32 Winchester Special, Mis-stamped?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cpy911
Levergunner

32 Winchester Special, Mis-stamped?

Post by cpy911 »

Hi all,
I got done shooting some reloads in my 30-30 the other day. I was inspecting brass and was surprised to run across a case that was stamped 32 Winchester Special. I DID shoot this case along with the others. I had no problems with it. Could this be mis-stamped? Anyone know what the heck a 32 Win Special is and why it is stamped on what appears to be a 30-30 case? I am baffled!

See the culprit below:

The culprit standing next to a Remington Core-Lok factory load...cases look the same....

Thanks!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 32 Winchester Special, Mis-stamped?

Post by 86er »

It is the same case - on is necked to .30 cal and one to 32 cal. You can neck down 32 WS to 30 WCF and you can neck up 30 WCF to 32 WS. I use both cases to form 35-30 cases too.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Were those dimples on that primer enough to detonate ?
A win 32spl is just that, a win 32spl. Another caliber in the long line of Winchester fame. As for which came first 30-30 or 32 spl- IDK. But I bet someone does.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What 86er said + 1 .
The .30-30 came first. The .32 Special was developed to replace the discontinued BP.32-40 I have read.
I was not around in those days so reading about it is about the best I can do. :?
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Not to be confused with .32-20 Winchester, .32-40 Winchester, or .32 Winchester Self-Loading.

The .32 Winchester Special (or .32 WS) is a rimmed cartridge created in October 1901 for use in the Winchester Model 94 lever-action rifle.[2] It is similar in name but unrelated to the .32-20 Winchester cartridge (which is also known as .32 WCF).

History[edit]

This cartridge is based on the .30-30 Winchester cartridge of 1895, but differs from the .30-30 in bullet diameter. More significantly, Winchester decreased the rate of rifling twist in their Model 94 rifle, from 1:12 when chambered for the .30-30 to 1:16 when chambered for the .32 Winchester Special. Winchester used the slower twist to reduce fouling retention when creating a new cartridge for sportsmen who wanted to reload their own ammunition using black powder and cast bullets.[3] It was also marketed as something more powerful than the .30-30 and yet had less recoil than the .30 Army.[2][4] This new cartridge enjoyed only moderate success, and remained hampered by the small selection of available bullets in the .321 diameter.[2] There is a wide selection of bullet types and weights for the .30-30, while the only commonly-available bullets in .321 diameter are 170 grain and 165 grain. Also, due to the slow twist of the barrel, accuracy suffered when the barrel exhibited wear.

Performance[edit]

Ballistics are similar to the .30-30 cartridge and its .308 caliber (7.62mm) bullet, but the larger diameter .321 (8.15 mm) bullet of the .32 WS will create a larger wound. However, given the same weight of bullet in both calibers, the .30 caliber would have a greater sectional density, and correspondingly greater penetration.[5] According to Winchester's original claims, the .32 WS has about 5-10% more energy than the .30-30 at point-blank ranges, and less at longer ranges due to increased drag due to the .321's greater diameter and reduced sectional density.[6]

See also[edit]
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Somewhere along the line that fired 32 Special case got mixed in with fired 30/30 cases. Full-length resized in process of reloading and became just another 30/30 case, albeit with the 32 Special headstamp. Nothing hazardous going on -- just gives a fellow a bit of a surprise if you look at the headstamps.

If it had still been a 32 Special with its .321 diameter bullet it wouldn't have chambered.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
cpy911
Levergunner

Post by cpy911 »

Ah, now it all makes sense. Thanks!
earlmck wrote:Somewhere along the line that fired 32 Special case got mixed in with fired 30/30 cases. Full-length resized in process of reloading and became just another 30/30 case, albeit with the 32 Special headstamp. Nothing hazardous going on -- just gives a fellow a bit of a surprise if you look at the headstamps.

If it had still been a 32 Special with its .321 diameter bullet it wouldn't have chambered.