Here kitty kitty kitty

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Here kitty kitty kitty

Post by madman4570 »

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Here kitty kitty kitty

Post by Mescalero »

Wow!
I always thought crocs were apex predators and were not hunted by other predators.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

mescalero - the world is not that black and white. EVERYTHING is hunted by something at some point. Everything alive anyway.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Look at the video again, the croc appears to have a significant weight advantage.
The from behind neck hold also contributes..
seems to have rendered the croc........... immobil?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I believe that's a jaguar killing a black caiman
Here's another angle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBNYwxDZ_pA

Here's a tiger versus a HUGE croc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYC_R-tsrEU
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Thanks Ji,
Still seems like a lot of weight to take on, then it just swam off with it!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Mescalero wrote:Wow!
I always thought crocs were apex predators and were not hunted by other predators.
Check out this first video below Mescalero

Here is proof where the rubber meets the road. Huge Nile Crocs(bunch of them)with a kill they are feeding on.
Then the LIONS show up------basically say--(MY dinner :lol: :wink: ) and anytime they want they just go up and lay the smack down (on huge Nile crocs while eating)--are you frigin kidding me! When they say (heart of a lion)wow! and they back it up.

Check out the crocs demeanors-----like (OK----Sir's whatever you want---you be the boss) :lol: :D

I decided right there and then--(even if I could, I will not hunt one of these ultimate warriors, what a treasure)that combined with their numbers declining in last 5 decades(75%) no bullet from myself will ever strike one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYS3GbCZerY

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lZIom_yErk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA9UE93wmvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoXZxCaxLaw

You try that and--------------outcome probably would be at the very minimum????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J3NhF9vnAo

:lol: :lol: And even if a croc grabs a lion swimming in water-------------outcome(lion says oh no you don't)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4XupAQLYUs
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

That video is of a jaguar preying upon a black cayman in the Brazilian Pantanal of the Mato Grosso. Not only jaguars but also large anacondas prey on them.
Antonio
Jaguar vs. cayman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b72JbX02RSc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ywHm9dar8
About the anaconda:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzjYi6AswB4
Melanistic jaguar harvests big anaconda:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rrthi0vxdM
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Machado wrote:That video is of a jaguar preying upon a black cayman in the Brazilian Pantanal of the Mato Grosso. Not only jaguars but also large anacondas prey on them.
Antonio
Jaguar vs. cayman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b72JbX02RSc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ywHm9dar8
About the anaconda:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzjYi6AswB4
Melanistic jaguar harvests big anaconda:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rrthi0vxdM

You have got to be kidding me(that Jag ???? Oh my God)---------Warrior to the extreme(they get a pass from my bullets too) :wink:

Bears are tough----------------but for stalking/killing the big cats(lb for lb---tops)in my mind.
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Housecats, when provoked or otherwise enraged can do damage to humans or other animals seemingly outside of their size capabilities. Holds true for their larger relatives.
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Cats kill by asphyxiation; they grip the neck of prey and crush the arteries and windpipe so that the blood and air can no longer transmit oxygen to the brain. Unconsciousness soon follows, then death. All cats do this--although lions and cheetahs seem to bring down their running prey with their claws and teeth, they quickly as possible switch to the neck hold.

Cats are mostly "ambush predators," and they like to attack from behind since that is the quickest way to a neck hold. That's why we tell outdoors users--hunters, hikers, runners-- in mountain lion country to regularly look behind themselves when moving; potential prey's situational awareness of the space behind deters attack. Running alone with headphones is a VERY bad idea in 'cat country, since it tends to distract the runner from what's going on around him/her! Attacks seldom occur, but you DON'T want to be the exception.....

Next time your cat catches a rat or squirrel, watch how it handles the critter. Just like in the video, I bet.

And, yeah, they are cuddly. Until they aren't--one of the worst predators of weasels and mink, known as tough customers in their own right, is your "friendly" local alley cat.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

All the domestic cats I have been around kill in this manner.
The part of town I live in had a problem with " roof rats " some years ago.
We did not have a problem, we had an outside stray that we fed.
She killed rats that were bigger than her, because we fed her; she did not eat them.
I had to dispose of the bodies, small price to pay.
A useful critter she was.
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

If you have trouble with squirrels in your attic, an alley cat is the solution.

