H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic

Post by msmith1228 »

Do any you guys have experience with the H&R buffalo Classic 45-70 rifle? It looks like cheap fun but could be the most brutal thing I've ever owned. I have no idea.
Mack
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic

Post by Lefty Dude »

Some Buffs are very accurate. This piece is very popular with Long range CASS/SASS shooters.
I own one in 38-55.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I bought one when they were first introduced - as the Wesson & Richardson 1871 Buffalo Classic - when they were issued w/o sights.

It was a very attractive rifle, with very nice case colors & checkered walnut stocks.

I mounted a Lyman globe front sight up front, with a Williams WGRS peep sight in the D/T'd holes atop the rear end of the bbl.

I found the 32" bbl a bit long for expediant hunting ( aka: akward handling); yet a bit light for heavy .45-70 loads.

I found the recoil acceptable, as long as I kept boolit weight to 300-350grains - but will heartily suggest adding some weight in the stock, under the buttplate, if you want to shoot heavy boolits & @ long range.

In the end, since I'm not a long-range type of guy, I sold off the .45-70 bbl, and mounted a 20ga rifled bbl from a NEF Pardner II (Tracker ?), and had a nice-looking slug gun for deer. (I sold the NEF receiver & stocks to a funshow parts vendor to defray my overall cost).

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Take a look here http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/

Everything you wanted to know about H&Rs. For the money they are actually fine guns. Strong enough that some have reamed them out to .45-120.

Don't get started with them unless you are strong. They grow on you like a sickness.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

msmith1228 wrote:Do any you guys have experience with the H&R buffalo Classic 45-70 rifle? It looks like cheap fun but could be the most brutal thing I've ever owned. I have no idea.
Mack
I have one and shoot my stock standard 525gr load in it. Doesn't kick much for me. My son shoots it fine and he weighs about half what I do. I did add some round balls to the cavernous butt stock socket hole.

It's a fun gun.

Grizz

PS I think Blaine shot it, maybe he can chime in.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I had one in 45-70 & liked it, I also shot the heck out of it, with a heavy bullet & lots of
powder it did recoil pretty well, I sold it to a guy who shoots black powder & round balls
& he loves the gun

ollogger
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:
msmith1228 wrote:Do any you guys have experience with the H&R buffalo Classic 45-70 rifle? It looks like cheap fun but could be the most brutal thing I've ever owned. I have no idea.
Mack
I have one and shoot my stock standard 525gr load in it. Doesn't kick much for me. My son shoots it fine and he weighs about half what I do. I did add some round balls to the cavernous butt stock socket hole.

It's a fun gun.

Grizz

PS I think Blaine shot it, maybe he can chime in.
Strangely enough, The Grizz 525 didn't kick all that bad in anything I shot it out of. Including my 10" BFR....(man, I wish I had that back :( )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

Hey guys, thanks for the info and advice. I think I'll order one next month.
Mack