Lee hand loader?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Lee hand loader?

Post by 1988rrc »

Has anyone had experience with a Lee hand loader especially for .45-70? Easy to use? Best to use the bench loader?
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Lee hand loader?

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

This guy makes it look easy.
Back in the 70's my dad had one for a British 303 if I remember it was real easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3duhNVjAu6E
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

Wohhhh now that's hand loading........
the lee hand loader I

Was thinking about was a big red plyer looking device. It is threaded to hold a die similar to the bench loader.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I load 45-70 with the Lee handpress...it is easier than 9mm!

However, looking at the video, you mean the Lee loader...not the handpress. Sorry...no experience there.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

No problems even full length resizing of brass, great leverage, an awesome tool for the money.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I use one 357 and in the past 30wcf.

Good tool.
I think Pitchy uses one!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

alnitak wrote:I load 45-70 with the Lee handpress...it is easier than 9mm!

However, looking at the video, you mean the Lee loader...not the handpress. Sorry...no experience there.
No I ment the hand press g did not know what it was called ), found one for $25.00.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've got several setups in 45/70, .45 acp and .45 colt. I usually toss what ever caliber(s) I'm taking out in my Jeep bag. On occasion I've sat around before dark and put up a few rounds. Mostly for practice and a conversation starter. You'd be amazed how many folks, even shooters, have no idea you can truly "handload". I also have a couple of Lee Loaders (the kind you use the mallet with). Not fast, but if all else fails.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

1988rrc wrote:

No I ment the hand press g did not know what it was called ), found one for $25.00.

Great tool. I keep mine in a plastic "ammo can" with accessories. I can sit on the living room couch and size and prime
a couple hundred cases watching TV with my Better Half without her complaining that I spend all my time "down in my hole". Well I like it down there, it's cool and disorganized, but it's my space. :evil:

I've loaded a couple thousand of .303s and 45-70s with it and several hundred more '06's and .308s.
I bought one for a non-reloader friend and a set of 9mm dies. He took to it like a duck in thunder!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Ive used the hand press on hundreds of rounds
the largest is the 300 H&H , worked great
also have used the Lee Loaders a lot, at one time I was always on the move
so those tools served me well

ollogger
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have one. I love it for decapping my BP brass at the range and will use it to seat a few bullets if I am only doing a FEW! But for full-length rifle cartridge sizing? Arnold Schwartzenegger I'm not!

The Lee single stage press is only $27.99 NEW from Midway; mate that to a Sears "Work-Mate" and you're both portable, comfortable and have better leverage! Both could be probably found on E-Bay for less.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I used to use the Lee Handloaders for everything, including the 45-70. They were simple, easy to use and worked great. The one thing I purchased extra was a primer seater. I always hated hammering in primers. Having a hand primer really speeded things up. I had Lee Handloaders for 303 British, 45 Colt, 45-70 and 44 Magnum. We still use the one for the 303 British.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have one for 30wcf I it found easy to use but I only loaded a few rounds at a time.
The Lee auto primer tool that Joe Miller told me to buy was good too.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I started reloading with "Lee Loaders" and still use them for neck-sizing.

The "Hand Press" by the way, uses standard dies.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

1988rrc wrote:

No I meant the hand press g did not know what it was called ), found one for $25.00.

The handpress has been great! I use that and the Lee autoprime...have for 8-9 years...and have loaded thousands of rounds, for everything from .380 to 9mm, .38/.357, .44, .45-70, Tok and .223. Although I've since added a single stage, I still use the handpress to seat the bullets after the single stage has expanded and added powder...and also for the Lee FCD.

I, too, use it in stages in front of the TV. I can deprime/size a couple hundred cases in 15 minutes. Autoprime the same amount in about the same time in another stage. Even faster for the FCD. I also add powder and seat bullet....though every charge is weighed so no distraction, and powder added by hand and bullet immediately seated in one operation...no opportunity for double charge or no charge.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Griff wrote:I have one. I love it for decapping my BP brass at the range and will use it to seat a few bullets if I am only doing a FEW! But for full-length rifle cartridge sizing? Arnold Schwartzenegger I'm not!

