Winnie Model 70's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Winnie Model 70's

Post by Bridger »

I know how to tell Pre-64 and Post 64 Model 94's apart by just looking at them, but is there a sure fire way with Model 70's to know by just seeing a picture of one? My broke college student self is in no position at the moment to buy another gun lol, but a Model 70 is definitely on my short list and i was looking at a few online when I realized I have no way to determine if it is pre or post. With a 94 I look for the screw on the bottom side and screws instead of pins in the receiver, but the only thing I know about Model 70s is that it seemed like something about the safety changed at some point, but I don't remember what. Any tips?
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winnie Model 70's

Post by wolfdog »

Pre 64 is controled round feed. Has big non rotating Mauser type extractor on right side of bolt.Right side of post 64 bolt is just round, usually jeweled.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

There have been several changes to the Model 70 over the years. Some post 64's are controlled round feed as well. The easiest way to tell is by the serial number. You'd think anyone selling a pre 64 would list it as such to obtain a higher price, but just ask for the serial number or at least the first several digits to be 100% certain of the date of manufacture.
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

JB wrote:There have been several changes to the Model 70 over the years. Some post 64's are controlled round feed as well. The easiest way to tell is by the serial number. You'd think anyone selling a pre 64 would list it as such to obtain a higher price, but just ask for the serial number or at least the first several digits to be 100% certain of the date of manufacture.
Yes. Also, the pre-64's have a swell in the barrel where the rear sight is mounted, the post-64's don't.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Washita wrote:
Also, the pre-64's have a swell in the barrel where the rear sight is mounted, the post-64's don't.

Not really - the pre-64 featherweights don't have the bbl swell, and IIRC neither do the HB target models.

The last 1963 Model 70 had serial number 580,471 - so all pre-64's will be lower than that.

Post-64 Model 70's Serial numbers were supposed to have started at 700,000 when the new model was introduced in1964 - However a few have been noticed at numbers below that established guideline.

Starting in 1969, up to 1991, they had a G prefix before the SN.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Has to look old with controlled round feed.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

The bolt handle knob is hollow on most pre-64's. I don't know if all were hollow. Look for a hole in the end of the bolt handle.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Marc wrote:The bolt handle knob is hollow on most pre-64's. I don't know if all were hollow. Look for a hole in the end of the bolt handle.
I believe most had solid knobs.