Fare well mom.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Fare well mom.

Post by Tycer »

Hi all,

Nancy and I went to visit my mom in New Orleans this past week. It was a planned trip just to go visit. Four weeks ago, between the time we booked out flight and the trip, mom was hospitalized for congestive heart failure and received two stents. She was discharged quickly with better blood flow and a prescription for oxygen, but with some unrepairable damage in another part of her heart, probably caused by radiation from an old bout with breast cancer.

Mom looks good; bright eyes, clear head, pretty skin and hair, dressed well sitting in a recliner in the sunroom overlooking her immaculate garden where she's slept the past few years. You would never know she's dying to look at her but she is. She eats well, gets plenty of fluids but is still losing about a quarter pound of weight each day.

We had a great visit. We talked about our lives together, I cooked her some gumbo and cornbread from her recipe, I pruned some shrubs that were in need of a haircut, dug up a plant that didn't quite fit the spot she had planted it and bought a different plant to put there. We talked without tears or angst. Mom and I share the same belief in the Lord and I know all is well and death is just the next step. I asked about her wishes regarding her remains and told her how odd it was to be having these conversations when she didn't look or sound like she's dying.

One of my favorite memories of my mom was from my childhood; both of us on the couch with my head in her lap and her just chatting away while softly stroking my hair. Yesterday, before I looked at my living mom for the last time, I sat at her feet, laid my head in her lap and created a memory I will cherish til we meet again. It was magical. The second her hand touched my hair we were both back at that time in my childhood, her just dreamily chatting away about shared events that happened forty plus years ago. Good stuff.

Fare well mom. I will miss you.

Kind regards from the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains

Tycer

P.S.: I will be talking to mom every day until she passes and I'll keep y'all posted. I also want to give my sincerest thanks to my sister and her family for taking such good care of mom. I know it's hard, I wish I could help more.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Fare well mom.

Post by Old Savage »

Blue Ridge mountains, Shenandoah River ... Tycer, I wish you strength and comfort to her. Hard poignant time. Just about 40 years ago I last saw my mother going through something of a similar nature. Wish you the best in this as you both go through it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Prayers up to see you thru this time, Tycer. I cringe everytime my phone rings and it's my Sister or Niece... If I've missed their call, I always listen to their message before calling them back... The last time, sis sez, "don't worry brother, Mom'll be out of the hostipal tomorrow..."

I'm glad you had this time to visit... and create a lasting memory. I take every opportunity I can to visit mine.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

God has blessed you both. Thank you for sharing.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Amen to all said. Prayer up for you, Mom and family.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Tycer Its a hard thing to see a loved one pass slowly it tests our metal all you can do is support and give them back the love they gave you, I will pray for a peaceful passing for your Mom. you take care. danny
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think we all feel honored that you would share that very personal experience with us.

You have a life-philosophy which the rest of us can draw strength from. A well-lived life, especially if it was able to be a reasonably long one, is a thing of beauty, from start to finish. Celebrate every stage, and the spiritual ones beyond.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

My thoughts & prayers are with you both.

Wm
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

wm wrote:My thoughts & prayers are with you both.

Wm
I cannot say it better than that.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Prayers sent.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Praying for all concerned bro.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

You are all indeed blessed. Prayers for all.
NRA Life Member
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Prayers for you and your family.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Praying for Grace.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Stay strong....Prayers up for all you guys.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Tycer, like doc said, I am honored that you felt comfortable enough to share such a sweet and personal post with us here. You and your Mom really are blessed. My folks are gone, my Mom after 12 years of Alzheimer's. What I would give to have had a chance to have one last cogent conversation with her.
We had my father-in-law move in with us with the same diagnosis and the cardiologist said three to six months tops. I started feeding him ice cream with mountain huckleberries I had picked and frozen, and darn if he didn't stabilize. We had him for three years of laughter and great conversations, except when politics came up.
You never know what God has in mind, praise Him.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Tycer, take condolence that you, your family, and your Mom are at peace with each other - as sometime that's just not in the cards.

Please convey our deepest, to the rest of your family - and may your Mom go with God, if her time comes.

