Bullet Molds ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Bullet Molds ?

Post by pwl44m »

I didn't want to drag out My other post any more so I am posting this here. While I was digging through the reloading stuff at My Brothers House I found 3 molds that I am not sure what they are. I brought them home and cleaned them up so I could read numbers. Does anyone know what they are off the top of Ur head.
First one is Lyman single cavity, 42198 and under that is 918. I mic at about 429 which I believe is 44 but what weight ? This mold looks new and may not have been used.
Second is Ideal single cav that mics 405. The #s are 45s and 527. This one is unusual in that it is adjustable and the sides are smooth (no lube grooves).
Third is Lyman 35891 with 479 under that. It is 2 cavity that mics at 325 with a wadcutter design.
Anybody know what these are ?
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Bullet Molds ?

Post by Griff »

#3 sounds like the 358091 is a wadcutter mold. Image

#2 sounds like a custom job for paper patch bullets... .405 would be just about right for a .40 cal BP cartridge... And being adjustable, makes it desirable.

#1 sounds like the currently cataloged 429421... A Keith Style SWC Image

Take 'em apart and compare to the current crop of Lyman molds... they've added some, dropped others and changed the numbers on just about all of them over the past 30 years since I first bought a Lyman mold!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx Griff, that Keith style may be one I can use, the others not so much. The 44 would be down the road a bit though.
Perry
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Is the adjustable on an actual bullet mold? I had one like that years ago that was for casting lead slugs to be run thru a swagging die. Normally you would cut pieces off of a coil of lead wire but this was an even cheaper way to form bullets.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

And those little numbers down below the bullet identifier? I believe those to be tracking the number of molds that particular cherry has produced. (So the higher the number the more molds that cherry has produced and the smaller will be the "dropped" diameter from what it did when brand new) Does anybody know for sure?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Perry,
The paper patch job you have...look like this?

This one is in 38-55 and I had no use for it.--Sold it for $200 and the guy was happy to get it.---6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

@ 6, Mine just looks like a regular mold with the adjuster screw on the bottom that would cast about a 1 to 1 1/4 inch slug.
@ Rusty, that thought entered My mind (there is plenty of room in there) :lol: Bullet swaging would be a whole new adventure and one that I'm likely to not get into.
I will try to get some pics this afternoon when I get Home from Church. Untill then, see Ya'll this evening. Have a Blessed Sunday wherever U are.
Perry
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Chances are the first mould is 42798, the standard 200-215 gr RNFP for the .44-40. The 35891 is pretty well self explanatory. It is a 148 gr. wadcutter for .38 Spl. or .357 Magnum. The three digit numbers stamped under the mould number are simply a matching number for the set of clocks, effectively a serial number to match the halves. If you look at the opposite side of the mould the same number should be on the other half.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Long day, drove up to Lost Lake after Church with some Families from Church. A bit more nippy up there, required a sweatshirt.
@ CBH, U are absolutely right, it is in fact a 42798 (I hate it when I caint even read My own writing) I had it written down right but when I posted it I typed 42198. So that mold shows potential.
I got pics of all 3 which I am posting. They are pretty rusty so will need a good cleaning. The wadcutter mold would be of use but I can't see needing the adjustable mold.
Perry
Here are the molds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.