Spotting ‘scopes: soon obsolete?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Spotting ‘scopes: soon obsolete?

Post by Ray Newman »

http://bullseyecamera.com/

Saw one of the 1000 yard systems in operation last Monday (May 20) at the range.

A Fellow Shooter had it set up at the 300 yard target line and was shooting his 6mm Browning 1885 clone. The clarity of the pictures relayed by the system to a laptop computer made me sit up and take notice
He also showed me whole slew of target picture files that were stored in the laptop.

Not for everyone, but for I do believe for some that it will save time when shooting longer distances. Plus I do not think the price is exorbitant.

I wonder what the next generation of such a system will be able to do?
Last edited by Ray Newman on Fri May 24, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Spotting ‘scopes: soon obsolete soon?

Post by Blaine »

Wow....If you think shooting your Chrony will hack ya off.... :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Spotting ‘scopes: soon obsolete soon?

Post by Charlie »

BlaineG wrote:Wow....If you think shooting your Chrony will hack ya off.... :lol: :lol:

That's what I was thinking.
The only thing safe downrange is the target when I'm shooting :D
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Spotting ‘scopes: soon obsolete?

Post by sore shoulder »

I'll wait for the model that has muzzle and target velocities.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

You want to be sure you are alone on the range when using that thing. I have had several instances of people walking on to the range and shooting my silhouette target I have set up, they think anything downrange is fair game.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

jnyork wrote: I have had several instances of people walking on to the range and shooting my silhouette target I have set up, they think anything downrange is fair game.
Wow. I'm not sure I would handle that very well. I can't imagine sharing a range with someone that dumb who also has a loaded gun.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

SoreShoulder and JNYork: yes, that could be a problem with someone else shooting on your target(s).

But what is even more disconcerting is when some Fool starts walking down range – without telling anyone -- while you are shooting to hang a target. When he got back, I 'tore him a new one', and all he could say was: “But I wasn’t near where you were shooting”….
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Most things of the 'radio' type that I've used seem to have an actual range of about 20% of what they claim, so for me the 1,000 yard capable version would probably fuzz out at 200 yards or so.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Most things of the 'radio' type that I've used seem to have an actual range of about 20% of what they claim, so for me the 1,000 yard capable version would probably fuzz out at 200 yards or so.
Maybe back in the days of Marconi..... :lol:
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

First, I want to re-iterate that I had this idea a long time ago, and although I have had no contact with the inventors, the idea is completely and entirely mine.

That being said, small handy spotting scopes that fit in a sock will never be obsolete - the demise of good optics, film cameras, monoculars, binoculars, etc, has been greatly exaggerated.

What is already obsolete is the rig in the link. By now you should be able to prop up a smart phone in front of the target and link via the internet to another phone to see the hits.

What would really impress me would be a unit integral with the scope. You shoot, and with the impulse sound of the shot, your scope switches to "view target" mode, with instant replay, and a little arcade music if you hit (or a bloop if you miss).
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I suppose that it would be more compelling if it could calculate and show group sizes. Until then there are tons of wireless security cameras out there for half the price or less.
On the other hand, it is nice that it is a complete plug & play system, ready to run out of the box. A gun club could install the system behind cover and rent it for an hourly fee to folks wanting to sight in their musket for hunting season.

Jack
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

A gun club could install the system behind cover and rent it for an hourly fee
Now there is an idea that needs more research!

I tried this a few years ago with 2.5Ghz security cameras. As recently as three years ago the resolution of the cameras just wasn't good enough. It was hard to see the hits. And even with an external Yagi antenna to send the signal back to the TV, it was only good for about 200 yds.

Modern camera technology has them at up to 720 lines of resolution and using WiFi to send the signal back in full digital format will greatly improve the range and clarity. Having the camera set up with an old laptop down range and broadband access and simply streaming the video over the internet would make range and resolution very doable. But you wouldn't have the need "shot locator" that this system offers. Not sure how important that would be.

The idea of two smart phones is totally doable and the range will be unlimited...........Talk about a cool way to do a "Postal Match" ....In REAL TIME!!

When I'm at the range shooting a target at 300 or 500 yards, I use the camera in my cell phone, through my spotting scope (search; Digiscoping) to take a picture of the target after each hit. In this way I can easily keep track of the new hits on the target without walking all the way down and changing paper.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

While I don't think this thing will replace a spotting scope (kinda hard to lug the camera stuff in the hills to look long range for game) it goes well beyond a "security camera". I too, thought that's all ya needed, but when you look at the whole pkg, you see there's the software with it for the laptop. The software will show you where the bullet hit even if the target is full of holes. That can be a real headache at time.

I have no connection with this system, but would love to have one. I ran across a web site where the designer was giving a full detailed description of what all it does. Truly amazing in my opinion. It's fully self contained, needs no cell coverage, no internet/WIFI. The only drawback I see is the overall bulkiness of the whole thing. One more big load to haul in and out of the range, plus setup time.

Oh yes, on that site he also says they guaranteed the "5hr" part of the batteries. For a good demo, go to the "videos" link and watch the third one down.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That just adds to the junk we have to carry to the club. And like most electronics, its probably only good for a couple of years. Buy a top quality spotting scope and your good for life. I have no problems seeing my hits out to 500 with my Leupold except .22 holes in the black.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD