Off Topic. Single Shot Shotgun Project.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Off Topic. Single Shot Shotgun Project.

Post by Win94 »

I have often thought what a compact single shot shotgun would be like as a camp gun so i decided to make one. Now i know being a single shot, its not going to be the quickest tool for follow up shots but their is something about a single shot shotgun that lends itself to being a basic reliable utility tool. I also wanted something that would fit in a pack easily while on fly fishing excursions. Anyway this is what i came up with. I came into a CBC Model 151 12 gauge with 3" chamber. I stripped the scratched and chipped up laquer and applied a tung oil finish. I then lopped the 30" barrel off at 19", drilled and tapped for a Tru Glo fiber optic bead sight and added a hammer extension. It shoots 3" brenneke rifled slugs out to 50 yards accurately and is quite a compact little unit. We will see what i get for use out of it during the fishing season or if i end up just toting one of the Savage 99's or my Winchester 94......

Before:

After:

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne -
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Off Topic. Single Shot Shotgun Project.

Post by Rusty »

Looks like a great project. Everybody should have a couple of single shot shotguns. If you can plan on being in a hurry for that second shot holding that second round between the fingers of the forward hand will speed things up quite a bit.
I hope you never HAVE to use it in an emergency.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Nice little rig! I love the single shots and the short ones are very handy.. If you do choke system it will be even more versatile. I had my H and R done like yours and put a Colonial arms full choke for turkeys. Would like to pick up a cylinder for slugs.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

I cut an H&R down to 20 inches. It rides behind my pickup seat with a box of 50 #8 birdshot and a 15-pack of 00 Buckshot. It is the ultimate always there firearm. Deadly on everything from snakes to armadillers to escaped felons. I take it out and clean it a couple of times every year. In this humid climate, it picks up some surface rust. It is an always there tool. With a few shells in the off hand, or on the side-saddle, or just in your pocket, you can lay a pretty impressive fire with it. Look at the clint Smith video.
Georgia On My Mind
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Good project, 8) I currently have a 16GA Savage/Stevens 94 and a Cooey .410. and I prefer hunting with them than my other guns.
When I was a full time gamekeeper I cut down a Winchester/Cooey 20GA for use from my Land Rover, I cut the barrel to 24" (uk legal) and I took an inch off the stock.
It was a tough lttle do it all tool and was invaluable around the shoot.
I gave it to my BIL to teach his young stepson when I gave up gamekeeping.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Lookin' good! I have an H&R Pardner 12 gauge I'm planning on cutting down to 18.25" and adding a poly-choke to for a backpack gun.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

There are those that will argue that it was the single shot shotgun that "won the west"... not the Winchester or Colt iconic guns of the west... but rather, the lowly single-shot... as it was that arm that was present in almost every household, and provided meat and protection for same.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Win94,

I did much the same thing to an NEF Pardner:

Going from a 27" barrel to a 19.5" barrel really changes how I handle that gun.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

I like it! I would like to suggest one additional modification. That is, lengthen the forcing cone. Doing so will decrease perceived recoil and tighten the pattern (due to less pellet deformation as it goes through the forcing cone).

Mergus
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....