bad times 357 round

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

bad times 357 round

Post by silverback57 »

I wanted to post this thread to clarify my question:

I have been giving my question more consideration. Lets just say that for conversation sake the 158 and 125 sjhp at their perspective factory loads are good to go.

What I am after is a round for a bad times scenario. One that an individual can cast and load himself. One that will function in a revolver and lever gun. One that can pull dual duty SD and hunting small to medium game. a load that will minimize leading.

In this situation I am not necessarily concerned about over penetration as I am more concerned about terminal effectiveness.

1. initial consideration would be bullet design to work with the lever gun.
2. bullet weight and hardness
3. primer sp or magnum
4. powder and charge.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 72#p632072
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: bad times 357 round

Post by Tycer »

http://www.lasc.us/RangingShotFreedomAr ... letPT2.htm

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... gun-powder

I like Lil'Gun and 2400 and H110 for 357s. Don't forget magnum primers and a solid crimp.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Iihave always loaded for the handgun first (accuracy) and adjusted sights and powder charge for the rifle...this is where the fun begins... :)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Or you could always go with an Air Rifle...

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Evanix_Co ... /2749?ab=1

These things are starting to get seriously cool...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Saeco #398 TC (truncated cone), 158grain, plain base; uses their top punch # 46521 for Lyman or RCBS lubri-sizers.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Full jacket 158 trunicated for me....good penetration and reversed a good ole puncher.
Slow them down for small game and eat up to the hole. Large game......just put it where it needs to be and keep shooting!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Don't forget the possibility of a 45 or 50 caliber firearm using SABOTS, which would mean you could load peagravel or small nuts or whatever in an emergency. Also smaller caliber real bullets.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Skeeter Skelton did a lot of work with Lyman's 358156 GC/SWC, and was well pleased with it. Molds can be hollow-pointed fairly easily nowadays. If I were to settle on this bullet, I'd get a multi-cavity mold for most of my bullets, and HP a single
cavity mold for greater ease of casting the ones for more serious use. Single-cavity Lyman blocks can often be found
on Fleabay relatively cheap. Just a thought...

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Just me, but: 148 grn. wadcutter 38 special for small game and plinking. 180 grain for hunting deer, bear, pig and human pig protection. I like things simple. 8)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

tman wrote:Just me, but: 148 grn. wadcutter 38 special for small game and plinking. 180 grain for hunting deer, bear, pig and human pig protection. I like things simple. 8)
Unless you're VERY lucky or have seriously reworked your levergun, wadcutters don't feed well.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I would stick with Unique or similar powder. Alittle goes along way. Any properly fitted 158gr hardcast bullet, any standard primers and a pot load of brass.
Simple, should fire decent out of just about anything.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

30wcf wrote:Iihave always loaded for the handgun first (accuracy) and adjusted sights and powder charge for the rifle...this is where the fun begins... :)
That's funny... I'm primarily a 'rifle' shooter first, and 'handgun' only for CCW (vs. hunting, target shooting, etc.), so what I do is the opposite...

I develop the best load for my favorite rifle, then:
  • any handguns have to just 'suffer the results', and I'll make-do (NOT for CCW handguns), and
    other (non-favorite) rifles I'll accept less-than-perfect results, most likely.

Too confusing to me to keep track of different-loads-for-different-rifles. I generally figure my 'best' rifle is the one to pamper and expect perfection from; the others will have to make-do.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:
30wcf wrote:Iihave always loaded for the handgun first (accuracy) and adjusted sights and powder charge for the rifle...this is where the fun begins... :)
That's funny... I'm primarily a 'rifle' shooter first, and 'handgun' only for CCW (vs. hunting, target shooting, etc.), so what I do is the opposite...
  • any handguns have to just 'suffer the results', and I'll make-do (NOT for CCW handguns), and

Too confusing to me to keep track of different-loads-for-different-rifles. I generally figure my 'best' rifle is the one to pamper and expect perfection from; the others will have to make-do.
I might have different loads in the same cartridge for different purposes, not because one rifle likes a particular load.