One interesting thing (to me, anyway) is that cats don't instinctively know how to hunt. Their momma teaches them and if they aren't taught, they will starve from inefficient hunting unless somebody feeds them while they learn. And they have to be taught how to eat game efficiently too. If they're being fed by a human, they don't bother to learn.
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

Mike Armstrong,
Jaguars usually kill by biting their prey in the head and through the brain. Jaguars have the strongest bite of all cats: 910 kgf, or twice the biting force of a fully-grown male lion. It will easily bite through the armor of a cayman. It will bite through a tortoise, kill it and crack it open. It is the symbol animal of my country and is endangered because of habitat fragmentation, mostly.
Antonio
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I truly admire the way that the big cats have been able to survive despite all that has happened. They are truly survivors. Most of their range has been taken away in all the countries that they are native to, and they still hang on. Pretty amazing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Mescalero wrote:All the domestic cats I have been around kill in this manner.
The part of town I live in had a problem with " roof rats " some years ago.
We did not have a problem, we had an outside stray that we fed.
She killed rats that were bigger than her, because we fed her; she did not eat them.
I had to dispose of the bodies, small price to pay.
A useful critter she was.
+1 Cats of all ilks seem to have it going on in this department. Even domestic-types still have a lot of their lineage that comes through. We had a half-Bobcat (actually a pair, specifically given two us by a friend who somehow had a full bob female...to be tomcats for us to keep the creepy crawlies away) complete with the face and ear tufts, big paws and spots on the chest--the rest Persian and Maine Coon mix--when we lived out in the desert east of Phoenix. We were mostly dog people but got talked into getting some help especially with the no leggeds.

Both of these brothers were great hunters, but one sadly met its end to a bigger predator (we figured) when it didn't come home one night after their evening hunt (we fed them regular cat food too but they preferred fresh jackrabbit or cottontail). They'd team hunt, the smaller one cordoning the prey off from an escape route, with the larger one usually performing the brunt of the kill. The remaining (larger) brother was the consummate hunter on his own. We'd see him regularly stalk then chase a jack at full tilt, then triangulate over a creosote on the back of the wabbit in the middle of its skidded turn. Then he'd drag this larger-than-he critter back over the desert to dine at home! He thought nothing of killing rattlers (one of the primary jobs we got them for).. One time I recall especially seeing the full "event" start to finish - with a six-foot diamondback. The cat just fearlessly toyed with it for about a fifteen or twenty minutes, tiring it out (seemed about fifty attempted strikes on snake's part) before he delvered the coup d' gras blow to the "neck." The cat just walked over afterward with a look on his face--"why aren't you still playing? Huh"--flipped the snake over belly up and walked away. The skill was amazing. Once we interruped his fun, saying ok enough is enough--we didn't want him to risk a lucky strike by the snake if we could help--and after several minutes of his play we whacked the snake with a two-by-four. The cat sat there puzzled as if to say "hey, I had it - I had it!"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Interestingly enough, of all the Big Cats, the Cheetah is the easiest to domesticate (and domesticates quite well, unlike most genus panthera...). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... d-pet.html

It was even used in the early middle ages for coursing much like hounds. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheetah

I'd love to have one.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Oh... and as for "here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty..."

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Amazing videos, you can really see the cats' definite advantages in height and agility. Notice how those lions on the Nile don't get very deep in the water? They probably know better! In the first one, the jaguar goes right in for the head bite! Never would have guessed they hunted caymans without seeing the vid.

No surprise really, that Homo sapiens came up with knives and guns :mrgreen:
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Here is a cat-buffalo battle. And just when you think the outcome is apparent, things change, and then change again and again.

Oh yeah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I remember seeing a video years ago. A tiger was mad because a croc had taken it's kill. Paced back and forth on the shore for several minutes, then appeared to be going back into the jungle. Actually, it just wanted room to build up speed. It took off straight at the croc. Ran for 20 feet or so - looked like it was on top of the water. The croc left the kill immediately and the tiger swam with it back to shore.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Mike Armstrong wrote:If you have trouble with squirrels in your attic, an alley cat is the solution.

One interesting thing (to me, anyway) is that cats don't instinctively know how to hunt. Their momma teaches them and if they aren't taught, they will starve from inefficient hunting unless somebody feeds them while they learn. And they have to be taught how to eat game efficiently too. If they're being fed by a human, they don't bother to learn.

Back in 1976(October) while staying for a week at Watkins Glen International Race Track(the whole week with my buddy, The Formula One World Championship Race) camping in my 2 man nylon tent located at the track in a wooded section within the track called the (The Bog)with a group of bikers I met there 3 hrs after setting up my tent they pulled in(called themselves the Geneva Horny Heathens)which they ended up making me an honorary member(thanks Pete and Curly) :wink: Gave me a shirt too.