The Lee single stage press is only $27.99 NEW from Midway; mate that to a Sears "Work-Mate" and you're both portable, comfortable and have better leverage! Both could be probably found on E-Bay for less.
You know, I've got one of those workmates in the garage. I sometimes toss it in my work truck, but mostly it's for small jobs around the house. Works pretty good. Never though about using it as part of a portable reloading setup. Thanks for the good idea.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I have the Lee loader for both 16 ga. & 12 ga. They no longer make them for Shotgun shell reloading.

They are great for a Bug-Out bag. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
booyah
Levergunner

Post by booyah »

I used a friends before and thought it would be really neat if i were reloading on the road. I couldn't think of a legitimate reason for that though.

I personally love my lee classic 4 hole turret though, and considering the normal lee 4 hole turret can be had for about $75 if you hunt around I would shoot for that.
(lee 4 hole http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... to%20Index)
(lee 3 hole if you go that way even less http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... s%203-Hole)

On the lee hand loaders, I think they are great fun, ESPECIALLY when you are hammering away at a primer and pop one off. The first time that happens it will get you to change your drawers :D

I did the first 200 rounds of 45ACP I ever reloaded on one of those before I got my turret press. Anyone wanna buy a 45acp lee loader? Only used for 200 rounds!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I like the Lee Hand Press, it was the first thing I bought (I wanted to understand the process better before choosing a press). Someday it will be my only press, when I no longer have the space for a full setup.

One thing I have been thinking about, but haven't done yet; if you mount it on the wall you would have quite a bit of leverage. Maybe make a bracket it can slide into, so you don't have to leave it up.

It has been said you can only do pistol cartridges, but I have done rifle, though it can get you tired and sore. Currently I mostly use it with "M" dies to size and bell necks. It's more precise than my regular press, no wobble to it.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I just bought one at a garage sale. I like it. I can sit in my easy chair and load. Never done that before, and it's not slow like I thought it would be. Just loaded 40 rds. or 357 mag last night.

Owen
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Now this thread takes me back to 1968 when I first started handloading with a Lee Loader for a .38 Spec'l Colt Trooper.

Believe I paid around US$10.00 - 12.00 for the loader?? Worked well, but it was slow. I only had about 75 .38 Spec'l cases and I looked for brass at the range.

Attending college under the GI BIll, money was tight and that was the only way I could afford to shoot.

Sometime in the 1990's, gave it to a neighbor who used it for a good many years.

Nostalgia aside, in my case it would hard to go back to a Lee Loader after loading pistol ammunition on a Dillion and rifle on a Redding T - 7 turret press...

Wonder what would be faster: the Lyman 310 or the Lee Loader?
Last edited by Ray Newman on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

As a teenager, I used the bang it with a hammer 16ga loader so I could afford to get to the skeet range once a week.....I currently have a Lee Hand Press, and the hand primer....It's just as easy and fast (and gives me better OAL results) then the Lee turret press.....Resizing 45-70 is easy if you use it like a Thigh Master....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I use mostly a 4-hole Lee Turret on the bench, because it is easy to go from 'single stage' mode while working up a load, to 'production' mode once set up, and although you pull the handle four times to make one round (as opposed to a multi-station 'progressive' press, where you pull the handle once per round), it is pretty fast. It is only worth setting up the Dillon RL550 for really mass-quantities of one load, and you have to pay close attention - so close I find it nerve-wracking (plus a 'jam' of any sort really gets things out of sync). The RCBS Rockchucker is usually set up for a single task or used to support a powder measure.

As far as the Lee 'hand loaders' - even with all the above, I still use the Hand Press quite a bit. I don't do the 'intense' part of reloading with any distractions, but I do sort, de-prime and inspect brass while watching a movie (preferably a 'gun' movie). It is perfect for depriming like that. I did make a couple of very useful modifications to it though:
Two modifications I made to mine you want to consider...

1. I keep a piece of bicycle inner-tube slipped over the part of the press with the 'stop' that limits how far you squeeze it; the noise is less, but the 'endpoint' is still good. I was afraid that the constant impact would crack the pot-metal.

2. The more important modification was to drill a 'primer dump' hole in the side of the ram; the hole under the shell holder is a couple inches deep, but quickly fills with primers, and they have to come out the way they went in - through the little hole in the shell-holder. So I drilled a hole in the side they can fall out of.

