800 fps aint enough for hasen - need a hammer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

800 fps aint enough for hasen - need a hammer

Post by olyinaz »

Dang rabbits are running amok around my place and they finally got some of my newly planted mesquite trees, so it was on like a thong baby. "You know this means war."

I went out around sunset this evening and within 15 minutes I had six of the little b'tards, which should tell you how overrun we are with the daggum things!! I took my trusty bird whacker with me, a Beeman .177 airgun that throws an RWS field pellet no better than 800 fps. The reason I like that little rifle is because it's accurate (reasonably for a Wally World purchased air gun) and it's quiet. No annoying "CRACK!" from this subsonic gem, and it really knocks the snot out of sky rats and other small vermin.

But rabbits? Not really. Out of the six, the last two required follow up stalking and another shot after they hobbled off (I called it a day after that), and the other four took a follow up shot as they were thrashing after dropping. All shots were 25 yards or less. It was not clean and efficient, and I don't like that.

So I need a strong air rifle gentlefolk, and I'm thinking a .22 or .25, but I'd like to hear some suggestions. I do not want a cheapo, but a good one. I'll use it quite a bit on rabbits in these parts I think and I want to hammer 'em dead with one shot (provided I do my part, but that's not generally an issue).

Thanks in advance for any ideas/input.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: 800 fps aint enough for hasen - need a hammer

Post by Blaine »

Where are you hitting them? That should drill thru a bunny skull enough to get 'er done....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I like my Benjamin 392 .22 cal. It hits plenty hard.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

how about a .22 rifle with cb caps or shorts!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Can't recommend a specific model as I'm not really an airgun guy, but the .22 caliber single-shot models that you cock by 'breaking' the barrel down to charge the piston are generally very powerful and lethal enough for up to small-coyote sized game. These are generally the hunting versions of the high grade target air rifles, Walther and other companies make them. It's that or use a .22 LR and CB caps.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

If I have to use an air rifle I prefer the .177 to the .22. After years of using both, my son and I decided that we had more one shot kills with the .177.
Rabbits shot just below the ear will drop right there, and I find that shot is easier with a flatter shooting .177 than a .22.
Here in the UK air rifles are limited to 12 foot pounds unless on a firearm certificate.
I mostly use CCI CB longs, I find them quieter than a spring powered air rifle.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have one of those little Savage bolt-action 22's, and it's threaded for a suppressor....BUT, you can also thread on a perfectly legal (and cheap $20) 'fake suppressor', and with the CCI 'Quiet 22 LR' or any of the subsonic rounds, get very lethal hits on rabbits.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I have had a RWS 52 .22 side lever rifle for 20years and not a bit of trouble. It is kind of loud, but it does put the smackdown on things. 25yd bunny shots would be easy. With the heavy pellets , it probably hits about between a 22 short and 22 cb cap. If one dared to come around, a crow @25-40yds would be in serious trouble.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

I did lots of rabbit population control in my earlier years with a .177 Benjamin. Very effective when you sail a pellet through their skull. Those critters weren't that smart, and would sit still for a carefully aimed shot ....... most of the time. I similarly declared war on squirrels when they chewed down the live oak seedlings I was trying to propogate. The most satisfying event was when I saw a hawk swoop down and grab a squirrel out of a tree. I felt I had an ally in the fight. Good luck with the rabbit eradication efforts. :wink:
NRA life member
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have a Gamo .177 1000fps air gun.
It is loud and the trigger is impossible to get used to.
But I have an aftermarket trigger coming it is supposed to fix that.
It puts a hurt on what it hits.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Hmmm... I killed many rabbits with my pistol (.177's at 525 fps) and never had any problems. Mostly head shot, but a few lung shots just to test it. Even at 525 they'd go through and be found outside the ribs, under the skin on the off side. Of course they were all closer, usually around 10 yards. Never lost one. IIRC I was using pointed pellets.
Slow is just slow.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I have an RWS 48 in .22. Shot placement is still important, but
when done right, squirrels die right there. This air rifle is sensitive to
how it's held, and took me quite a while to come to terms with.
Plenty of power, though. When I'm having a good day, I can hold
dime-sized groups from a field position at 25-35 yards. Lethal
combination for bunnies.

-Stretch
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

olyinaz wrote:Dang rabbits are running amok around my place and they finally got some of my newly planted mesquite trees, so it was on like a thong baby. "You know this means war."

I went out around sunset this evening and within 15 minutes I had six of the little b'tards, which should tell you how overrun we are with the daggum things!! I took my trusty bird whacker with me, a Beeman .177 airgun that throws an RWS field pellet no better than 800 fps. The reason I like that little rifle is because it's accurate (reasonably for a Wally World purchased air gun) and it's quiet. No annoying "CRACK!" from this subsonic gem, and it really knocks the snot out of sky rats and other small vermin.

