credit card secure sleeves

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

credit card secure sleeves

Post by rossim92 »

been looking at credit card rfid protection sleeves.. Want to buy something that will hold my two cards plus my drivers license and will still fit in my wallet without the bulk.. I like the looks of a paper sleeve over a plastic holder, but some of the reviews on the paper one says they don't hold up long.. For the price and 25 to a pack, might just go the paper route. Any suggestions for something in between ?
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: credit card secure sleeves

Post by Grizz »

I switched to the aluminum wallet. Not as commodius as a real leather wallet, but have all the scannable stuff in there. Doesn't hold cash well and I use a bill clip for that.

There are leather security wallets. Here's one vender:

http://www.idstronghold.com/RFID-Blocki ... /IDSH7005/

Grizz
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

thanks, i like that one.
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

There is also a nylon, tactical type, wallet that is supposed to be secure. I don't have the info at hand but it was in either Guns or American Handgunner's most recent issue where they suggest Christmas gifts for servicemen and women.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Dumb question, but wouldn't some aluminum-foil folded up and stuck inside one of those CHEAP plastic photo/card holders on either side of the card, suffice...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote:Dumb question, but wouldn't some aluminum-foil folded up and stuck inside one of those CHEAP plastic photo/card holders on either side of the card, suffice...???

certainly, as long as the appropriate ration of duct tape is applied in the correct locations.... :lol:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I just wrap an appropriately-sized piece of household aluminum foil around my cards that have a magnetic swipe strip (my DL doesn't).

JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JHarold »

I agree that the paper sleeves won't last very long and for the bucks I would try something else.
shortly after I ordered the paper sleeves I was in a Goodwill store, and they had a whole shelf of them for very little. Color me stupid.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

What is the goal ? To keep people from reading your cards while in your pocket or just to protect the magnetic strip?

I thought the only cards that could be read were the ones with the RFID chip in them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Cash divided up among different pockets.

9mm, 1911, or .357 on hip in Simply Rugged tooled leather "sleeve".

Problem solved....

-Stretch
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

needed a wallet so I ordered the one I linked above. will see if they are useful.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

What's a credit card? To me, it's just another form of legal indentured servitude.

Cash is king around here.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

thanks Grizz, wife getting me the one you showed linked for christmas. and will get the paper sleeves ones for my relatives as a stocking stuffer.. Let me know how it works out. :P
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have two that were sent to me by AT&T Mastercard back in 1985. Carried every day since. They are starting to lose color but function just fine. They are lighter and thinner than paper.

They are made of Tyvek, which I believe is made by DuPont. If you want a free source, Fedex envelopes are made of the stuff.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Sixgun wrote:What's a credit card? To me, it's just another form of legal indentured servitude.

Cash is king around here.
What is the goal ? To keep people from reading your cards while in your pocket or just to protect the magnetic strip?

I thought the only cards that could be read were the ones with the RFID chip in them.
I believe everything with a magnetic strip can be scanned. your passport. your drivers license. your credit cards if you use them. it's a major identity theft vector.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: credit card secure sleeves UPDATE

Post by Grizz »

Billfold arrived today. Looks good. 20 tens is a little much for it, it holds it fine but loses a bit of its svelte shape. 10 tens and 5 100s would be just right. has two unseen compartments that can hold something you don't want the highway patrolman to see over your shoulder. they are trained to look, you know. with these deep card pockets there is no personally identifiable info available to the casual observer, and the scan-blocking supposably (kid's xpression) works with the wallet open.

time will tell if it's durable.

Grizz
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Dont know how effective it is but Ive put 2 strips/panels of the mylar they use to protect hard drives and other electronic gear, in both sides of my wallet. Same stuff used to shield an "Easypass".
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

I just keep my cards tucked into the built-in inside compartment of my tin-foil (actually aluminum foil) hat.
Georgia On My Mind
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Anything with a mag strip can be manually scanned with a 'skimmer', which is either a little pager size device or built into a smartphone, you swipe it just like you would for no good terminal at a gas station buying a Coke or something.

Waiters are a major user of those, which is why you shouldn't let them walk off with your card.....

RFID means it can be remotely scanned walking around. They operate off radio frequencies (the RF in RFID).
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

My advertising supplier handles a product they print our name on for handouts to customers. A paper/foil type product. The paper stands up well as it plasticky, if that is a word. Customers appreciate them. You could try vendors of this type as unprinted ones may be available. We are getting medical cards with chips!

One thing we did was to have our credit cards at a different bank from our accounts. If some thief access my cards the family business is secure.

The new touch and go payment systems concern me because no password is required. Organized crime will be all over this as well as everyone's teenagers.