Now the Classic Reloading Tool or 'mallet' kit I mostly use to just fire up a few loads on a whim to show someone how EASY and inexpensive reloading CAN be. They work just fine, but you have to develop a 'knack' for how hard to whack things. I didn't set off my first primer until four or five thousand rounds of 44 Mag and 6mm Rem had been loaded, and so I thought I never would. Just about pooped-drawers, and the dog shot up in the air like she'd been shot...! :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hand Press vs "Classic" Mallet version:

Hand Press, Pros:

Uses standard dies
Quieter.
Less chance of primer detonation.
Better for long straight-wall cases/full length resizing.

Cons:

Busted knuckles.
Have to manipulate a case full of powder in the air to an unstabilized press.
Takes up a lot of backpack space/weight if you are loading for only one caliber.
Can't do shotgun shells (except maybe .410)

I like using the Classic Kits for load development on the Range Bench and loading on a treestump - though if I was loading EBR ammo in a Hide I'd prefer the Hand Press.

I mostly use my Hand Press for Full Length Resizing on those calibers where it is difficult to do with a mallet.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I have and use both, a Lee Handloader (small hand held press that uses 7/8-14 dies) and several Lee Loaders (the in-line dies type used with a mallet). My Handloader has served me well using it for all aspects of reloading, sizing bullets, and a lot of depriming. Largest cartridge I've reloaded with one is 30-30, but I've seen 30-06 reloaded on one ('cause of length, not leverage). My Lee Loaders have been used quite a bit over the years (I started with one in '69) to load my handgun cartridges and 30-30 for my single shot (rifle kits neck size only). I've used them with a yellow plastic hammer, a 3 lb. dead blow hammer (better) and an arbor press (best). Even though I have 3 bench presses ( four if you count a Smartreloader mistake) I'll still get one of my Loaders out occasionally for relaxing reloading a box of ammo.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

The "Classic" mallet version. What a trip. Have 45-70, 12 gauge and .45 acp. Bought all throughout the years decades ago. .45 acp and 45-70 got plenty of use before getting my second hand single stage press. That acp version loaded lots and lots of ammo for my 1917 Colt New Service. Took to wearing a thin leather glove when setting primers. Didn't keep the occasional primer from detonating, but it helped some psychologically. :roll:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

GoatGuy wrote:The "Classic" mallet version. What a trip. Have 45-70, 12 gauge and .45 acp. ...
I have...

9mm
.45ACP
.38/.357
.30-30
.45/70
20ga
16ga
12ga

All quite useful in a pinch. (or regular loading - in the case of .410...) :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mikld wrote:I've used them with a yellow plastic hammer, a 3 lb. dead blow hammer (better) and an arbor press (best).
My best results came with a broken-off hickory hatchet-handle, but I always wanted to try an arbor press.

I do use an arbor press for Paco's Acu-R-Zr, or however you spell it. Works great.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:I did make a couple of very useful modifications to it though:
Two modifications I made to mine you want to consider...

1. I keep a piece of bicycle inner-tube slipped over the part of the press with the 'stop' that limits how far you squeeze it; the noise is less, but the 'endpoint' is still good. I was afraid that the constant impact would crack the pot-metal.

2. The more important modification was to drill a 'primer dump' hole in the side of the ram; the hole under the shell holder is a couple inches deep, but quickly fills with primers, and they have to come out the way they went in - through the little hole in the shell-holder. So I drilled a hole in the side they can fall out of.

Drilled mine today. The bottom of the hole in the ram in mine is 2.030 below the top of the ram with no shell holder installed. Angled slightly upward, the primers drop out right away! Good idea, I made quick work of about 100 rounds of 45 Colt that were loaded with BP and I like to deprime before I soak them in a dishsoap/water solution. Thanks for passin' that idea along. Image Image
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

I have also located several used .47-70 die sets. How do you tell if they are the type you can use without case lube (carbide??)?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1988rrc wrote:I have also located several used .47-70 die sets. How do you tell if they are the type you can use without case lube (carbide??)?
Carbide dies have an insert in the bottom of the sizer die made of carbide steel. Standard dies don't have an insert there.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
1988rrc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 1988rrc »

Further research on the .45-70 carbide dies, I find they are not available for this cartridge because it is not a straight walled. Have to use lube.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mossyoak1957 wrote:This guy makes it look easy.
Back in the 70's my dad had one for a British 303 if I remember it was real easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3duhNVjAu6E
That guy looks like Pitchy! :D