Took my Marbles Tang sight apart - need help putting it back

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Snaketail
Levergunner

Took my Marbles Tang sight apart - need help putting it back

Post by Snaketail »

Long story short - I took the set screw out of my Marbles Tang Sight. All the little ball bearings came out (yes, I have them) and the spring. I'm thinking I can put them back the same way they came out: put one in, turn the elevation barrel, put another one in and so on until all 6 are back in place. Then put the set screw back in place and re-sight my rifle.

Any other suggestion? (Beside the obvious - "don't do that again!")

My original goal was to get more elevation from the sight - I top out around 75 yards, so I may have to shim the sight base.

Thanks in advance for your help.

M
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Took my Marbles Tang sight apart - need help putting it

Post by Shasta »

California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I've had mine apart and no big deal, however I remember doing it all at once with the ball bearings facing up. It was a little scary though.

As far as more elevation, how about adding an extension to the top of the shaft? There's already a thread so you can screw something in.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

After you get it back togather, just ship it back to Marbles, ask for a taller stem to be put on it, wont cost anything but shipping. Might call them and coordinate it first. Excellent company to deal with
Snaketail
Levergunner

Post by Snaketail »

I posted this question on a couple of other sites and you guys are the only ones to come up with correct, intelligent, easy to understand answers. I think I'll stick around here for a while.

Thank you very much - this is exactly what I needed to know.

Michael
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Snaketail wrote:I posted this question on a couple of other sites and you guys are the only ones to come up with correct, intelligent, easy to understand answers. I think I'll stick around here for a while.

Thank you very much - this is exactly what I needed to know.

Michael
When you care enough to ask the very best........ :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Take your time and go slow---its not rocket science.

Change the front sight to a lower one. An 1/8" shorter one will give you what you need to about 200 meters
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

Don't do that again.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Marbles is a good company. I sent them an e-mail and 3 hours later they replied.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Snaketail
Levergunner

Post by Snaketail »

PriseDeFer wrote:Don't do that again.

What he said!
Snaketail
Levergunner

Post by Snaketail »

Sixgun wrote:Take your time and go slow---its not rocket science.

Change the front sight to a lower one. An 1/8" shorter one will give you what you need to about 200 meters

I have the lowest sight possible on my rifle - still not enough for 200 yard targets. I will ask Marbles about getting a taller sight post.
I put the little balls back in and it seems to work OK (won't do that again!).
Because I'm 60 clicks up at 50 yards I don't have enough elevation for long shots. I have read that it is common for the suggested sight to be too low - I can confirm it now.
I'll see about a taller sight post and post the results.

Thanks everyone.

M
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Welcome to the best gun "sight" on the web. What part of LA? I have family in Yuma.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shasta wrote:This might help:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... f=1&t=4102
SHASTA
Don't know how I missed that post, but... excellently done Shasta!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
tom deinek
Levergunner

Post by tom deinek »

"I put the little balls back in and it seems to work OK (won't do that again!). "

Funny, even on the internet I can hear the relief in your voice now.
:)
Snaketail
Levergunner

Post by Snaketail »

JerryB wrote:Welcome to the best gun "sight" on the web. What part of LA? I have family in Yuma.
Tucson - AKA Northern Mexico. Land of the snowbirds, the high desert, very little grass but many tall saguaros.

And I used to live in Little Rock, and Dallas, and Albuquerque, and plan to retire in Corpus Christi.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Snaketail wrote: Tucson - AKA Northern Mexico. Land of the snowbirds, the high desert, very little grass but many tall saguaros.
And the Mexican food is top notch :lol:
I lived there for 17 years.... got to be too much like Phoenix though, had to get out.
Snaketail
Levergunner

Post by Snaketail »

92&94 wrote:
Snaketail wrote: Tucson - AKA Northern Mexico. Land of the snowbirds, the high desert, very little grass but many tall saguaros.
I lived there for 17 years.... got to be too much like Phoenix though, had to get out.

Being from Texas I can say with some authority that the Mexican food here is not that good. Texas is good, New Mexico is good, California is good, but Arizona seems to have missed the boat. One explanation (excuse) I heard is that they tone it down for the snow birds - 'cause the folks from up north won't eat it. We have found a place that serves New Mexico style - the hot sauce is hot and the food is good, but generally the Mexican food is not to hot/good/worth going back for.
And I undersand the part about getting too much like Phoenix, where everyone drives 75mph.
M
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Snaketail wrote:
92&94 wrote:

