Bought 8 Boxes of Percussion Caps

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Bought 8 Boxes of Percussion Caps

Post by Swampman »

They were on sale at Walmart for 25 cents a box, so I had to buy something to use them on. I got this T/C Hawken in real nice shape for $195.00 at a local pawn shop.

Also here's my flintlock. It has a Rice .50 caliber barrel and a Chamber's Late Ketland Lock.

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

Ooooh - I'd be happy to play foster parent to the flinter since I'm sure you'll want to spend all waking hours with the cap rifle... :wink:

The hawk is nice, too.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

DID YOU BUY EVERY BOX THEY HAD?

If not, where was this treasure trove?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I like the way you think, Swampman.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Makes perfect sense to me...!!!!
:D
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Griff wrote:DID YOU BUY EVERY BOX THEY HAD?

If not, where was this treasure trove?
Yes, I figure I'm good for life.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

That is a good deal. Snatch them up while you can. You will be set for caps for a long time.

I do the same thing when I see an opportunity.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Eight boxes and you think you're set for life???

Man you need to get out more.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Make sure you get some desicant for storing them, that swamp might promote early decay.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

That's a steal on those caps :shock: and a really good deal on the TC Hawkin. I've worked with 2, one of a buddy's and my own. I really like the handling of those rifles.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I plan on using 3F GOEX and a .490 patched round ball. What powder charge did you use?

Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

Try 80 grs to start.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I started with 50 grains of Pyrodex P in my TC Renegade and will work up from there. It has the same barrel as the Hawken. You may have to play with the patches I started with .018 pilllow ticking and am now using .015 cotton patches my gun didnt like the pillow ticking at all.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Those are nice looking shooters Swampman :P Like the wood on the Long Rifle. The T/C's are great guns....loved my Renegade. I am having a 54 Cal. Jack Garner Early Lancaster Kit made up by a local builder and can't wait to get my hands on it!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Here's some more pics of the flintlock.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/P ... spie/?sc=1