general pupose .45 colt loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

general pupose .45 colt loads

Post by jerry b »

I've been looking for a better "general purpose" load that works well in both rifle and Ruger revolvers (not the NewVaquero). So far, I basically shoot the "Keith load" using 255 gr SWCs and 2400. Or, I substitute a 250 gr XTP. These loads are accurate in all firearms I have had, and I suppose the power is quite sufficient for groundhogs through deer. I can light a real fire under the 250 XTP with L'il Gun for vermin, but the velocity far exceeds Hornady's recommendation, so I certainly would not use it on deer-sized critters.

I am interested in what other bullets other levergunners might recommend and have used to good effect. The really heavy cast bullets would not suit my purposes, I think. However, Spring is approaching, and a middle-aged man's fancy turns to shooting.

Thanks for all your opinions.

jerry b, the elder
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I find 8.7 gr. of Unique and a 255 gr. SWC to be a quite useful load in both my Uberti revolver and my Rossi M92 trapper-style carbine.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Howdy JerryB :D

Surf on over to John Linebaughs site for some great articles by him on the .45 Colt. I've been using an old load since the early sixties (confirmed by his usage) consisting of:

Lyman 454424 260 gr. PB & 10 grs. of Unique. Any std. primer. Goes about 1000 fps. I've shot thru deer lengthwise with the load. So has he & his wife. Just as a general utility load it is hard to beat! As you already know, the old Keith load of 18.5 grs 2400 is the berries. It goes about 1200 to 1250 depending on barrel length. I just don't see the need for anything more since it will go completely thru an elk at the shoulders. Good for defense too as it can be controlled for quick shooting.

As I get older I'm going away from 1500 fps. loads. They are only warrented for long range shooting. Something I have little need for nowadays. I limit my hot loads to 1300 to 1350 since penetration stops increasing for hard cast bullets. IMHO, going faster only burns more powder & increases the recoil.

Best to you & yours,

LeverBob
Last edited by LeverBob on Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jerry b,

Welcome to the forum.

My general purpose .45 Colt load is an old one. 9.0grs Unique and just about any lead bullet from 255grs to 270grs. However it's usually a SWC, and usually my own Lyman 454424. Cast from wheel weights it weighs out at 268grs. I've fired many thousands of this load from all my .45 Colts, both revolvers and lever guns.

For the Hornady 250gr XTP I've used the max load of IMR 4227 as found in Hornady's #5 manual. It's a potent load, within the velocity limitations of the bullet.
Obviously not suitable for Colts, clones, S&Ws, or New Vaqueros.

For a factory equivalent load that I've found very accurate I use 7.1grs of Win 231 under an Ideal (Lyman) 454190 255gr bullet. Sized to .455" and with both grooves lubed. It's a very accurate load from every gun I've tried it from.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Jerry B, My favorite load is the "Keith" load shooting over 1100fps out of the Ruger and about 1500fps out of My 24"Win Legacy. I have shot many of the high-end +P loads and while they are fun I don't see any need for them in Ohio.
I have also shot 200gr Desparado soft-cast over 12-13gr of Hogdons Hs6 which really suprised Me as being accurate and fun to shoot. I am an oddball as I don't care for the standard load of 9gr of Unique with the Keith bullet. I like Keith's load of 2400 much better. Jim.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I use 11 grains of #5 with 255 keith bullets in my .45C
cush
Levergunner

Post by cush »

John Taffin, who knows as much as any man alive today about the .45 Colt, recommends in his current American Handgunner article 8.0 gr of Unique and a hardcast 250-260 gr lead bullet. Comfortable and safe in SA's and rifles in good condition. I don't hunt and I sure wouldn't want to voluntarily shoot a brown bear with this load but Mr Taffen says that it works on anything found in the lower 48, which would include two legged predators, I assume.
cush

"Ride for the brand, or leave"
Conagher (Sam Elliot)
hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hartman »

+1 on Leverbob's reply. Linebaugh's site will give you all the .45 Colt info that is worth having.

