Alternatives to gas checks?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jamesgpobog
Levergunner

Alternatives to gas checks?

Post by jamesgpobog »

Will using a card or fiber wad behind a cast .357 bullet work to prevent leading and allow higher velocities?

And are jacketed hollowpoints viable in tube mags, or is it strictly wide meplat cast/jacketed solids?
Si vis pacem para bellum
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Alternatives to gas checks?

Post by Tycer »

How fast do you want to go? If the bullet fits and you stay below 1800 you don't need anything but good lube. Yes, a card or wad can make up for a bit of poor fit. Try milk jug plastic.

JHPs will work fine so long as the tip is larger than a small pistol primer.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jamesgpobog
Levergunner

Post by jamesgpobog »

Tycer wrote:How fast do you want to go? If the bullet fits and you stay below 1800 you don't need anything but good lube. Yes, a card or wad can make up for a bit of poor fit. Try milk jug plastic.

JHPs will work fine so long as the tip is larger than a small pistol primer.
Speed, not really sure yet. I'm trying to settle on a bullet style/weight or two the gun will like, the most readily available seem to be 158/160gr FP's, but I'd also like to have some good 125/130gr at stiff velocities, and a real heavyweight slug (180-200gr) but for Rossi's twist, those need to be driven hard too.
Si vis pacem para bellum
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Have you considered paper patching?
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Best way to tell if that'll work is to try it.

Cat
jamesgpobog
Levergunner

Post by jamesgpobog »

92&94 wrote:Have you considered paper patching?
Don't know much about it, seems like a PITA...
Si vis pacem para bellum
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jamesgpobog wrote:
92&94 wrote:Have you considered paper patching?
Don't know much about it, seems like a PITA...
Actually from what little I've seen it isn't all that hard to do, but I don't know much about it.

Maybe someone will post up a 'tutorial' on it.

I did find a couple articles, though:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

yea, lots of stuff will work but unless your retired or homebound in some way, its hard to beat the gas check for "easability".

Gas checks are still cheap compared to what we all spend on car insurance, real estate taxes, and health ins.-----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
To add one more possibility. There are available gas checks for plain base bullets. Gator and some other "custom" check makers sell them.
I assume this is a lever gun ?? If a 180-200 grainer in caliber .358 at 1750 fps will not do the job then you need to step up to a caliber 45 Colt and tackle most any critter out there.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
mike@nds
Levergunner

Post by mike@nds »

There some guys powder coating their lead bullets for use in suppressed 300 Blackouts.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ng-Boolits
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Some fellers even load a bit of cream of wheat (COW) over the powder as a bullet base protector...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

mikld, I am going to try that Cream of Wheat idea. I have some 350 grain bullets for my .45-70 that have a beveled base and for some reason they are getting blow-by and the accuracy is about 5 inches at 50 yards. I am using IMR 30-31 in the rounds and the book value says it should be about 1500 fps. They are the only beveled base lead bullets I have ever used and they are not acting right. 86er saw the way they have a lot of gas blowing out at the 7 o'clock position from the barrel. It only occurs with those lead bullets. Next will be taking an empty brass and using it to cut paper milk cartons into wads. I have used plain flat base lead and no problems at all.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Piller,
Cream of wheat will eat up case capacity and raise pressure. Use plastic milk jug and glue it to the base. It will expand and seal better than the paper.
Kind regards,
Tycer
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

BigSky56 wrote:Plain base checks. danny
Hmmm.... now those look interesting, danny. Looks like he has them in 10mm, too. I'm gonna have to give those a try and heat up the old 38-40 to a downright modern velocity (QuickLoad says 2200 fps with 175 grain bullet should be quite doable).
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
jamesgpobog
Levergunner

Post by jamesgpobog »

Here's what my brain gives me about gluing wads on the bullet base...

1. Drill an appropriate size hole in a 2x4, close to bullet/wad size, but not too tight, must not be a press fit.

2. With a wad punch, cut a number of wads, let them stack up in the punch.

3. When the punch is full, with a piece of coat hanger, push the cut wads into the hole in the 2x4.

4. Take each bullet, dab glue (what kind? Super? White?) on the base, tap bullet into the hole to pick up wad.

5. Set aside to dry? Or load?
Si vis pacem para bellum
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

It's white glue. or PVA.
It's not milk jugs, those are HDPE, it's meat trays LDPE. The ones that are about a 1/16" or .060" thick. Where is w30wcf to slap me around when I need him. He's the one who's done some testing on this.
Kind regards,
Tycer
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

piller wrote:mikld, I am going to try that Cream of Wheat idea. I have some 350 grain bullets for my .45-70 that have a beveled base and for some reason they are getting blow-by and the accuracy is about 5 inches at 50 yards. I am using IMR 30-31 in the rounds and the book value says it should be about 1500 fps. They are the only beveled base lead bullets I have ever used and they are not acting right. 86er saw the way they have a lot of gas blowing out at the 7 o'clock position from the barrel. It only occurs with those lead bullets. Next will be taking an empty brass and using it to cut paper milk cartons into wads. I have used plain flat base lead and no problems at all.
I have been using Laser-Cast 300,350 and 405gr BB bullets. I was worried about that. I used 2400 with the starting loads got soot on the cases but no blow by and 100 yard accuracy was 1 1/2 to 2". When I got to medium loads and above the soot stopped. I have also used Unique and HS7 to push the 350gr bullets at 1100fps with no problems. The bullets mic .458. Have you slugged your bore? Paco wrote about using the styrofoam also from meat packages. He also used foam packing "peanuts" to protect the base. Hope you get it figured out, and let us know what solved it. 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

I started using 1/4" poly fiber wads in a couple of my .38-55 and .45-70 loads and in addition to eating up some excess case volume, they seem to do a nice job in preventing leading.

I just use 1/4" thick polyester quilt batting from a craft or sewing store and cut it in 5/8" squares for the .45-70 and 1/2" squares for the .38-55.They are them just pressed in the case on top of the powder with the eraser end of a pencil.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Just use a card wad from a waxed paper carton, like those used from ½ gal milk jugs or "½-&-½" cartons. Drop by a Tandy Leather and pick up a ½" hammer powered punch and start whackin' away! I use them in my 45Colt and .45-70BP rounds.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jamesgpobog
Levergunner

Post by jamesgpobog »

Griff wrote:Just use a card wad from a waxed paper carton, like those used from ½ gal milk jugs or "½-&-½" cartons. Drop by a Tandy Leather and pick up a ½" hammer powered punch and start whackin' away! I use them in my 45Colt and .45-70BP rounds.
Except I'm using .357 mag. Would a 3/8 punch (.375)be OK for that?
Si vis pacem para bellum
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

A little big.
jamesgpobog
Levergunner

Post by jamesgpobog »

Mescalero wrote:A little big.
Well heck. That ups the $'s.
Si vis pacem para bellum
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

I have used a .06" thick poly disc under a 150 gr. plain based bullet in the .30-30 to achieve 2,000 f.p.s. with good accuracy.
The poly disc works very good as a gas check. :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian