Pics From SoCal Reunion '08

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Pics From SoCal Reunion '08

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey guys, here are some started pics from the 1st Annual SoCal Levergunners Family Reunion. I am not the only one who took pics, and my camera died Sunday morning, so I hope everyone will contribute some pics to this thread. We had a pretty good turn-out of about 12-15 people. A small group of us camped out Saturday night. It rained and hailed some before dinner, but afterwards it cleared up, and was clear and cold. The resteraunt that Sobenk found was quite good, and everyone seemed to have a darn good time at dinner.

The Clubhouse
The Silhouette Range
J.R.s Campsite
Good Family Pic
At Dinner

I had to leave about 230pm for the 4.25 hour drive home, so I'm too tired to say more for now. I'll tell you more about it tomorrow night, and I'm sure the others will contribute pics and narrative as well.

-Tutt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Andy great pics. This was an awesome weekend the boys had a blast. Unfortunatly between keeping an eye on the boys and getting some trigger time I forgot to take pics. :(
But we had a great time with a great group of folks. :D

The shooting high light for me was hitting the 200yard plate 6 time out of 15 with my .45colt trapper. That is a sweet Mauser you have there and its a pleasure to shot.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Well, I was almost as bad as JReed in the pics dept.
at the end of the day Sunday i found my camera and
took 5 pics, These were all taken after the 3 matches
(I shot in all 3, 2 with 1927 M39, 1 with 1929 Win M52),
This was my first silhouette match and had a blast,
Great meeting everyone.

KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Hmmm.... Wonder who's who?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

What a great time!!

The boys and I enjoyed it very much and I definitely want to keep up with the lever action silhouette.

Thank you Jonathan for everything.

I'm still unpacking and cleaning. I should have a picture or two to post tomorrow when things settle down at home.

P.S. Look who's above my head in the restaurant picture :( Bad timing!!
Chad
Hairy Clipper
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hairy Clipper »

Don't you know it is against the law to have that much fun in Kalifornia? Great pics! Even video confrencing with Obama. I wish it was a llittle closer to MinneSNOWta.

Hairy
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Mathew Quigley
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looks like a ton of fun, though I am surprised that TV lasted through the weekend. A bunch of armed guys, and Obama on the tube... seems like a blasting opportunity to me! :wink:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Looks like you all had a great time. :mrgreen:
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Glad you all had a great time and wish I could have been there in person. This work computer blocks pics & I'll look again later.

Sounds like a great time.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

looks like a great time was had by all. Well done. Love seeing the young men there. :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It hailed the day the camping boys arrived and snowed in the mountains above them.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sure looks like a good time!!

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Good show!
Where in So Cal is this range located?

WRT the TV in the background - it is interesting that the camera sees EVERYTHING, while the mind can ignore all but the area of interest to the photographer.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

CRS
We met up at the Angeles Range up in the hills not far from were the I 5 and the 210 meet. What the pic at the restaraunt didnt show was the painting on the wall of a mounted cowboy holding a leveraction rifle. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I had pics of the impromptu gunshow and tell in the clubhouse Saturday afternoon but my camera seems to be missing. If I run across it I'll post those. If not, well, time for a new camera anyway.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Sorry to hear about your camera. I hope it turns up when you get done unpacking. Every time I saw you saturday you were snapping pics.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

Looks like you guys had a great shoot! Sorry to hear about your camera sobenk hope it turns up!
Break on through to the other side!!!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Here is something cool for you all. I showed this to some of the guys before I shot it. This is an armor insert for our vests. I shot it with my .303brit 180gr Seirra Pro Hunter @2450 fps at a distance of 40 yards.

front

back
The back was bulged but it didnt go threw. Makes me feel better. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

JReed wrote:Here is something cool for you all. I showed this to some of the guys before I shot it. This is an armor insert for our vests. I shot it with my .303brit 180gr Seirra Pro Hunter @2450 fps at a distance of 40 yards.

front

back
The back was bulged but it didnt go threw. Makes me feel better. :D
Hey Brother,

Those look pretty cool. All we had was a Flack Jacket....38 years ago. WOW!

