Vietman pin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Vietman pin

Post by model55 »

My late father flew for the 50th Tactical Airlift Squadron during Vietnam and I'd like to wear one of his pins but I'm not a veteran nor do I want represent as such.I think it would be disrespectful,just want to wear something of Dad's without drama.Any ideas?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Vietman pin

Post by Blaine »

When it comes to military regalia, if you didn't earn it, please don't wear it. :wink: Perhaps, you could use a pin affixed to a bronze coin to carry in your pocket for good luck? I'm sure a shop could supply you with a blank one...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I hold with what Blaine said only when it comes to medals, awards, and qualification badges. If it's simply a unit pin or some other memento that simply signifies his unit or aircraft type etc., then I think it's fine. In fact, I think it's pretty common. For example, my Dad served aboard the USS Catfish and Remora. I have some pins for those boats that I wear from time to time to honor my father. I do not wear his dolphins nor his medals or badges.

What aircraft types did he fly?
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Take the pin to a Jeweler and have it altered into a necklace, ring or tie tack.
Your motive for wearing it is in honor and respect for your father and
the unit he served, not just to be cool. I personally see nothing wrong
in that.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

casastahle wrote:Take the pin to a Jeweler and have it altered into a necklace, ring or tie tack.
Your motive for wearing it is in honor and respect for your father and
the unit he served, not just to be cool. I personally see nothing wrong
in that.
+1 ^^^ Good Idea!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Many units have ball caps or patches. They are for sale to general public. Your motives are pure, not trying to pass yourself off as something your not. As a vet, I would not have problems with any of the suggestions above. Good luck and thank you for asking and for your dads service
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

rjohns94 wrote:Your motives are pure, not trying to pass yourself off as something your not.
That really is the key ingredient here.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

olyinaz wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:Your motives are pure, not trying to pass yourself off as something your not.
That really is the key ingredient here.
And unfortunately to many of our brother vet's need a lesson in that key ingredient.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

model55 wrote:My late father flew for the 50th Tactical Airlift Squadron during Vietnam and I'd like to wear one of his pins but I'm not a veteran nor do I want represent as such.I think it would be disrespectful,just want to wear something of Dad's without drama.Any ideas?
I am a Vietnam vet, and my advise is to wear your Dad's pin with pride. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Grizzly Adams wrote:
model55 wrote:My late father flew for the 50th Tactical Airlift Squadron during Vietnam and I'd like to wear one of his pins but I'm not a veteran nor do I want represent as such.I think it would be disrespectful,just want to wear something of Dad's without drama.Any ideas?
I am a Vietnam vet, and my advise is to wear your Dad's pin with pride. :)

D-A-M-N RIGHT!!!

would like to reference a Montgomery-Gentry song from a few years ago that I've been singing to myself a lot lately --- "That's Something To BE Proud Of ! " (your not out there wearing a camouflage beret proclaiming yourself to be Foreign Legion or Delta Force after all )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXg8E0kzF1c
----- Doug
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

This just an item he bought I think,it is not a service ribbon.It has the words Vietnam veteran with the flags of both Nations in the middle but I think I'll just get my act together, gather it all up and have a shadow box done along with his dd 214.

this I think is just
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

After my father passed away, my Mom had a shadow box made with the flag from his coffin, a picture of him in uniform, and his dress medals, and last rating & unit patches. I have a smaller version with his patches and ribbons for the campaigns he was in from WWII and Korea. It sits as the centerpiece between the ones my wife made for my son's and my service, as well as my badges from the two sheriff's departments I worked for.

My son seems put off by the fact that his only contains a "National Defense" ribbon for his 4-year stint, while mine has 3 rows and granddad's has two... I keep tellin' him that he had the rougher duty, serving while the nation was "at peace" and... well... the rest is not "G" rated!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

For years while he was still around I wore my dad's A2 leather bomber he wore in his B-17 days - 'til it disintegrated from use!...and just before then after he died wore his MA1 and L2B all-green pilot jackets (from before the orange liner days if anyone remembers those classic jackets). I wore those just late enough in my life for some to think I could have actually been a pilot in the late 50s/early 60s (never could quite figure out that one!--only missing at least a decade)...but, I always just made it clear they were my father;s and I enjoyed honoring him that way. That was more than cool with every vet I ran across. More recently I found some NOS vintage replicas by Alpha of those very same jackets for my brother to do the same honoring (sadly not made in my "advanced" size). He was never into our father's military service legacy until those replica jackets. He had lamented not being as close as I to that aspect of our father's life - especially "til it was too late to acknowledge his service in person...and the jackets made him re-think about it all with a different perspective and appreciation. Both of us got something in our eye when he donned those jackets, even though they were just close likenesses. As has been said, however, we never would wear any medals or specific service commendation ribbons etc.