But rabbits? Not really. Out of the six, the last two required follow up stalking and another shot after they hobbled off (I called it a day after that), and the other four took a follow up shot as they were thrashing after dropping. All shots were 25 yards or less. It was not clean and efficient, and I don't like that.

So I need a strong air rifle gentlefolk, and I'm thinking a .22 or .25, but I'd like to hear some suggestions. I do not want a cheapo, but a good one. I'll use it quite a bit on rabbits in these parts I think and I want to hammer 'em dead with one shot (provided I do my part, but that's not generally an issue).

Thanks in advance for any ideas/input.
Nothing takes care of rabbits like a 45: http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Sam_Yang_ ... e_909S/516
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

cas wrote:Hmmm... I killed many rabbits with my pistol (.177's at 525 fps) and never had any problems. Mostly head shot, but a few lung shots just to test it. Even at 525 they'd go through and be found outside the ribs, under the skin on the off side. Of course they were all closer, usually around 10 yards. Never lost one. IIRC I was using pointed pellets.
Same here had a Crossman pump, killed lots of grays and rabbits with it. Went to a Norica that did about 750fps. Could believe the difference in power, real quiet compared to the magnum air rifles today. I used wadcutter's and they really knocked'em down with an audible whapping sound.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I shelved my RWS 48 22cal in favor of CCI quiets and have been very happy with them.
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

I've got 2 .177 air rifles an air arms tx200 (930 fps) and a RWS 48 (1100 fps). I use either of these rifles to hunt squirrels. Either will kill a squirrel dead with chest or head shots. I not hesitate to shoot a rabbit with an airgun of similar power.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Why the H would anyone plant a mesquite tree on purpose?

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

FWiedner wrote:Why the H would anyone plant a mesquite tree on purpose?

Because the thorn-free Chilean hybrid mesquite is both lovely and low water use, which makes it perfect for Arizona landscaping. Why the H did you not know that?
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Thank you for the comments and suggestions fellas. I am leaning towards the Benjamin Marauder in .25 caliber. If anyone has any experience with the pre-charge Marauder please let me know.

The suggestions for CB caps and other firearms specific solutions are perfectly valid for many applications, but not my location. I'd run afoul of both the law and my idiot neighbors. :roll:
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

There is an RWS model, my friend has it. I don't know the model number but it was roughly $280. With Beeman heavy mag 22, it will hit a soda can offhand everytime at 25 yards. It takes out crows and squirrels, so I am sure rabbits are fair game. I'll give you the model tomorrow.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Treeman72 wrote:There is an RWS model, my friend has it. I don't know the model number but it was roughly $280. With Beeman heavy mag 22, it will hit a soda can offhand everytime at 25 yards. It takes out crows and squirrels, so I am sure rabbits are fair game. I'll give you the model tomorrow.
Thanks!
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

olyinaz wrote:

Because the thorn-free Chilean hybrid mesquite is both lovely and low water use, which makes it perfect for Arizona landscaping. Why the H did you not know that?
Actually, I had the same question. I have not heard of this variety before.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

If powder power is out then the Marauder pre charge would be the wise choice alough pricey. There are several reviews on then just google it.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

20cows wrote:Actually, I had the same question. I have not heard of this variety before.
Those happen to be what I had damaged, but native varieties or acacias - it matters not - they're all beautiful. Ironwoods too.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Marvin S wrote:If powder power is out then the Marauder pre charge would be the wise choice alough pricey. There are several reviews on then just google it.
Unless civilization was up and running, getting a tank pressured up might be impossible.... :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Most PSP air guns have an optional hand pump that can be bought with them. Just like Lewis and Clark.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

BlaineG wrote:
Marvin S wrote:If powder power is out then the Marauder pre charge would be the wise choice alough pricey. There are several reviews on then just google it.
Unless civilization was up and running, getting a tank pressured up might be impossible.... :idea:
Hand pump. Takes CO2 cylinders too. :wink:
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

olyinaz wrote:Thank you for the comments and suggestions fellas. I am leaning towards the Benjamin Marauder in .25 caliber. If anyone has any experience with the pre-charge Marauder please let me know.

The suggestions for CB caps and other firearms specific solutions are perfectly valid for many applications, but not my location. I'd run afoul of both the law and my idiot neighbors. :roll:

No personal experience, but have seen American Airgunner shows, and read a lot, and if I coulf afford a PCP rifle and the accessories needed to use it, I would get one. I know they have chrono'd speeds at 1,000fps in 22 cal. That's not factory claims but proven. Some models sayt 1200fps in 22. You can also get them up to 40 cal for really big critters. but setting them at about 750-800fps will get you about 30+ shots per charge. These guys kill squirrels at 50yds and it bang flop.

These guys ought to have something you can drool over Pyramid Air
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

olyinaz wrote:

As I understand it, mesquites in Texas are roughly like Palos Verdes in AZ :mrgreen: Weeds.