Ohhra!
Semper Fi
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

I am glad everyone had a great time. I really wish I could have been there with all of you but I had too many commitments here at home. Oh well there's always next time.....................................
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

I know those two old boys on the far right of the group photo.
Looks to be a retired fire fighter (lost all the pressure in his pump, Jim Williamson), and an estate planner or some such (Billy Tharp).
Both would do to watch.
Last edited by Tom Richardson on Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Looks like ya'll had good time. Lots of smiles all around. Good job. :D
Ricky

DWWC
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Excellent!!! Noticed you boys even invited Obama to dinner!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, since Jonathan's camera pics are AWOL, here are mine from our "show and tell" session.

I'll let the prospective owners speak for themselves if anyone has questions about firearm pics!

-Tutt
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Speaking for myself, I really enjoyed shooting at the public range. It had paper targets up to 200 yards, but after that metal targets were all that were available all the way out to 600 yards because the walk is too long. This was fine with me!

I watched Prof. Boomer bang the two hundred yard pig like a gong off-hand with his 71/84 Mauser and its battle sights. It took me much longer to do, but eventually I hit the 200 yard pig off-hand with my own 71/84 a couple of times. I also took a few shots at the 300 yard pig, and narrowly missed it. Finally, towards the end of the day (for me), I had Wild Bill Tharp help me with his Swarvofski (however the heck you say it!) spotting scope, and eventually hit the 600 yard pig. It was very windy that day, and the wind up there could have been doing completely different things. Also, Prof. Boomer thinks that 600 yards might be near the limits of what the 400 grain bullet can do.

Mic McPherson, Prof. Boomer and I are working on new loads using a 500 and also a 540 grain bullet to see if we can extend the range some more. I found the 540 grain bullet, and was the monkey pulling the trigger for load developement on Sunday, but it was nice to be a participant in developing these new loads and hanging out with these fine, knowledgable fellows.

I let people shoot my CZ550 in 375 H&H AI, and everyone was impressed by how easy it is to shoot. It also is dead on at 100, 200 and 300 yards using the folding rear express sight, which was nice to discover.

I also finally got to shoot Old Savage's Win '88 in 308. It is a beautiful speciman, and with some trigger and action work, would be a fine gun for me (Sorry O.S., you know how I hate a heavy trigger!).

Wild Bill Tharp also had some original Winchesters in unusual configurations that he let me shoot. I really liked his High Wall. I could very well see myself owning one of those.

Anyhow, between the great weather and camping, fine company, exellent food and good shooting, I had one of the best shooting experiences of my life. I hope more of you can attend next year!

-Tutt
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Some more pictures, with some names to the faces...

Tutt rear right, Sobenk rear left, Handi front center, Sobenk's guest close right, JReeds' backside

Sobenk and my brother shooting smallbore silhouette

Future levergunner - my oldest
Chad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

'71 Fan, those are GREAT pics! Thanks!

-Tutt
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The trigger is fine - I guess I will have to go out and shoot a nice little group to demonstrate that.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

The trigger is fine - I guess I will have to go out and shoot a nice little group to demonstrate that.
Please do so! It may be fine in your book, but as any professional target shooter will tell you, there is nothing to be lost by having a good trigger/action job. It only makes the gun more enjoyable, and its not like its all that expensive!

