Fiberoptic front sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Fiberoptic front sights

Post by jnyork »

Having not seen my handgun front sight in about 15 years, , I was pleasantly surprised when firing my friend's Ruger Mark III target model with a fiberoptic front sight. I was really quite astonished at how easy it was to see and how well I could shoot it. If you are having trouble with old eyes or some such, give fiberoptic a try if you get a chance, might make a world of difference for you.

Off to Brownells now.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fiberoptic front sights

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Interesting you would post as I was about to ask a question about fiber optics. I was going to ask about them for a front sight on a Winchester trapper. I plan on using a WD rear recvr sight, and a fiber optic front. Was going to go with green. Not sure if I need the higher or lower sight. What does the forum say? Thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Mike, I put a red Williams Firesight on my .30-30 Trapper with a steel Lyman 66 receiver sight.

My particular vision responds better to an amber or red front sight bead, but the FO fronts are also available in green or yellow from the various other FO sight makers, like Hi-Viz, Tru-Glo, T/C, etc.

I used the same height FO front sight as the issue sight on my Trapper - but I made sure to buy one with a "W" (wide) base, so as to fill the barrel dovetail slot. (Narrower "M"/medium width sights are meant for sight ramps)

Like Ivory or Gold bead front sight blades, FP beads are available in both a 1/16" (fine) & a 3/32" (coarse) size - I find the finer/smaller size best for most game shooting (but YMMV).

FWIW, I jumped on FO sights when they were first introduced, many years ago - and, now, every one of my iron-sighted rifles carry them, whether also scoped or not.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I tried a a fiberoptic front sight on my little Henry rifle with a Williams FP receiver sight and had very inconsistent results. My point of impact seemed to change with lighting conditions as did the apparent size of the glowing front bead. It worked as advertized under low light conditions, though. For the record I used a red rod as that seemed to have the best visibility in a variety of conditions over a green rod. In the end, I switched back to a post type front sight and I'm very pleased. A friend of mine had similar issues with the factory green fiberoptic front sight on a S&W J-frame .22 revolver. He also switched to a blade front sight and never looked back. I haven't personally owned a handgun with fiberoptic or tritium type sights.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Have a red TruGlo on the Henry rim fire and a Williams Firesight Red on the 94 Trapper w/ rear peep.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Sounds like red is better than green.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

red works better in the woods than green does have one on a 94. danny
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

rjohns94 wrote:Interesting you would post as I was about to ask a question about fiber optics. I was going to ask about them for a front sight on a Winchester trapper. I plan on using a WD rear recvr sight, and a fiber optic front. Was going to go with green. Not sure if I need the higher or lower sight. What does the forum say? Thanks
I lost the front sight on my 94AE trapper in .30-30. I bought a Marbles green fiber optic. I had to file it down some where the sight was hitting the barrel band. I like it a lot. Been thinking of putting a skinner or XS sight on the back. I can see where red might work better than green, but green is pretty good. I'll try and post a pic tomorrow
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

rjohns94 wrote:Interesting you would post as I was about to ask a question about fiber optics. I was going to ask about them for a front sight on a Winchester trapper. I plan on using a WD rear recvr sight, and a fiber optic front. Was going to go with green. Not sure if I need the higher or lower sight. What does the forum say? Thanks
Put orange fiber optic front sight on Win M94and Marlin 1895. Both using Williams peeps. At 100 yards groups increased 1/2" to 3/4". On cloudy days it was a lot easier to see and shoot, as opposed to the regular sights. I used the "kit from Midway that had the Marlin top mount peep, it came with 2 front sights for both Win and Marlin rifles.

Been looking at the sight for my Ruger MKIII also, glad they work good.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

been looking at the fiber-optics for my Win.94's too. i' have trijicon night sights on my two service Glocks, but they are SOP. I've recently noticed a trend away from the trijicons or the mertrolights towards the fiber-optics...this thread is timely, especially since many of us will be using our Cabela's "hunting walker" this year...only kidding...well kind-of... :)
th.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

30wcf wrote:been looking at the fiber-optics for my Win.94's too. i' have trijicon night sights on my two service Glocks, but they are SOP. I've recently noticed a trend away from the trijicons or the mertrolights towards the fiber-optics...this thread is timely, especially since many of us will be using our Cabela's "hunting walker" this year...only kidding...well kind-of... :)
th.jpg
Does the seat double as a cooler or diaper container :P Is there a holder for your .38/40 New Improved Rimless Short pistol?

How do the Tru-Glo sights hold up?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The last time I looked at rifle FO front sights they were all a bead configuration. Is there any that have a post shaped top with the FO insert?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

J Miller wrote:The last time I looked at rifle FO front sights they were all a bead configuration. Is there any that have a post shaped top with the FO insert?

Joe
Not AFAIK - FO's are made from round rods, which absorb light from one end, amplified by the light entering from the round sides (why the only sight hood that lets them glow is one with a hole in the roof).

IIRC, FO rods are drawn via letting the soft/molten material slowly drain vertically, the distance, speed & temp governing the rod diameter.

I would think that a square rod would bounce light beams throughout the rod, negating the "glow".