Being from Texas I can say with some authority that the Mexican food here is not that good. Texas is good, New Mexico is good, California is good, but Arizona seems to have missed the boat. One explanation (excuse) I heard is that they tone it down for the snow birds - 'cause the folks from up north won't eat it. We have found a place that serves New Mexico style - the hot sauce is hot and the food is good, but generally the Mexican food is not to hot/good/worth going back for.
And I undersand the part about getting too much like Phoenix, where everyone drives 75mph.
M
If hot is the standard, you just need to go find some of the working class restaurants in town - Juanito's on West Grant is a good one... there are a bunch south of downtown of course. Some of the taco trucks are great - fantastic carne asada. Ask for extra hot and you won't be able to eat it! :mrgreen: Another one to try, that is a bit more upscale is La Indita on 4th Ave. If the old lady is still cooking, that is the best food in town and very authentic (no chimichangas on that menu :lol: ) Another good one is Teresa's Mosiac on Silverbell & Grant - harder to find parking at that one though, even more so than on 4th Ave.

Heat aside, there is a distinct difference between Sonoran style and Chihuahua style, so it's not surprising to me that you might not care for the Mexican food in Tucson. I tend to like Sonoran, having grown up eating it and having spent a couple years working in Sonora and western Chihuahua after college. Meats tend to be beef rather than pork - though the Americanized menu always offers chicken too - more reliance on fresh chiles and pickled than on chile powder for seasoning.

That and the unleavened tortillas.... I think that's more of a Texas thing though, I don't remember ever getting a leavened tortilla in Mexico - the divide down there tended to be flour or corn, flour being more common in Sonora. The part of Chihuahua where I worked was up in the mountains and very, very Indian - none of the locals ever made flour tortilla's, viewing it as a luxurious city food. That may have been more of a local thing than a broad trend though, I never spent much time outside that one town in Chihuahua. Maybe they make leavened tortillas in the cities... I avoided Mexican cities, liking them even less than American cities :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

92&94 wrote:
Snaketail wrote:
92&94 wrote:
Snaketail wrote:Tucson - AKA Northern Mexico. Land of the snowbirds, the high desert, very little grass but many tall saguaros.
M
If hot is the standard, you just need to go find some of the working class restaurants in town - Juanito's on West Grant is a good one... there are a bunch south of downtown of course. Some of the taco trucks are great - fantastic carne asada. Ask for extra hot and you won't be able to eat it! :mrgreen: Another one to try, that is a bit more upscale is La Indita on 4th Ave. If the old lady is still cooking, that is the best food in town and very authentic (no chimichangas on that menu :lol: ) Another good one is Teresa's Mosiac on Silverbell & Grant - harder to find parking at that one though, even more so than on 4th Ave.
Heat aside, there is a distinct difference between Sonoran style and Chihuahua style, so it's not surprising to me that you might not care for the Mexican food in Tucson. I tend to like Sonoran, having grown up eating it and having spent a couple years working in Sonora and western Chihuahua after college. Meats tend to be beef rather than pork - though the Americanized menu always offers chicken too - more reliance on fresh chiles and pickled than on chile powder for seasoning.
That and the unleavened tortillas.... I think that's more of a Texas thing though, I don't remember ever getting a leavened tortilla in Mexico - the divide down there tended to be flour or corn, flour being more common in Sonora. The part of Chihuahua where I worked was up in the mountains and very, very Indian - none of the locals ever made flour tortilla's, viewing it as a luxurious city food. That may have been more of a local thing than a broad trend though, I never spent much time outside that one town in Chihuahua. Maybe they make leavened tortillas in the cities... I avoided Mexican cities, liking them even less than American cities :lol:
And lack of cilantro. I have to ask for it in Texas.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

Welcome to the forum. I needed some advise and came to Paco's. I learned, if it is known, then a lever gunner forum member will know. Still here. Again welcome
Snaketail
Levergunner

Post by Snaketail »

We seem to have a difference of opinion on Mexican food. In Texas we had Northern Texas style and San Antonio style. The Northern style was, as my wife says "goopy" - had a lot of cheese and sauce on it. The San Antonio style is less "goopy" and has a cleaner taste - I really like the San Antonio style best.
Last month we traveled to San Diego and found the Mexican food similar to the North Texas style - they seems to be a spice in the New Mexico and California Mexican food that is not in the Tucson variety - not cilantro, something else that I can't ID.
Thanks for the suggestions...

The tang sight - after several calls the Marbles I decided my best course of action was to replace the sight base with the "Improved" tang sight base and use the mid-range sight post. This may not be the final answer, but its the best for now.
I'm shooting a .45 Colt in a 20" Rossi 92. Every retailer recommends the "short" sight post - this is way - way to short for my rifle. They only go up 66 clicks and I have to use 60 clicks to get on a 50 yard target - the last CLA match I shot I used the bottom of the front sight to hit 200 yard rams. Hopefully changing to a mid-range sight post will improve my scores.