Anyone Ever Hear of a Texas Long Horn Agent?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Anyone Ever Hear of a Texas Long Horn Agent?

Post by Griff »

From a query over on the SASS Wire. My New Old Shotgun.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: Anyone Ever Hear of a Texas Long Horn Agent?

Post by wecsoger »

Is that the Hollywood guy that's the agent and represents the cattle they use in all the range and stampede scenes? (grin)

(obviously, I got nuthin')
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

A STOCK DETECTIVE ?
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Terry Murbach wrote:A STOCK DETECTIVE ?
:lol: Obviously!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Slow is just slow.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Aye Terry, but they're not referred to by that title by the Texas & Southwestern Cattle Raiser's Assoc. And the Texas Longhorn Breeder's Assoc. was incorporated in 1964, nor do they have any policing powers like the TSCRA Brand Inspectors.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

A UT recruiter?

...a serious one.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

20cows wrote:A UT recruiter?

...a serious one.
Ya, I can hear that line now... Son, I don't care what your Daddy said... y'all gonna play for UT... or else!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Never heard of that but in CO there is a law on the books making it a REQUIREMENT to shoot any longhorn bull found on open range. Years ago when a local grass thief was dumping longhorn cows inside our fenced subdivision I threatened to use it with the caveat that I couldn't tell the difference between a longhorn cow and bull. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Texas longhorn agent?! T'ain't no such thang. (Hint-longhorn is one word, not two)
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

Sore Shoulder -- help an uninformed easterner understand the requirement to shoot a bull where its not supposed to be?

Mergus
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

mergus wrote:Sore Shoulder -- help an uninformed easterner understand the requirement to shoot a bull where its not supposed to be?

Mergus
Same reason an ex girlfriend's father offered to shoot me if he found me where I wasn't supposed to be.
Bill
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

sore shoulder wrote:Never heard of that but in CO there is a law on the books making it a REQUIREMENT to shoot any longhorn bull found on open range. Years ago when a local grass thief was dumping longhorn cows inside our fenced subdivision I threatened to use it with the caveat that I couldn't tell the difference between a longhorn cow and bull. :lol:
And yet, I've had other ranchers pay me to lease 'em my longhorn bull for a few weeks for servicing their heifers. Longhorns typically throw small calves, and for a first calf, it can be pretty easy on some of the smaller, 1st year cows... As some of the purebred cows can be pretty small when they first come of breeding age.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Might ask someone with the Texas Dept. Ag. It might be that the Longhorn breeders Assn jealously guards their reputation and has agents to enforce who is using the label like other trademarked brands. I know the state of Ga. has laws that say only onions grown in a certain region can be labeled as Vadalia onions. The same goes for Indian River Citrus here in Fla.

That piece of brass looks like it's on a rifle stock, is it?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

While I freely admit I don't know anything about cows, unhappy fathers are something I'm pretty familiar with...:)

Mergus
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rusty wrote:That piece of brass looks like it's on a rifle stock, is it?
A shotgun stock that was produced prior to 1930. Now... when the plate was afixed? No idea, neither does the current owner.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

mergus wrote:Sore Shoulder -- help an uninformed easterner understand the requirement to shoot a bull where its not supposed to be?

Mergus
Colorado ranchers, and probably Montana and Wyoming also, spent a lot of money importing shorthorn/polled Durham, Hereford and Angus cattle that have a better quality of beef, carry more weight(this is $ for ranchers who get paid by the pound), and don't have long horns to tear up horses and cowboys and whatever else they decided to tear up, and they seem to want to hook their horns in everything you don't want them to (I've had a few things torn up especially in winter). Having a stringy longhorn range bull ruin your carefully bred beef herd would be costly, even today just the rumor of it can cost you at the sale barn. I've gotten a couple halfbreed yearlings for a steep discount on the agreement that I never talk about it's heritage. Most of my local neighbor ranchers seem to favor an Angus cow bred by a Hereford bull which tends to throw a black baldy. There are some running Scottish highland cows.

Longhorns are not as domesticated and also tend to be pretty rangy, meaning they travel a lot when left out on the range, which makes the meat tougher and leaner and there's less weight on them come sale time. The more domestic cows I referenced earlier like to find a good spot and stay there if they have feed and water, and usually only move when bad weather rolls in. I use them as a barometer here.

Remember, longhorns were feral for a few hundred years after the Spaniards left them here, reverting back to their ancestral heritage through natural selection in those TX thickets. When the beef industry demand boomed during the Civil War it was a very dangerous job going in after them, and it has only been about 150 years now without much domesticating as far as I can tell.

There is a growing market for Longhorn beef due to it being leaner than other beef, but for the most part is isn't as good of quality.

Hope that helped Mergus.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

There was a long horn security agency based out of Houston. They provided security to ranchers for a fee. There is also the Long Horn Villages outside of Austin that has a private security force. Maybe one of those outfits are behind the plaquard. There was also a Longhorn and Western RR that crossed TX and neighboring states in the early 1900's
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member