Hartman
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

.45colt wrote:Jerry B, My favorite load is the "Keith" load shooting over 1100fps out of the Ruger and about 1500fps out of My 24"Win Legacy. I have shot many of the high-end +P loads and while they are fun I don't see any need for them in Ohio.
I have also shot 200gr Desparado soft-cast over 12-13gr of Hogdons Hs6 which really suprised Me as being accurate and fun to shoot. I am an oddball as I don't care for the standard load of 9gr of Unique with the Keith bullet. I like Keith's load of 2400 much better. Jim.
+1 my favorite too. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Jaguarundi,
Some time ago I responded to a post about big cats on this forum, and some of the guys had a good time of it making light of me about that.
So I wonder , how a guy from Alabama; choses an avatar featuring a Jaguarundi, when I do not think; they have made thier way that far east yet?
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

1. 8.0 grs unique
2. 7.1 grs W231
3. 6.0 grs red dot

with a cast 250 gr bullet has always shot well out of my 45 colt pistols.I have shot more of the above loads than anything else.
pete
DAV life member.
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

255 gr. commercial cast SWC and RN:

7.1 gr. of Win. 231/ SWC bullet--very accurate in a Smith 25-5
9.3 gr. Unique with either bullet--very accurate in multiple .45 Colt revolvers

I haven't fired these in my rifles, but they should be just fine.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

I, also give a + to John Linebaugh's information. In conversation he told me something to the effect; "If you can't kill it with a 250-255 SWC .45 at 900 to 950 fps, you shouldn't be shooting it." I have believed that for many years now. I believe it is true for the .44, also.
Truth is, heavier bullets (300-325) need even less velocity to be effective. However, as velocity goes down the compensation for range becomes more difficult.
Grace and Peace.
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

My general purpose/plinking load for handguns and my rifle is 6.0 grains of Titegroup under a 250 lead bullet. Easy on the pocketbook to load and accurate to boot!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

My mainstay 45 colt load is 9 grs unique with 250-270 gr cast swcs. It'll do 900ish out of handguns, and just at 1100 from rifles.
8 grs of 231 with 200 gr bullets is a sweet shooting low recoil load thats a hoot out to 35-40 yds on tincans etc.
18 grs of 2400 behind a 225 speer jhp will shoot very well in my handguns, but doesn't fare so well from the trapper.
37 grs 3f goex with a .030 wad and a remington 255 lead sure lets you know why that old cartridge has been around for so long.
I did notice in chronographing alot of loads that between the handgun and rifle there'll be about 150 fps difference with faster powders, and 300ish fps with powders slower than 2400.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Is there some problem with the New Vaquero? the reason i ask is I have two on layaway and plan to shoot reloads. Nothing too strong but I do not know what their limits are. Are they inherently weaker than say Ubertis or any of the other replica type cowboy guns? If so which would be the best to get or what load would be good for the Vaquero?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

No there's nothing wrong with the New Vaquero.
Any load that a Colt or Italian copy thereof will handle,the new vaquero will take with ease, and then some.
Folks are whining because the Nv may or may not handle some of the wildly high pressure rounds that the Blackhawk and its ilk will take for a while.
Papa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Papa »

I have three loads for 45 Colt

9.0 Unique/ 250 RNFP for GP 900fps 4 5.8ths Vaquero, 1050 16" Trapper

20.0 2400 / 255 SWC for Hunting 1200 4 5.8ths Vaquero 1465 16" Trapper

20.0 296 / 340 SSK for hogs and stubborn critters 1150 4 5.8ths Blackhawk

Papa
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

505stevec,

everything I have read and studied on the NM Vaquero warns to load to Colt SAA levels and not to "ruger only" loads. IIRC, You can still shoot a good general purpose load out of the NM.
505stevec wrote:Is there some problem with the New Vaquero? the reason i ask is I have two on layaway and plan to shoot reloads. Nothing too strong but I do not know what their limits are. Are they inherently weaker than say Ubertis or any of the other replica type cowboy guns? If so which would be the best to get or what load would be good for the Vaquero?
stormspotter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by stormspotter »

505stevec, do a search for Handloader Magazine April 2007 issue. They have loads listed for Colt (14,000 psi), New Vaquero (20,000 psi) and Blackhawk (35,000 psi) revolvers.
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat . . . . Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words.