-Tutt
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now I have already shot a number of sub inch groups with it and one or two at a half inch. My attitude is you should be able to shoot a variety of triggers well. But I think you are more demanding about triggers than I. :P .
Last edited by Old Savage on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Tutt please tell Prof Boomer I had a great time shooting his Mauser those are great guns. His 44 carbine ( I think that is what he said it was) was a hoot to fire I would not feel under guned with one of those.
That 375Ai was a pleasent suprise to shoot. It had very modest felt recoil and I realy like the express sights on it.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Yeah, I like my triggers light. Its a personal problem! :lol:

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What I am saying is that the triggers have not made much difference in the size of the groups I have shot. Of course, I am not a bench rest shooter looking for sub quarter inch groups - generally just an inch or better off the bench the way we shot at the range near me. I don't shoot offhand because other than an interesting exercise it is not what I am going to do hunting and it doesn't tell me how accurate the rifle is. So all my triggers are fine with me. I haven't bothered to change any of them in 20 years. One of my most accurate Rugers is a 7x57 with an 8 1/2" lb trigger. I also had a Dakota with trigger like a S&W revolver - it was grand. The triggers on all my rifles are as they came - some light, some heavy, some crisp, some creeping.

Now you of course are free to do anything with yours and I encourage you to make your rifles suit your tastes. And, I have enjoyed shooting them and seeing what you have done. I look forward to what you will do next. :) It was a great weekend and you are to be commended for making it happen. :) I did think those sights on the CZ worked very well drawing the eye to the target. And, you have a very interesting collection of firearms. The wise cracks are a joke. :)

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Guys, just a tip - don't get old.

I found my camera - sitting next to the computer, plugged in, waiting to download. I must have set it up as soon as I got home, got interrupted, and then went looking for it in its bag, where of course it wasn't. I was about to blame those teenagers except who would want such a clunky camera, except to make fun of its owner.

At this point the pics were more valuable to me than the camera, so I'm glad we have them:

"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Awesome glad you found it I will have to wait until I get home to see the picks.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Yes, we all had a good time. I took some pics also, and will try to get them posted. Some are repeats of some here.

Jeremy
Glad to see the inside of the armor looked better then the outside. Good to know you guys have some real protection. I too, wore the useless and HEAVY flak jacket, but that was in '72.

Looks like range day was indeed nice, sorry I had to miss that part. Dinner was a blast and I really enjoyed the company. My hat's off to Sobenk and the others for all their hard work in organizing it. Looking forward to the next one.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Yeah those old flaks sucked. Now the flack is use full and HEAVY the thing ways a ton with all the plates inserted.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Well now I know who 71fan is, (since I see who's below Obama!) But can anyone tell me who's sitting around the table? :?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Pics From SoCal Reunion '08

Post by 71fan »

Clockwise from front left:
Jim Williamson (Shootist)
Handirifle
Dan (Sobenk's guest)
Rylan, 71fan, and Aiden
Charles (guest of Old Savage and SoCal deer hunter extrordinaire)
Jreed's two boys, and of course you can tell by the haircut who JReed is
Sobenk
Last edited by 71fan on Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Marlinman, seated around the table from front left and moving clockwise is Professor Loudenboomer, Handirifle, a guest of Sobenk, 71Fan and his two kids, Charles (a guest of Old Savage), J.Reed's two kids Logan and Evan, J.Reed, and Sobenk.

-Tutt
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Anyone who went and didn't get a patch and want one should
send me a pm.

Jay
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

71 FAN

In the photo of gents seated around the table you have Jim Williamson named a Tom Williamson.
Was that peckerwood using my first name again?
I have to watch that boy every minuet.
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Looks like everyone had a great time.

Jeremy, looks like that boy is just about to grow into that rifle.

To everyone, thanks for the pictures I enjoy being able to put faces with the names.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Duff L Bagg wrote:Looks like everyone had a great time.

Jeremy, looks like that boy is just about to grow into that rifle.

To everyone, thanks for the pictures I enjoy being able to put faces with the names.
Larry He had lots of fun shooting it. The little one still has abit to go but he did shot a couple off the bench with a sand bag.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Tom Richardson wrote:71 FAN

In the photo of gents seated around the table you have Jim Williamson named a Tom Williamson.
Was that peckerwood using my first name again?
I have to watch that boy every minuet.
Oops...sorry. It is fixed. The "peckerwood" has been properly identified :lol:
Chad