Sometimes, older folks can recover remarkably - My 88-year old Grandmother was hospitalized once, and was a deathly grey color when I visited her.
Twelve hours later, her color had returned, and she lived until 2 days short of her 100th B-Day.

Only God really knows when it's time.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Tycer,

I read your post earlier and shed quite a few tears. You have my condolences and emotional support.

But, do not just call your mom, spend time with her while you can. I lost my mom in 2001 to congestive heart failure. She was in AZ, I was here in IL. I could not get back home to be with her at the last due to finances. When I finally got the word she was in the hospice near the end we sold a rifle, pooled all our funds and went .... I missed her by 18 hours.

I SHOULD HAVE NEVER LEFT HER ALONE! I had my reasons, but in retrospect they were invalid.

No matter what it takes, spend time with her. You'll regret it if you don't.

Been there, done that, still hurting.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My thoughts are with you and your mom, but like Joe says; if you can be with her then stay.

j
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Praying for you and your family.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

You and your family are in my prayers.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Glad you have been able to spend some quality time with your Mom before she takes a turn. It sounds like you had some great memories with her. Prayers offered up for your Mom as well as you and your family.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Praise The Lord for the beautifull memories and the promises of times to come. Prayers.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Aloha Tycer, You have my prayers for strength and endurance during such a trying time. As you may recall I went through a similar experience with my mother followed shorty thereafter with my dad 7 years ago. One thing I can be thankful for was that my mom's mind was still alert almost to the end, and that I lived close enough to be able to fly back regularly to help dad with her home hospice taking shifts with my older sis. I was able to be with her at the end holding her in my arms as she gave me her final smile before exhaling her last breath. I still morn her lost but take comfort in knowing she rests peacefully knowing we will eventually be reunited. I feel all that you are going through and wish you strength and comfort.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Hobie wrote:God has blessed you both. Thank you for sharing.

That said it very succinctly.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Tycer,
You and your family are in my prayers. It is good to know that we will see our loved ones again.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I hope you find condolence in your memories and aspiration in your prayers.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

J Miller wrote:Tycer,

I read your post earlier and shed quite a few tears. You have my condolences and emotional support.

But, do not just call your mom, spend time with her while you can. I lost my mom in 2001 to congestive heart failure. She was in AZ, I was here in IL. I could not get back home to be with her at the last due to finances. When I finally got the word she was in the hospice near the end we sold a rifle, pooled all our funds and went .... I missed her by 18 hours.

I SHOULD HAVE NEVER LEFT HER ALONE! I had my reasons, but in retrospect they were invalid.

No matter what it takes, spend time with her. You'll regret it if you don't.

Been there, done that, still hurting.

Joe
Thanks Joe. Sorry for your hurt.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Pete,
I'd love it for her to recover. She's made of wire and nails with a tough streak a mile deep. Would not surprise me that if she decided to she would. She's pretty set at this point to move on. Six weeks ago she was seriously mobile, gardening, shopping and cooking for my sister's family, driving a manual tranny car in New Orleans CBD and now she's tethered to O2 and gets out of breath walking ten feet to the toilet. She says this is no way to live and she's not interested in fighting her way back over time. I think her two bouts with cancer and losing her thyroid have soured her on the rehab process. C'est la vie.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Prayers sent.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

It got a little smokey in the room when I read your post, Tycer. It was a good post about a priceless time together.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I read Your post yesterday right after it went up.wanted to reply then but the website wouldn't work for Me. Thanks for shareing the memories,My Mom used to stroke My Head just the same....Miss Her.God Bless.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I also read your post yesterday but it got very dusty in the house for some reason so I had to close down the laptop. Thanks for sharing with us. I lost my Mom a year ago on May 2nd. My sisters and I were beside her bed when she passed. I know where you are now and feel for you.
My thoughts and prayers for you and yours.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Dusty over here today . Tycer you , your Mom and family have our prayers.
Phil
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Our best and prayers Tycer. They live on in our memories and in our lives. God Bless.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thankyou Tycer old friend.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Prayers up brother Tycer! I am sorry for your loss.