Water Safety: Drowning Doesn't Look Like "Drowning"...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Water Safety: Drowning Doesn't Look Like "Drowning"...

Post by Old No7 »

Summer weather is here -- finally! Or will be soon, if it's not yet...

I found this link on a boating forum describing how "Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning".

It really opened my eyes :shock: that what we'd typically expect to see when someone is drowning -- waving arms, kicking legs, splashing water, and cries for help -- just isn't so! If fact, it can often be exactly the opposite and silent, while drawing no attention... And the article explains why that is so.

I hope we never have to use this info, but as I'm around boats and kayaks on the lake, river or ocean most of the summer, I really paid attention to this. Feel free to share the link with family and friends, especially those who have young children too. If this saves one life, it's well worth sharing.

Have fun! And be safe on the water.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Water Safety: Drowning Doesn't Look Like "Drowning"...

Post by Griff »

Good article.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...which brings to mind a drawing, that a friend of mine had. It was of a guy, in the water, waving his arms. The caption read "Not drowning, just waving".

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Thank you.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

As an aside, many drowning victims are found without PFDs and with their zipper down...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Thanks for the info and video. You never know when it might come in handy.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Eye opening article for some and a good reminder for everyone else. I don't mind confessing I've scared myself a few times in the lakes and rivers of Michigan.

Wm
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Good article! Children can be in groups and one in distress is lost in the crowd. As to the aside; your back is to the wind(obviously) and the waves. You never see trouble coming.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks Darryl - this is something we should all consider now that summer is here (okay - next week officially).
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

Also when buying PFD's get one that will support your head out of the water. Many people drown in the vest type pfd's when they get tired and cannot hold their head up any longer.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I heard just this morning tis description of drowning and the same facts shared, was on morning talk radio. Interesting.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Great descriptions!

Thanks to my Dad I was swimming before I could walk. My Mom being a farm girl and could only dog paddle
if necessary, and was terrified for me and my sister's safety living on the water. She was determined that we have all the swimming and safety courses in the area. I will never forget one of those classes. I was ten or eleven, enlisted at a near by YMCA by my Mother in an "advanced Swimmer's course". We all jumped in and began swimming toward the end of the pool when the big kid next to me was grabbing my foot and dragging me down with him. I kicked him several times in the face and he finally let go. I popped up and screamed that he needed help and one of the Dads dove in and hauled him out. Turned out that he'd never been in the water before!!

To this day I love my Dad for teaching me to be a strong swimmer. I got in a hairy spot last year in my kayak
and thought "F- it I can swim this btch if I have to!"

Be careful out there!

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

My Mom grew up on the water and made sure all of us were comfortable, and safe.

Then got to Navy boot camp and was shocked to watch several guys from Hawaii struggle to pass the initial test, supposedly because it was fresh water. After the instructors pulled a couple guys out with long poles they finally noticed me treading water out in the middle and asked me if I was ok. I said I was if they could just keep all the non-swimmers away from me. They told me I'd better get used to it as I was now the company non-swim PO. Turned out to be a good gig, got me out of the company area every evening until all my guys could swim.