2400 powder?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

2400 powder?

Post by Gryphon Black »

I posted this on the Marlin forum too...

I'm looking for a good powder for hard hitting magnum loads that don't beat up the guns too bad. Thinking about 2400.
I'd need it for stout loads outa my 24" marlin 1894 .45colt. And also for milady's Marlin 1894 .357 and her 4" inch Ruger security six.
It would need to have good uniformity in the rifles, not so much in the Ruger. Her bad guy shooting distance wouldn't be further than across the room.
I'd want it to burn clean, and get a good smooth high speed launch on the slug, but not pound hell out of the rifles actions. Not worried about the Ruger, it can take care of itself!
Who likes 2400 for this?
Anything else y'all like?

Gryphon
bang.
dave in maine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dave in maine »

blue dot seems to give me slightly less velocity with decidedly less recoil in both marlin 1894 and gp 100
Boomer45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Boomer45 »

I go thru a lot of 2400. I really like it. I use the old "Keith" load of 18.5grs of 2400 under a 255gr lead SWC. Great general purpose load. Powerful yet easy on the guns. I only shoot this load in my Ruger Bisley SBH and my Marlin 1895 Cowboy.

I just started using 2400 in my 357s so I don't have a good load for you yet. Current batch or ammo is 13grs 2400 under a Keith style 168gr SWC from Leadhead Bullets. Haven't had a chance to shoot that one yet so I can't recommend it to you.

Also, I worked up to these loads in my guns. YMMV.

Boomer
Any Time, Any Place
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I like 2400 in the Marlin 24" cowboys I shoot. Works great in both .45Colt and .44mag. :wink:
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I like AA #7 for mag loads. The recoil is not as sharp as I get from 2400 or Blue dot. Makes a difference after a hundred rounds through a Blackhawk!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

IT WOULD SEEM TO ME YOU ARE IN DIRE NEED OF A GOOD LOADING MANUAL. BY THE WAY, THEY'RE ALL GOOD.
2400 PROPELLENT WAS THE ORIGINAL PROPELLENT USED IN THE 357mag IN 1937. THAT MEANS THERE IS 73 YEARS OF ACCUMULATED LOADING DATA FOR THAT PROPELLENT IN THAT CARTRIDGE.
YOU ASK THAT THE LOADS " NOT POUND THE HELL OUT OF THE RIFLES ACTIONS " BUT YOU WANT TO " GET A GOOD HIGH SPEED LAUNCH OF THE SLUG ", WHATEVER IN THE WORLD THAT MEANS.
THIS WOULD BE LIKE ASKING FORD/CHEVY/DODGE WHAT GAS TO BURN IN THEIR TRUCK SO YOU CAN HAVE A GOOD HIGH SPEED LAUNCH BUT NEVER--NEVER MIND YOU !!!!--PUT ANY WEAR ON THE TRUCK. SORRY TO INFORM YOU OF THIS BUT THERE ARE NO FREE LUNCHES AT ANY TIME FOR ANYTHING. YOU LITERALLY CANNOT HAVE WHAT YOU'RE ASKING FOR IN THE WAY YOU'RE ASKING !!!
FURTHERMORE, WHEN THEY HAVE YOUR WIFE ON THE STAND TO DISCUSS THE LOADS SHE USED AND WHERE SHE GOT 'EM TO USE ON THE INTRUDER SHE WHACKED WITH YOUR 2400-HIGH-SPEED-LAUNCHED-" SLUGS ", SHE BETTER BE ABLE TO DO SOME TAAAAAALL TALKING.
IT WOULD BE MY SUGGESTION YOU DO SOME TAAAAAALL THINKING HERE ABOUT ALL THIS.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

2400 is a VERY versatile powder and has been around
a LONG time. I think it'd work fine in all of the above-mentioned
calibers. Get a good manual (try the Lee to start), and go
have fun.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I can understand the desire for non-pounding velocity, in that theoretically a push just slow enough to get the bullet launched at 1500 fps at the muzzle would jolt the action less than one which gets the bullet 1500 fps 10 inches down the tube, with little or no gain beyond...

However, I sure don't know powder pressure curves well enough myself to answer the question...

I'd assume the 'slower' powder would spike pressure less, but perhaps throw more muzzle flash/blast.

As for self defense, lawyers CAN make someone using reloads look bad, although those kinds of lawyers are pond scum.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I do agree though that 2400 is probably the most universal pistol caliber powder.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Gryphon,
I use 11.0 gr of 2400 under a hard cast 180 gr TC bullet (this is not a max load) in my 1894C and both of my handguns. The Lasercast loading manual shows a velocity of approximately 1400 fps from the carbine, I think it was 1100 from the pistols. It is very accurate in all three. YMMV. As far as I am concened, 2400 is THE powder for the .357 and 44 magnums! :D

centershot
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

2400 is awesome in the .45colt H110 is another good one. 18grn with a 250gr bullet screams out of a riffle.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I've been trying 2400 in a Marlin .357 rifle and it is quite accurate. I was hitting rams at 200 meters with a 180 grain bullet. 10 grains was most accurate in my gun, I think I get about 1300-1400 fps.

However, it's not that clean burning. I took a look down the barrel (from the chamber end) after shooting a few rounds and saw lots of unburnt grains in there, plus a good amound of carbon. Also I may be getting some lead in the barrel, perhaps from the heat of the ignition.

2400 is pretty slow for a pistol powder, so I think it's a good candidate for your high speed launch concept. Keeps pressures low for the same velocity.

I also use Blue Dot in another .357 rifle for a low-end load, and it seems just as accurate, cleaner burning, etc. But it's a faster powder.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

2400 is a lot of things, but one thing it isn't is clean burning. IMHO it shines best with heavy bullets for the caliber and a heavy crimp.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

sounds like exactly what I was hoping for, folks! Thanks for the input. I didn't wanna go buy a can and have it turn out that I really shoulda asked first! :lol:
The reloading manual I have is the Lyman, with all the helpful articles and stuff, and I kept seeing that powder shown for lots of loads. Seemed from the listed uses they saw fit to publish that it would serve well, but there is no substitute for experience if it can be consulted, and I am grateful for y'all giving me the okay to buy some and try it out. Can't really afford to just go buy every powder out there, so I wanted to get close on the first can.
And as for my wife's legal defense, she is more likely to use her SP101, which is loaded with cor-bon powerballs and federal hydra-shoks on actual bad guys. I was clued into that concept already. I just want to be able to build her anything she asks for, outside of the factory stuff, and how she uses it is up to her. She might even stuff 'em into her Blackhawk and go shoot toasters or something. [She seems to have more guns than me!]

Gryphon
bang.
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Pick up the Hodgdon annual reloading magazine, Mike Rintual told me they are going online and will not publish these anymore.

Anyway Mike put me on to Lil' Gun. In 357 and 41, it gives high velocity with less pressure than similar powders. does not seem to be the case in 44 or 45+p.

I've not shot any Lil' Gun yet, but my book research confirms what mike said to me at the hog hunt.

9.9 Blue Dot shot well out of my 8" Dan Wesson years ago with 158swc.

also get Alliant's booklet too.

Ok, that said and is all well and good.

Now here's the real secret: ( You're on Double Secret Probabtion not to tell anyone.)

1. There are no really bad powders out there as long as you stay within the spec and catagory for which the powder is meant to be used. What that means is that loading H4831 in a 357 cases will probably suck. And trying to get Clays or Bullseye to give magnum velocity will be harmful and dangerous - to you and your gun. :oops:

2. Read up on what Paco and the Jims (Taylor and Taffin) have written before. Wisdom of the not-yet- anchient. :idea:

3. You really just have to go and throw your $25 down on some type of powder. Load it and shoot it. Is it accurate? Give the velocity needed to kill what you need to kill? Clean? Try the next powder. 2400 has worked for a lot of people for a lot of years, and Blue Dot, and 296, and 800X, and Power Pistol......... :idea:

4. The internet is also great for research. Us old guys would only have the word of some paid-for gun scribbler in a magazine for guidance. Chronograghs would cost a couple of weeks pay, now they're fairly inexpensive. Was there ever a writer that had a gun that shot more than 1/2 " @ 500 yards? and at 3500 fps! In typhoon winds :wink:

5. I learned a long time ago that soda cans and paper targets do not care with what they are hit with. I have adjusted my loads accordingly. I shoot more lighter targets type loads these days. Small groups impress your friends more than making a lot of niose and shooting patterns. To empress us old guys you need to have both power and accuracy. but that comes with a LOT of good shooting with accurate loads.

6. Apply #3 to selecting bullets. (Works with steak rub too!)

those are my secrets. NOW I GOT TO KEELL YOU ALL! :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Rusty wrote:2400 is a lot of things, but one thing it isn't is clean burning. IMHO it shines best with heavy bullets for the caliber and a heavy crimp.
I agree 100%. I've also had great success with VV N110, when I can find it. It comes close to duplicating 2400, but is probably the cleanest, lowest flash & blast, pistol powder I have ever used.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I prefer W296 or H110 over 2400.
2400 has been around for a long time. And there have been proven inprovements in Powders since Elmer Keith.

I don't care how heavy a crimp I use with 2400 it still leaves un-burned powder and lots of soot in the barrel and gun.

It is hard to beat H110 in the 44 mag. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
turnerm66
Levergunner

Post by turnerm66 »

I've sed alot of 2400 in 357 mag. It works well if loaded nere the top end but not so in the middle or low velocity. It will throw muzzle flash like crazy though. I like H110 better and it gives me good velocity w/ excellent accuracy and a little less flash. If your looking for a hard hitting heavy load (180gr or more) then I suggest you try some LilGun. It proved to be my most accurate load and screams, with lower pressures too...the recoil is more of a push than crack. If you want a low flash load for SD then I would go w/ IMR4227. It works well w/ 125 XTP & Gold Dots. It also works well with Speer 135gr Gold Dot HP (used in their short barrel defense loads). You can load them a bit milder and still get good expansion. Stay away from Blue Dot up near the max loads, you will get High Pressure signs before you know it. Well there is my 12:30 in the morning brain dump...Good Luck
Marlin 1893 Takedown == 38-55 Win
Winchester Model 1895 == 30-06
Savage Model 99 == 303 Savage
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

" I learned a long time ago that soda cans and paper targets do not care with what they are hit with. I have adjusted my loads accordingly. I shoot more lighter targets type loads these days. Small groups impress your friends more than making a lot of niose and shooting patterns. To impress us old guys you need to have both power and accuracy. but that comes with a LOT of good shooting with accurate loads."
--Brian SH

BINGO!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A top favorite with me. It will do well for what you want.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

Right there with you guys on the soda cans and paper plates thing. I got a different load I'm working on for that stuff, and that'll be what my guns eat for most of my shooting time.
I also feel that one should have a hard hitter worked up for all or most of ones guns, just so you have it available. Should you need it. Never know.
I guess I'll try the 2400 first, and see what I get, Then, in my copious free time, and with all the extra cash burning a hole in my pocket :mrgreen:, I'll do a run with some lilgun and see if I can beat what 2400 gave me.
I'll be building these on casull cases shortened to colt length, and standard primers, then I'll switch to mag primers and see if it changes much.
But as my friend aleksei taught me when he showed me how to run a press, "One thing at a time, and ferpetesake, write it down when you do it!" :wink:
bang.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

If you want to save some $, you should research surplus WC820.