GREAT SERVICE = 1911 Un-Bubba'd by Rock Island

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

GREAT SERVICE = 1911 Un-Bubba'd by Rock Island

Post by AJMD429 »

I've always thought that the Perfect American Dad (or Mom) would give each kid a 22 LR rifle upon graduating Kindergarten, a centerfire rifle (or shotgun) upon finishing Grade School, a 22 LR handgun upon finishing Junior High School, and a centerfire handgun upon graduating High School. That way, the young adult would have the start of a nice 'collection', or for that matter, a very practical "Four Gun Battery". I've come close, although 44MagHunter had to 'earn' my used Marlin 1894 when he was 13 years old, by using it to harvest Christmas Dinner; his first deer was a big buck.

So, the recent phase of this parenting was a Rock Island 1911 given to 44MagHunter for a High School Graduation present, which I chose for two reasons; first, I have the 'double-stack' version I bought in well-used condition, and it has performed flawlessly for at least 500 rounds, and secondly, you can't beat the price...!

This was around the time the Second Reign of Obummer started, and ammunition was next to impossible to find. I had told him to shoot at least 500 rounds through it before 'judging' its feeding habits, and since he loves to shoot 1911's (he could hit a 12" gong at 100 yards 5 out of 7 times with mine when he was 14 years old), I assumed he'd 'shoot it smooth' in no time. Forgotten parts of the equation: he'd rather buy bow parts than ammunition :roll: , and I was stingy enough he had to pry rounds from me one at a time. Net result, he commented that the gun "just wouldn't feed reliably", and although I'd been talking to Para Ordnance about doing an 'action job' on my double-stack Para, to see if I could get it to feed as perfectly as my double-stack Rock Island, instead of calling Rock Island (I figured maybe I'd have to speak 'Phillipine'), I decided to see if we could do a 'home gunsmithing' project and just 'polish' the ramp... [ignoring the 'warning' buzzer going off in my head] End result - after my 'delicate polishing' the gun fed worse, so I started thinking "Well, if it's that bad, I'll keep working on it - after all, I can't make it any worse..." Sometimes I underestimate my own abilities. . . :D . . . it got even worse. . . :oops: So, I had to decide:
  • a)Hand over to local Gunsmith (...but which one...)
    b)Send back to Rock Island (...definitely not a 'warranty' situation...)
    c) Salvage the parts as spares, and keep the ruined frame as an 'educational reminder'
    d) See if I can cut/grind and install a new Ramp Insert (...further displaying my skills...)
    e) Use it as a boat anchor...
I don't like to waste things, so 'e' was out; instead of admitting I'm a danger when I pick up 'gunsmithing tools', I rationalized not doing 'd' as "Well, I'm sure I could do it, but I just don't have enough time for that right now", and I already have a wall full of 'educational reminders', :oops: so it came down to 'a' or 'b'. The problem with 'a' would be the idea of having to look someone in the eye after they had seen the "ramp job" I'd done, and knowing the howls of laughter which would erupt as soon as I exited the gun shop, so - I got hold of Rock Island, and told them I had a gun I'd Bubba-smithed (I really wanted to lie and tell them a burglar broke into the house and must have done it, or that I was working on another project, and the wheel came off my grinder, bounced on the floor, and right up onto the shelf where the Rock Island happened to be sitting with the slide locked back...).

They said "Send it in, and we'll see what we can do..." with the "...worst case scenario being about $300 or so for a whole new frame.". So, after labeling it "Remote Hole Punching Machine - return for repair", I sent it off, prepared to wait several weeks, then get some bad news, and then wait several more weeks.

In just a couple weeks I get a UPS Shipping Notification, and it's from Rock Island..!. Must be bad; they probably couldn't fix it, and just gave up.

What was in the package:
  • A nice new rigid handgun case with egg-crate foam,
    The Rock Island 1911, with a New Barrel, and
    a New Magazine (really nice one), and
    the frame with a nice shiny and smooth ramp ("Total ReRamp" on the paperwork)
    a receipt saying $0.00

So....

1. It functioned flawlessly rounds for a whopping 16 rounds with a handfull of 'pocket change' mixed hardball, and various factory-loaded hollow-points in the Armscor 8-round magazine which came with it. That's all I wanted to test until I have time to sort out ammo, label magazines, take notes, measure stuff, etc... Looks promising though!

2. I will be testing this with some "top of the line" magazines I have accumulated, and when I get that done, I will post a Range Report.

3. I will be buying another Rock Island someday (I have three more kids, for one thing).

4. I will be telling others about how awesome the Customer Service is for Rock Island; I had assumed that being a 'foreign' manufacturer, there would be no way to obtain good service - I was wrong. AND it only took about two weeks...!

5. After testing with the various magazines, not only will I hopefully get an idea of the pros and cons of the various magazines, but if the pistol functions with those magazines as well as with the supplied Armscor one, I will be praising that as well.

