94 Front Sight Base

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wfo
Levergunner 1.0

94 Front Sight Base

Post by wfo »

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get my front sight base re-soldered to the barrel of my 1963 model 94. I was installing a HiViz on it, and had a wood back up block, but still broke it off. Less then 1/4 of the soldered mating area was still shiny, and the rest was kind of black, so I guess it was just barely hanging on.
We the people are the Rightful Masters of both Congress and the Courts. Not to overthrow The Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert The Constitution.

Abraham Lincoln
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: 94 Front Sight Base

Post by Malamute »

I knocked one off a pre-64 once also, it was epoxied back on from being knocked off before I got it. I had a decent local gunsmith do it. Steve could also do it I imagine, if you can't find anyone local.

http://stevesgunz.com/

I eventually had an early type (SRC style) front sight base made.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
wfo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wfo »

Malamute wrote:I knocked one off a pre-64 once also, it was epoxied back on from being knocked off before I got it. I had a decent local gunsmith do it. Steve could also do it I imagine, if you can't find anyone local.

http://stevesgunz.com/

I eventually had an early type (SRC style) front sight base made.
Did it discolor the bluing when he soldered it? I just broke it today. My regular gunsmith said he couldn't solder, so hopefully I can find someone here in town to do it.
We the people are the Rightful Masters of both Congress and the Courts. Not to overthrow The Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert The Constitution.

Abraham Lincoln
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

It may have discolored, but I dont think so. Brownells makes a low temp silver solder, or soft solder would probably work also. Most decent gunsmiths should have it.

There's a neat trick to getting a clean solder line also. Don't know how well known it is, I saw it done once, and suggested it to another 'smith that did some solder work for me, he didn't know it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
wfo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wfo »

Thanks Malamute. What was the trick? I did sheet metal work for years and laid down thousands of pounds of soldier, but never anything like this.

Abraham Lincoln
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

You can use chalk to prevent the solder from migrating to where it aint wanted. Clean and tin the joint area of the barrel and the sight. Lightly clamp the base in place and sweat/fuse the two together with heat from a propane torch. A propane torch will get it done if low temp solder is used like Brownells High Force 44.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... od709.aspx
Brownells also has the chalk to use with it.
They will send free of charge the instruction sheet that goes with it just for asking. Call the tech line.
Have fun!! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

There's lots of Youtube videos on how to silver solder with a propane torch.

Depending on the condition of the rifle, its no big deal to D&T for two 6-48 screws. You could epoxy it first............then shoot it to make sure its on..........then D&T it.---------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

wfo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wfo »

Much obliged. I'll check it out.

Abraham Lincoln
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Bobby Pitchford (pcgguns.com) in Waller, TX will do it quick and inexpensive.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member