How much to pay for Lead ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

How much to pay for Lead ?

Post by pwl44m »

I checked a couple tire shops today with no luck. One shop said they reuse the weights (which is illegal), a couple more said check back in a week or so. Then I went to a scrap yard and they had 75 lbs of soft lead (I think it was phone couplings) bunch of small wires inside. They pay .08 cents per pound and wanted .18 cents if I wanted it. Put it on the scales and it came to about $13 so I bought it. Got it home and melted it down and came out with exactly 75 lbs of ingots plus I have the copper to recycle.
So if You are going to buy Lead how much would U pay ?
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: How much to pay for Lead ?

Post by Hawkeye2 »

As little as possible but I would but a truckload at the price you paid specially if it was dead soft.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

It was dead soft, not really what I want but it is Lead and I have some type to harden with if need be. I mentioned wheel weights to the guy and He showed Me a box of weights. I think they were all zinc and steel - no thanks. We have a couple bigger scrap yards local so I will have to check them out.
Perry
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Being that you are in the land of ecoweenies, your odds of finding lead alloy WW are pretty slim. I think you did prtty well with what you got for the price you got it.

See if you can find any old newspaper operations that might still have some linotype pigs laying around. I just picked up about 30lbs that way.

You could also look at picking up the Zinc WWs and casting them into diving/fishing/keel weights... that you then trade for their Lead counterparts...

As for the rest? We may be looking at modifying our castibg habits and trying to load zinc.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Last track I had the scrap yard was paying $0.55 per pound. That was a few years back so I'll bet is a bunch more now. You can control the hardness/alloy with 50/50 solder if you can find it. I think Walters, (as in wads) sells pure Tin that would be ideal for alloying.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Perry,
You done good, but unless you have tin to mix with it, its near worthless. Go out and snag a few empty beer kegs, they have a mess of tin inside of them.

Personally, I can't ever remember paying for any lead. I have paid for tin and linotype, but even that was not much. A couple of times a year I will come home from work and there will be a couple of hundred pounds of wheelweights near the garage. I got some good buds and I will take care of their needs.

I get firewood the same way.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

18 cents a pound :o You better ride that train till you have no room left in a 3 car garage to park in. You should buy them pizza and their choice of beverage on top of it once a month or so. :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I looked on the Roto metals website not long ago and saw that they offer free shipping on orders over $100. that sounds like a big saving to me.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

3leggedturtle wrote:18 cents a pound :o You better ride that train till you have no room left in a 3 car garage to park in. You should buy them pizza and their choice of beverage on top of it once a month or so. :mrgreen:
But I only have a 2 car garage and it is half full of tools. But I can find corners that need filled.
It was kinda funny, when the Gal first weighed it up she told me 6 dollars and change and I could have left then but got to talking to one of the Guys there about some lead He had at home. Then when I started to leave they hollered at Me and said I owe another 7 dollars. Seems the Gal charged Me what They pay for it. :lol: Oh well still cheap.
Does anybody know when type set was phased out ? Our Newspaper isn't new but I don't know what they use now.
Perry
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

You got a very good price on that lead. :mrgreen:
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I am going to make periodic checks with them hoping for maybe some wheel weights or some other hard lead.
Perry