BTW - Magazines, from left to right:
  • Armscor 8-rounder from Rock Island (top row, by gun)
    Generic 10-rounder with clamp-on light holder.
    Generic blued one with very non-tip follower.
    Generic stainless one with tippy follower.
    Eagle one with 'tape-measure spring'
    Wilson Combat 'Elite Tactical' # 500
    Tripp 'Cobra' magazine
    Ed Brown '8 Pack' magazine
    Chip McCormick 'Power Mag' magazine
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Re: GREAT SERVICE = 1911 Un-Bubba'd by Rock Island

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Wow...good deal!
kokopelli
Levergunner

Post by kokopelli »

+1 on Armscor Customer Service. I have a Citadel full size and needed a couple new parts- very quick service. They really seem to care about their product and customers.

BTW, Armscor makes RIA, Citadel, Cimarron, Taylor's, older Charles Daley, High Standard and STI's Spartan line
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I love hearing stories about great customer service. You'd think every company would do this, but very few do...
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I love hearing stories about great customer service. You'd think every company would do this, but very few do...
I like hearing stories about guys obviously smarter than me bubba-ing their stuff. :oops:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Tycer wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:I love hearing stories about great customer service. You'd think every company would do this, but very few do...
I like hearing stories about guys obviously smarter than me bubba-ing their stuff. :oops:
Well, I could post all of the times I've Bubba'd-up a firearm, but I think the overuse-of-bandwidth would get me kicked off the forum. . . :oops:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I also have some genuine horror stories,
which shall remain undocumented to protect the guilty,
IE me.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

good for them! telling them you did probably made them feel sorry for you and help you out :D . No one like to say --- Hi, my name is Bubba! :shock:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Now, the important thing; who's going to do the next action job? :P :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I have an RIA Officers length model --- it digested so many rounds without an issue while completely dry, that it got promoted to "occasional carry gun" status --- I don't shoot it dry anymore, just keep some light lube on the slide/frame interface and it keeps going and going

I don't expect it to break , no more than I shoot it, but if it does-its good to know they are a stand-up company as far as service after the sale goes
----- Doug
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Did you call and thank them? :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That's a good story Doc. Always nice to hear about great service. You always hear the horror stories but I have dealt with several manufacturers and always had good service.

I commend you for telling the "whole" story. You are a brave and honest man. :D

I myself have never done anything like that. And if I ever had I would surely admit to it. :roll: :wink:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I just wish I could convince Armscor/RIA to mate a bushinged 4.25" slide to their Officer's frame. Sadly, last time I checked their 4.25" slide is bushingless...

I like my RIA 1911 GI a lot...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

Just now finally got a chance to check this post... Thanks Armscor and thanks Dad!!!
I was getting kind of upset with the lack of a operable 1911 in my ownership. Unfortunately because of the state of communist we live in, I will not be able to have this tool and carry with me at college. I hope I can at least examine it with my hands when I drive home for a weekend.

Excellent writing skills dad! I think now I know where I get that from.
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

44magHunter wrote:I hope I can at least examine it with my hands when I drive home for a weekend.
Maybe after you cut and stack a cord or two of firewood... :D
44magHunter wrote:Excellent writing skills dad! I think now I know where I get that from.
Keep that in mind as you stay in college, and get good grades, so you can amount to something... :D

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It is good to know that RIA customer service is so good. I have never needed it for mine. The only thing my RIA doesn't like is Gold Dot loads, but I saved the remainder of that box for my Ruger Blackhawk and it put the first 2 in the same hole at 15 yards. I didn't shoot any more. That wheelgun is loaded with them and beside my bed. The RIA absolutely adores the Federal Hydra Shok bullets and will put 8 of them into the bullseye at 15 yards as fast as I can aim it and squeeze the trigger. As far as plain hardball, my RIA just plain works.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

HOPEFULLY - - - we won't have to try out their Warranty Service again, but. . .

THANKFULLY - - - when someone I won't name (but who spends all his money on Archery equipment instead of a decent holster) managed to drop his Condition-Two 1911 out of his coat pocket onto the concrete floor, and it landed on the hammer, pointing at his head, it would appear nothing broke (no bullet holes anywhere, at least).

NOW - - - we will be carefully inspecting sear and hammer for cracks, huh... :|

Hopefully another lesson learned (learned many the hard way myself :oops: ).

This gun has taught us four lessons so far:
  • 1. Dad is NOT a good enough kitchen-table 'gunsmith' to do a 1911 ramp-job.
    2. Rock Island's SERVICE is excellent and forgiving.
    3. One spends at least a few bucks on a holster.
    4. Rock Island's guns are well made, even when abused.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I sure do agree with you on the quality of the RI 1911, I have carried and shot my grandson's a lot and can't find fault with anything about it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you happen to have some leather that is of the right size, have 44MagHunter make a Yaqui slide holster for himself. They are cheap to make and pretty simple. An old worn out pair of leather boots that cannot be repaired any more are a great donor item for this project. My slide holster is U.S. Army boot leather.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote:If you happen to have some leather that is of the right size, have 44MagHunter make a Yaqui slide holster for himself. They are cheap to make and pretty simple. An old worn out pair of leather boots that cannot be repaired any more are a great donor item for this project. My slide holster is U.S. Army boot leather.
He did make this knife sheath a few years back...

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa13 ... dKnife.jpg