The one dude had a (pet)Jaguar-----He had a psychedelic painted motor home(everyone else had bikes)
He would bring out that Jag(on a leash)and let it lay around at the campfire while we drank some brews.(and did whatever else :shock: )
Not me of course!
It weighed 275lbs and I sat right beside it and petted it. :lol: It paws were huge and its body felt like iron.
I can tell you(cause I remember to this day)it's front canines were as big around and long as my index finger.(and I have good sized hands)it would hum! This loud humming sound really weird . The guy would give it mild tranquilizers when being around people :roll:

What a cool time. Had a Pit Pass and back in that time you could drive your car around the track(the first two days of week,Mon/Tues)in the morning and also walk it. Remember walking it drinking fresh made coffee out of a tin can/sterno burner at 8am thinking this is heaven!

Actually gave a racer (Jean-Pierre Jarier.) a ride in our car (new maroon 1976 S3 Laguna)back to the Pits in his race suit. :lol:

Remember when leaving that week (after race etc.)I left with the Heathens and the dude directing traffic coming out of the track seemed drunk/high etc. When the psychedelic motor home(was in front of our car and bikers in the back)it pulled up to the guy directing traffic and that Jag was partially hanging out the side window and lovingly did a love swipe at him. The guy acted like he seen a ghost stumbled to the curbside at sat down with his head in his hands! :lol:

Priceless!

Bottom line------what an absolute beautiful animal that animal was! Its coat(OMG would just shimmer)
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Well,
It is refreshing to see I am not the only forum member with a less than sterling past.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

:lol:

Actually, Not saying I was a perfect little angle for sure in those younger years. One thing(never a doper,ever not even weed)beer/little whiskey/chewed tobacco back in the day(older baseball years)But no Dope! (any kind)

The reason they made me a honorary member was while we were sitting at the campfire (I was pounding some Piel's real drafts)a top member of theirs was plinking people coming in and out of the portable bathrooms with a pellet gun yelling to the women (pull up your shirt and show those %#&**^%$ or else your getting wacked.

It took me about seeing one wack and I told Curly(that dude wacks another lady)-----I'm gonna put the hurt on him!(gang or not) :twisted: he looked at me, smiled and said(I like you)told the dude to knock it off.

If you want to push my buttons there are five quick ways------be in a 18 wheeler and tailgate me, be hostile to a women, call me a #OB,(cause she ain't one) kick my dog, have a couple dudes think "their bad a## together" and intimidate gang up on one single person!

Just the way I be wired! :wink:

Example---few years back at a restaurant/bar which has music(bands)my brother/wife/my wife/myself sitting at a table eating dinner.
There is a dance floor/and a side area people stand and watch the band play(and then the table area where people eat dinner.

Theses 3 guys walk up and stand with their a##es right in front of my brother and his wife blocking any view and their a##es almost touching the table edge. My brother(not small,6'1" about 185lbs no wimp by any standard)says excuse me could you guys please move some so we could also see the band ??? All three looked at him and one snickered and they did not move.

(flip switch time)good ole Madman gets up walks over to Mr. snicker man (dials into his pupils)and says "move them a##es your I will be moving them pronto, kapesh" They looked at each other (I said wanna party outside) :twisted:
They moved them a##es!
Last edited by madman4570 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I never got into the dope thing either, maybe because my job precluded it, but I never hung with what I am told are my " peers ".
Someday talk me into telling about the last time I went to a meeting of my professional society :roll: :roll: :?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Mescalero wrote:I never got into the dope thing either, maybe because my job precluded it, but I never hung with what I am told are my " peers ".
Someday talk me into telling about the last time I went to a meeting of my professional society :roll: :roll: :?
Give it to me bro ???????????
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Halloween alert - Beware of Cats on the loose!!!!!! :o This one was recently spotted and photographed on this trail cam in So Cal, likely a blank panther.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Where is this trail cam set up at?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Claw me please! :mrgreen:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mescy - where the big cats prowl :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Oh, you dog you!!!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

She is right here (local) if you would like to take a stroll by the "trail cam" --- actually that is the currently popular "selfie".

Quite the stir on her last visit - but I don't think you were here then - you may recognize the technique - quite popular with the younger set.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Oh yes, the technique.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Bless her heart-----and she is wearing a nice safe color that shows well in the woods! Surely can't miss her strolling by!
Though looking like a fox-----------------foxes aren't pink! :wink: