Yall know what is hard to comeby?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Yall know what is hard to comeby?

Post by Bridger »

Dang near any variety of 220 grain '06 ammo...a few months back, Gander mountain had some Core-Lokts for $20 or so a box, and I passed on them figuring I'd pick some up later. Not only do they not have any, neither does anybody else. Then, I says to myself, I'll buy a lee loader for an '06 and load what I want.....well, I haven't got the loader yet, but it doesn't seem to matter cause 220 grain bullets are still impossible to find. What I really want are some round nose Hornady interlocks. I've heard that most rifles won't stabilize heavy bullets like that, unless they are a round nose because they tend to be shorter for weight. I'm wanting to use them in my BLR, if that influences what yall have to say any.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Yall know what is hard to comeby?

Post by Catshooter »

You mean after the six years of shortages that we're still not done bleeding from you walked past something you needed, had the dough, the price wasn't rape with assault and you kept right on walking?

Mmm. Actually several answers to you question leap to mind here but I think I'll refrain. :)

If I had some of what you seek I'd sure send you some. Unfortunately all I can offer is some bullets I cast from my Lyman 311284 mould. When I shoot them in my Finnish Mosin they do really well and weigh in 222 grains. If I have the mould number right. I'm still on the mend from a bad summer cold, so who knows.

PM me if that would help.

Cat
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm also sorry, nothing to add that helps, the ONLY .30-06 loading I do is with 150s for the M-1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm no help, either - I get all the performance needed from 180gr slugs in my various .30-06's.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

They have never been real common. My first thoughts would be what do you want them for? Not that just wanting something is a bad reason, just that if you felt they were needed for hunting, I think the largest bears are probably about the only thing they'd have much real utility for. The decent quality 180's shoot through most things. I had about 3 feet of penetration with a Rem 180 gr Core Loct load in a deer (hit it beside the tail and found it in the throat). I think it's the only one I've found. If you bump up to premium quality bullets like the Barnes copper, lighter bullets can out penetrate the traditional heavies.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Oh! I thought you were going to talk about an honest politician.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Catshooter wrote:You mean after the six years of shortages that we're still not done bleeding from you walked past something you needed, had the dough, the price wasn't rape with assault and you kept right on walking?

Mmm. Actually several answers to you question leap to mind here but I think I'll refrain. :)

If I had some of what you seek I'd sure send you some. Unfortunately all I can offer is some bullets I cast from my Lyman 311284 mould. When I shoot them in my Finnish Mosin they do really well and weigh in 222 grains. If I have the mould number right. I'm still on the mend from a bad summer cold, so who knows.

Cat

I know, I'm an idiot for walking by them....never again. Right now, I'll hold off on your offer (IT IS very much appreciated though). I may change my mind in the future and try to buy a few off of you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And Malamute, I really have no good reason at all for wanting them, except I just like using heavy bullets. My intention is to take the scope my BLR currently has on it off (I didn't put it on there, it came with it), and put a peep sight on, and turn it into a short range brush gun. I'm sure for anything I would ever do the 150s would do very well, but in my mind I need 220s lol

- Winston Churchill
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Bridger wrote:
Catshooter wrote:You mean after the six years of shortages that we're still not done bleeding from you walked past something you needed, had the dough, the price wasn't rape with assault and you kept right on walking?

Cat

I know, I'm an idiot for walking by them....never again. Right now, I'll hold off on your offer (IT IS very much appreciated though). I may change my mind in the future and try to buy a few off of you, but like I said, as of now I don't have a way to load them anyway, so I'd hate to take some of yours.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And Malamute, I really have no good reason at all for wanting them, except I just like using heavy bullets. My intention is to take the scope my BLR currently has on it off (I didn't put it on there, it came with it), and put a peep sight on, and turn it into a short range brush gun. I'm sure for anything I would ever do the 150s would do very well, but in my mind I need 220s lol

- Winston Churchill
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

I used to use 220 Core-Lokts for the short time I hunted with an '06 in AK. Malamute was right about why. This past year I sent my last boxes back to AK to a Forum member there.

We have a LGS in the next town that has had a good supply of brand ammo you generally don't find at WalMart, e.g. .22 Hornets, .218 Bee, .348 Win, Remington Low Recoil, etc, at fair prices. If he has 30-06 .220 gr. Core-Lokts on the shelf do you want me to buy it for you? I'd guess it would be priced in the low to mid $20s, and you'd have to add shipping from NH to that. Send me a PM...

Also, check out MidwayUSA where the 220 gr. ammo is due in 10/11 including a rebate: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/547799 ... -box-of-20
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Well bridger, don't feel too much the idiot. Ain't a man here hasn't something just as stupid.

I too like those looooooooooooong bullets. They sure do penetrate!

Cat
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

They are the "correct" loading for most of the older 30-40's too - which is why I load them...

I do find that Lyman 200 grain round nose cast boolits are a good alternative...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!