I liked the blue Palo Verde ok, but I still wouldn't ever plant one.

I think I'd opt for .22 shorts out of a rifle. They are pretty quiet and do the job.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

It is a constant struggle to keep mesquite from taking over pastures at the ranch. I have killed thousands of them, but there are thousands more left.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

In air rifles I have always thought that the .177 was the most efficient. If I go to 22 I might as well stick with my 22 rifle and CB caps.
In a hunting rifle I like 1000 fps minimum in a .177 bore. I have good things about the Gamo Big Cat 1250, and the Hatsan 1000s. If you're set on a .22 caliber air rifle the Hatsan 95 is a great value. You can step up a tad with a Diana RWS model 34 at about $240.00
The Gamo is Spanish, the Hatsan is Turkish, and the Diana German. I have had mixed experience with the Chicom made guns my cheap .177 still going strong and a couple more expensive models falling apart within a year. I believe the Ruger, Winchester, and Stoeger air rifles are all Chicom made.

http://www.amazon.com/Gamo-Rifle-Platin ... P7CR4W9T32
http://www.amazon.com/Hatsan-1000s-Stri ... +air+rifle
http://www.amazon.com/Hatsan-Rifle-Comb ... =hatsan+95
http://www.amazon.com/RWS-Compact-Rifle ... ana+rws+34
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Mesquite locally known as Kiawe (kee-yah-veh) is also a bane here but the best wood for pulehu (poo-leh-who) or barbeque.
Barbeque a bunny. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

92&94 wrote:As I understand it, mesquites in Texas are roughly like Palos Verdes in AZ :mrgreen: Weeds.

I liked the blue Palo Verde ok, but I still wouldn't ever plant one.

I think I'd opt for .22 shorts out of a rifle. They are pretty quiet and do the job.
We plant a lot of palo verdes for landscaping in AZ, but there is a Desert Museum hybrid that has become very popular. A bit greener and with more luxurious foliage and blooms. Still a palo verde though!

Sadly, .22 shorts are not an option.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Those durn things would grow between the pavement and the curb at all the houses I had in Tucson, I hated them :lol: You could cut them off flush to the pavement and they'd be back in a few months. Un-killable.

Seems like they also tended to suffer from wind more than did mesquites, at least more than did "unlandscaped" mesquites. The palos verdes seemed to have weak, punky wood, as you'd expect with such a fast grower.

Thorns didn't help either :mrgreen:

Now ironwoods I liked. I even liked catclaw, in spite of encountering them often while doing field work.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Another vote for the Air Arms TX200 in .177, using wadcutter H&N or RWS match pellets.
These pellets ate very accurate, impart more shock to the target, and cut a sharp-edged
"cookie-cutter" hole that promotes rapid blood loss. Mine chronos 940 fps and will stay
under 1" at 50 yards from a rest. Excellent trigger and build quality is superb. I have a
Leupold 3-9x AO Extended Focus Range (EFR) scope which is compact, with great optics
and mechanical reliability. The light weight offsets the weight of the TX somewhat.
Of interest, the TX, being a relatively heavy rifle, is not very "hold sensitive" and gives
predictable accuracy either off the bench or offhand. Lighter weight, powerful spring
piston air rifles can require a special "Hold" to shoot well off a rest (and it's different
from firearms). which takes some experimenting and practice. The TX is easily
zeroed/accuracy tested with different pellets from the bench, and the zero stays
consistent when firing offhand.

I've done a good bit of bunny hunting with it and an Air Arms Pro-Elite in .22 (chrono's 835 fps)
which was also quite accurate. I sold the PE and kept the TX. Accuracy is the key, and I've
found that when shot with a wadcutter pellet between the eye and ear, most bunnies would
drop and not even kick a hind foot. It's important to know your rifle well, zero it well, and
practice offhand and from field-expedient rest positions as appropriate. Pick your shots and
don't take the ones you're not at least 90% sure you can make. Properly hit, bunnies go down
easily in my experience. And, MAN, are they tasty!! I hope you're eating 'em. I would pay
good money to have your problem infestation in my yard!! :D

I've also taken a bunch of squirrels with my wife's Beeman R7, a quiet, light, handy, gentle little airgun
that is a joy to shoot. It only gets 600 fps chrono'ed. but makes up for that with near-match
accuracy. I just limit my shots to 20-25 yards max. It works well when used very carefully,
but the extra power of the TX really turns it into a death ray on squirrels and bunnies.

I have had many pump-up pneumatic airguns while growing up, but the "crack" at firing is
a big disadvantage when one has neighbors. I'd check the noise of any PCP (pre-charged
pneumatic) air rifle before I bought one, for that reason.

Straight Shooters Airguns website has a lot of good info such as accuracy, real-world power figures, decibel
ratings, etc, and they also have a good airgun forum. I got the R-7 from them years ago and was
very pleased with their service, etc.

Hope this helps,
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968