curved butt plates. Maybe he'll chime in again. It all made perfect sense after I saw his pictures.