I think I'll have to check the actual differences the same 45 Colt load produces in my 4-½ Rifles chambered in .45 Colt. I have loads in BP, Clays for cowboy action and RedDot for SD. Now that I have access to a chronograph, it'll prove doubly enlightening.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

While you still are able, buy a few thousand or more 158 grain jacketed soft point bullets (bulk) from either Winchester or Remington (or others if a good deal presents itself). Obtain or save around 500 rounds of brass. Pick-up a few thousand magnum primers (match quantity of bullet supply), and about 10 pounds of Blue Dot powder (match quantity to bullets and primers - 7,000 grains = 1 lb.). Don't use this component stash except for bad times, so it will always be there when needed.

Use this load: 10 to 10.4 grains (I use 10.4 grains) of Blue Dot, seat bullet to center of crimping groove and apply good (medium heavy) crimp. You know the rest. It only takes a little Blue Dot, so a pound of powder will load a lot of rounds. The load is full power and maximum at 10.4 grains (around 1,250 fps in 6" revolver - add 300+ fps for levergun). The load will feed well in all leverguns and usually shoots well in all, including micro-groove, barrels. Up close with a revolver the bullet will expand, without fragmenting, and at distance will act like a solid. In a levergun, up close expansion is rapid, but not explosive, and will act as a solid from about 50 yards out to effective levergun range of about 150 - 175 yards (up to approximately 250 lb. critters).

Obviously, you can cast bullets, but their performance (accuracy and feeding), especially without gas checks, in a variety of guns isn't always as consistent as jacketed bullets.

If you can't find JSP, use JHP, but remember their expansion is much more rapid and fragmentation may occur at handgun ranges of less than 20 or 40 yards from a handgun or levergun, respectively (on medium skinned critters). I load rounds with both bullets, when a bullet deal presents itself.

That's my suggestion based on using the above load for over 30 years in both revolvers and leverguns.
"Take everything but the fire." Long Hair in "The Cowboys"
1894c

Post by 1894c »

AJMD429 wrote:

my problem is I qualify with a handgun every three months (handguns have become primary with me)...so my brain has been institutionally re-wired handgun first, then rifle...kind-of makes me wonder if I need therapy... :)
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I would go with a Saeco #353 or a lyman 358429 (might be too long for your revolver cylinder), or better yet, a NOE 360180 fn or their 359175rf in a plain base version. NOE also has a copy of the 358429 and the 359175rf is a close copy of the Saeco mould. NOE makes excellent moulds

Gas check if you want, or he might have a mould that will cast a mix of the bullets, so you can have plain base in the handgun and a gas check version for the higher velocities in the rifle. Lil gun or 2400 for the powder, but don't overlook the Blue Dot or Ramshots True Blue
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Wow. You can sure tell Homer's post is the voice of experience! What excellent advice.

With cast bullets you have to fit the bullet to the weapons. Hardness may, or may not help with leading. But once you've got the fit and hardness right leading shouldn't be 'minimal', it should be zero.

I use a 94 Winchester in 38-55 for levergun silhouette. A 285 grain bullet at over 1700 feet. I don't clean it during the year and at season's end it's had 500 plus rounds through it. Takes two dry patches to get the bore clean.

Good luck.

Cat
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I haven't done nothing but think about it, The Lee 155gr and 125gr RNFP's get lots of great comment over on the Cast Boolits forumn in everything from 9mm up to 358 Win. Cast from WW they will kill anything you want with a head shot. I have a 180gr RNFP Saeco and is a great bullet out of my pistols and Puma. That is reason why I haven't bought 1 of those 2 yet.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
loader
Levergunner 1.0

Post by loader »

I have settled on two loads for all my 38/357's including my Marlin and my revolvers. 38 special is Lyman 358311 158 gr. with 5 gr. of Unique, 357 Mag is Lyman 358429 168 gr with 7 gr of Unique. Both cast from ww and use standard primers. Like keeping my logistics as simple as possible.
Never take life seriously, cause there's no way of getting out of it alive.
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

some great info! I want to thank everyone. Hey is it really that important to slug the barrel and cylinder throats for a revolver?

I found some Rainer plated bullets I would be willing to trade for some hard cast plain base bullets of varying weights say 158-170-180 swc or rnfp.

this way when my hand loader gets in I can try the various weights and loads to see if they fit and function so I can go from there.

I have about 298 /158 grain FP and 100/ 158 grain RN Rainer plated to trade. I figure 50 for 50 trade.
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

silverback,

It's only important to slug if a) you want to know or b) you get leading and or poor accuracy.

Cat