454 casull verses 1911

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

454 casull verses 1911

Post by Sigmar »

which and why ? really thinking of trading in my casull but kinda cringing at the same time. It will be one or the other.
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 454 casull verses 1911

Post by rogn »

Sigmar, dont we need some more info? What use, experience, plans, etc
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

completely an apples to oranges comparison .. Both are good items to have under the right circumstances --- obviously a 1911 in 45 ACP has roughly 1/3 the power of the 454, but is a better firearm for some uses -- A 454 has all the horsepower in the world but wouldn't be my first choice if I needed a bedside table gun
----- Doug
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

always been a wheelgun kind of guy hence my hesitation. but yes this choice is mainly with self defense in mind and I see the answer on the horizon.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ALL OF US !!! YEEEEEEE GADS......WHATTA WASTE OF BANDWIDTH.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Hmmm.... you've got the world's premier hunting revolver cartridge in hand and you are considering acquiring the world's premier handgun self-defense cartridge. And you don't have room for one of each?

You're kidding us, arentcha Sigmar?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

earlmck wrote:Hmmm.... you've got the world's premier hunting revolver cartridge in hand and you are considering acquiring the world's premier handgun self-defense cartridge. And you don't have room for one of each?

You're kidding us, arentcha Sigmar?
more an issue of funds otherwise yes it would be a no brainer
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sigmar wrote:always been a wheelgun kind of guy hence my hesitation. but yes this choice is mainly with self defense in mind and I see the answer on the horizon.
357 mag has been a fine self defense round for decades if you like wheelguns -- someof the current S&W's are available in 7 & 8 shot variations as well
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Buffalo Bore makes some fine hunting .45acp if you know your limitations....The 255 grain, flatnose, hardcast comes to mind.....I recall a test where these penetrated over twice as far as FMJ 230s.....My limitations would be fifty yards, at which range these would only drop about 2 inches 8) https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=214
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Terry Murbach wrote:YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ALL OF US !!! YEEEEEEE GADS......WHATTA WASTE OF BANDWIDTH.
What? "90mm recoilless rifle vs. Red Rider BB gun - what should I buy?" It seems very straight forward to me!!

:D
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

olyinaz wrote:
Terry Murbach wrote:YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ALL OF US !!! YEEEEEEE GADS......WHATTA WASTE OF BANDWIDTH.
What? "90mm recoilless rifle vs. Red Rider BB gun - what should I buy?" It seems very straight forward to me!!

My take was which one to trade on something else? :?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

BlaineG wrote:Buffalo Bore makes some fine hunting .45acp if you know your limitations....The 255 grain, flatnose, hardcast comes to mind.....I recall a test where these penetrated over twice as far as FMJ 230s.....My limitations would be fifty yards, at which range these would only drop about 2 inches 8) https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=214
I take it that would be P+, who builds a 1911 that can safely handle those pressures ?
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

olyinaz wrote:

would be if it was for hunting only, leaning to defense
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sigmar wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Buffalo Bore makes some fine hunting .45acp if you know your limitations....The 255 grain, flatnose, hardcast comes to mind.....I recall a test where these penetrated over twice as far as FMJ 230s.....My limitations would be fifty yards, at which range these would only drop about 2 inches 8) https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l ... tail&p=214
I take it that would be P+, who builds a 1911 that can safely handle those pressures ?
Buffalo Bore loads their stuff to be shot in any modern weapon that's in good shape....

Snip from the link I posted:

"45ACP+P ammo is externally/dimensionally identical to 45 ACP ammo and can be fired in any 45 acp firearm that is in normal operating condition. However, the greater pressures and power of the +P ammo will give you greater slide velocity and if you are going to shoot more than a box or two of +P ammo, you should consider replacing your recoil spring with a Wolf Spring that gives roughly 4 to 6 lbs more spring weight than factory stock springs. A shock buffer might also be a good addition although it is not too necessary if you use the stronger spring."

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Let's see - I could list a few guns that have been sold that are now collectibles; all of which were really cool. Reason: Inexperience and/or idiocy on my part. I wish I had them now: A Mars 9mm (excellent condition), .455 Webley revolver (excellent), .38 Police Positive Special (new, purchased when "The Untouchables" aired on TV and this was the pistol shown at the intro) - well, I'll stop here. I'm getting sick in the pit of my stomach. I won't admit to the rifles that I let go; why broadcast to the Internet world just how foolish I was in earlier years?

The .454 isn't in my stable, and I'm happy with the uber .44 Mag and .45 Colt loads that can be realized with my modern manufacture sixguns. But it's like what they say about a bald head: You may not want it, but you certainly don't want to lose it.

You live in Texas. Sooner or later, those hordes of wild hogs that are proliferating there will probably be running down main street into your business or shop. The .454 with healthy 'tween loads (in between .45 Colt and .454 Tyrannosaurus slayers) would be just the ticket. Blaine gave you some good advice, but my idea is to have a heavy gun built to take abuse rather than beat up a pistol that was specifically engineered for a lower pressure large caliber bullet.

I considered dropping in a .460 Rowland kit for my beautiful Colt 1911 MkIV for some future hog hunt. But besides having to use a loading bench just to field strip it with that heavy recoil spring, I just couldn't see the sense of putting all of that pressure into a gun that was (after all) designed around 1911. So I purchased a Taurus .44 Mag, then a Ruger SA .44 Mag 10.5" silhouette gun when a great deal became available. Much better than trying to strain and alter an already perfect defense pistol.

Quit frequenting Starbucks (a huge waste of money), or eating at McDonald's, or having your lawn mowed, instead. Or sell your neighbor's dog. Don't Cash In the Casull!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Why not keep the 454 and load it with .45 Colt rounds, if you reload put about 9 grains of Unique under 255 grain cast and you are ready for whatever comes through the door.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

JohndeFresno wrote:Quit frequenting Starbucks (a huge waste of money)
:shock: What??!! Egads man! Civilization teeters! :lol:
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I must be dense. I still don't understand the original post.

Kevin
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Which Casull?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

It's a NO brainer. Keep the 454, U aint gonna get nuthin fer it anyway. Save up and buy a 1911 - U won't regret it. Skip the Starbucks and in 30 days you've saved $150 bucks. Just My 2c and with everyone elses look what U saved.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't have a .454, but I do have a .45 Rock Island, and to say what everyone else has said, they are not really comparable. A .454 can be loaded down to use some pretty mild loads in .45 Colt, but a .45 ACP can never be loaded up to the pressures of a .454. If it is not going to be carried on you, then then the .454 might be the better choice.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

JerryB wrote:Why not keep the 454 and load it with .45 Colt rounds, if you reload put about 9 grains of Unique under 255 grain cast and you are ready for whatever comes through the door.
This.

I'm not normally one to be overly critical about asking questions. Lord knows I've asked my share, but seriously. Try this instead next time.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It amazes me that a .45acp would be among the top choices if selecting a hand gun with stopping power for 200+ pound, drug crazed criminals, BUT, poo-pooed as useless for a 200+ pound deer :lol: Just sayin'..(presuming, of course, one has the sense to get within proper range for a reliable hit) From what I've seen at different ranges, 99% of the shooting public could not hit deer with a "proper" hunting handgun.....A .308 sucks for deer if you use a FMJ.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

+1. Unless you are gonna shoot a brown bear at 100 yards or farther, the above mentioned BB load will work just as well.