OT - Remington Model 700

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
capitanchris
Levergunner

OT - Remington Model 700

Post by capitanchris »

Has anyone had any comparitive experense with a Model 700 in comparison to other rifles fresh out of the box with accurcy? I have been told that it is one of the best and the bench shooters have them re-worked to increase the accurcy. I know it is not a lever action but it appears that there is a wealth of knowledge from people on this site...

Thanks
dave in maine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dave in maine »

mine was made in the 80's and will shoot three shots into an inch at 100 yds from a cold bbl. from the box but most 06 s will do that imho it just takes tlime to find out what load that particular rifle likes.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

The M40A1 Marine Sniper rifle is a modified 700 action and they use .308W to bust people out to 800 yards and beyond. That should tell you something.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I bought my first 700 used in 1982, and even with a lightweight sporter barrel it shot under 3/4" at 100 yds. I bought a new 700VSF last year, and it shoots a bit better with the heavy varmint fluted barrel.
The difference between the two guns is that the new gun shoots just as good when the barrel gets warmed up, where the sporter barrel would begin to string a bit vertically as it got hot.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I know where there are a couple dozen or so Model 700's including 4 in my safe, and every single one of the rifles will shoot under an inch right out of the box. Remington makes a very good barrel! If I were in the market for a competition Tack driver I would get one of the Heavy barrel varieties probably the 40x model 700. As Jeremy stated our very own Military uses them, and that does indeed say something!
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I've got a 700 Classic in 8mm Mag that will hang with any varmint gun it will put 5 200gr A-Frames into 3/4" all day long. Who says anything over 30 caliber won't shoot sub-m.o.a.? I also have a Model 7 LSS in 7mm-08 that is just as sweet. As has been said before you just have to find what they like.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have them in four calibers and all were sub inch rifles when they came to me without doing anything to them.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

2row
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 2row »

I've got a few rems. in differant cal and they all shoot wonderful . small little groups all the 06s are older guns that I bought new they are some of the best shooting guns made I thank. :lol: :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have two, both in 7MMRemMag. 1st was a BDL w/exceptional wood, it would shoot sub moa outta the box; after floating the barrel I have got sub ½moa w/Nosler 140gr BTs. The new one is a cusom and has yet to punch a hole outside the "X" ring @200yds on the 100yd bullseye target. Sure wish I could afford the Nikon 6-24x50 scope the Dept took back when I left! :oops:

I feel it is THE best bolt gun offered, worthy of every accolode heaped upon it. I've shot against all manner of bolt guns and have never been shamed over my choice of gun. If I were to replace either it would be with another.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

No I haven't, but like many here, I have a friend that has and says they are the most accurate action and far and away the best in out of the box accurate. I find that I am the limiting factor when I shoot pretty much no matter what it is that I am shooting!
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

My PSS in 308 WCF, which I bought new about 11 years ago, started off sub MOA and after thousands of rounds has only tightened it's groups. A very accurate rifle and it's been shot head to head with Winchesters, Rugers, etc.. and never let me down.
Old Law Dawg
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

"far and away the best in out of the box accurate."

I couldn't agree more. When I still owned bolt actions, the 700 was all I'd own. Now, I only shoot Marlin leveractions.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Cocked & Locked
Levergunner

Post by Cocked & Locked »

.270 Win. 700 BDL. I opened the box installed the Leupold and removed factory iron sights. I zeroed it in with Remington Core-Lokt 130 grain bullets.

It shot 1" or less groups @ 100 yards. That was years ago. Today I handload for it and often get smaller groups.

I also have a stainless 700 in a synthetic stock. It is a .300 magnum and shoots equally as well.
C&L
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

Remington 700 is as accurate as any in the price range. One good feature is that a wide variety of accessory and custom parts are available.

Not many serious benchrest competitors are using Remington 700 actions these days, as a precision purpose built custom action can be had that is ready to go, without the all the modifications necessary to blueprint a Remington. Even with all the work such as action truing, bolt lug truing, sleeving and firing pin hole bushing, precision barreling, heavy recoil lug, speed lock firing pin and tuned trigger, the Remington will not be competitive with a true benchrest rig. However, I have an old Remington 700 that was rebuilt last year with all the goodies and it will shoot .25" to .50" groups all day. That's plenty good for varmint.

Other rifles to consider are the Savage and Weatherby Vanguard, both usually equal or better the Remington, and may be less expensive.
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

It’s been my experience that Savage has the most accurate out of the box bolt action. They’re not as refined as a 700 Rem but they don’t cost as much either.

Dennis.
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

Here is my sendero 25-06 out of the box at 100 yrds. The thrown shot to the NW is my fault for misreading the wind. Now that I have adjusted the trigger (only took 4 years to get up the guts to do it), these type of targets are much easier to create and I have shot better ones.

I would say they are pretty accurate, but then again, a bit of tweaking can certainly help make it better.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

I have a Rem 700 Bdl in 6mm Rem. It has a 20"bbl and shoot's some pretty small group's. I had a .243 of the same configuration and it shot the same small group's.
Karl
Big K
Levergunner

Post by Big K »

As of late I have gotten more "lemons" in the Remington 700 line then I did in the previous decades of buying and shooting a large number of Model 700 rifles...I bought two Model 700's in 243, and could not coax better than 1 1/2" out of either one at 100 yards, even after extensive load development...Same with a 25-06.

On the other side of the coin I once owned an 8mm Magnum which shot near 1"" all day long with 185 gr. Remington factory ammo. Another 25-06 shot just as well, and I now own a simple garden variety Model 700 ADL with the cheapo black plastic stock which does an honest 3/4" with Hornady 75 grainers.

Fit and finish has also suffered in later Model 700's..If you put up a Model 700 rifle from the 70's decade aside of a newer one, you will see the differences are quite evident in terms of the bluing as well as general appearence...............These days I buy Savage bolt actions just because they seem to shoot better.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

There are other bolt guns?? My Remingtons are fine shooters. As was stated earlier, the 700 is the best.

TomF
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

There is nothing wrong with the Rem 700....excellent rifle by any measure but I have to say that by any standard I think the Savage's with the new adjustable trigger are every bit as good for about 1/3 less cash.

Wm
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I have owned two, a 222 BDL and a stainless syn stock in 243. Both were sub MOA but I prefere the BDL shooting from the shoulder. I use to be able to shoot rabbits with the 222 BDL off hand to 200ish yds, why I sold it :roll: The triggers are limited for adjustment but ok. A friend had a 17Rem BDL for years, we had some fun with it. I remember a running fox in excess of 300yds tumbling from it! Another friend use to use Mannlichers untill he bought a 270 BDL, it has taken red deer on the hill up to 400ish yds!
Nowt up with Remmys,
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

One of the best things about the 700 is that the trigger is so easy to adjust!!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have a 700 I put a 6.5-06 heavy varmit barrel on, and some work to it.
It's scarey
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

TomF wrote:There are other bolt guns?? My Remingtons are fine shooters. As was stated earlier, the 700 is the best.

TomF
My 1956 Vintage Pre-64 Model 70 '06 will shoot a 1/2 inch group of 3 at 100 yards :) After 3, the barrel gets warm and it wanders out to 1 inch. I'm still under 1 inch. :wink: That's using hand loads....220 grain Hornady....
Last edited by Jarhead on Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Jarhead wrote:
TomF wrote:There are other bolt guns?? My Remingtons are fine shooters. As was stated earlier, the 700 is the best.

TomF
My 1956 Vintage Pre-64 Model 70 '06 will shoot a 1/2 inch group of 3 at 100 yards :) After 3, the barrel gets warm and it wanders out to 1 inch. I'm still under 1 inch. :wink: That's using hand loads....220 grain Hornady....
Oh forgot....she's under 1 inch at 200 yards as well :wink: Shot a Dall Sheep with her in Aug. 1994 at 400 yards..."One shot...one Kill." Using 165GR Boat Tails... :wink:
Semper Fi
Quick Karl

Post by Quick Karl »

I have a Remington 700 SVS Varmint .243 Winchester factory-stock action, barrel and trigger, which I mounted in an HS Precision replacement stock...

Will shoot sub 1/2" groups all day long with good hand loads that were worked up for the rifle and easily shoot 1" groups with select factory ammo - no exaggerations.

And all my groups are always 5-shot groups
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Quick Karl wrote:I have a Remington 700 SVS Varmint .243 Winchester factory-stock action, barrel and trigger, which I mounted in an HS Precision replacement stock...

Will shoot sub 1/2" groups all day long with good hand loads that were worked up for the rifle and easily shoot 1" groups with select factory ammo - no exaggerations.

And all my groups are always 5-shot groups

OK...Remingtons are alright :lol: I'd probably take one if somebody gave it to me for a gift. :roll: However, for a .243, I REALLY like my Belgium Browning BLR....1971 vintage. VERY ACCURATE :!: Reckon, my Dad brain washed me :) I like those large claw extractors.... :wink:
Semper Fi
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

My experience is much the same as others. I bought a 700adl in 270 in 1972. It will still do 3/4" groups as long as I do my part even after many thousands of rounds. I had a bdl varmint special in 223 I let go in a weak moment to my brother and he won't sell it back to me. I'd hunt with the 270 more but it seems like cheating.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith