FS---PA.---Manual Wood Splitting Tools

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

FS---PA.---Manual Wood Splitting Tools

Post by Sixgun »

No, no, no, relax moderators. Just a joke to spice things up around here! Ain't nothin' for sale.........well, on second thought, this ain't no museum so Ben Franklins talk. :D

I have been manually splitting wood for 32 years. I split 4 cords a year, and that's not the sissy western pine that you can split with a razor blade, this is the real deal north eastern white oak, red oak, shag bark hickory, wild cherry, locust, ash, all kinds of maple, and of course, (if you know how to burn it) poplar. Much of this hard wood is stringy and when you get to knots, well, you better know how to do it.

Although I am a factory worker and therefore far from rich, it's not a question of money to buy a splitter. I call it forced exercise during the winter as I split as I use it and this is because as the weather changes, so does the size of the wood I split.

I'm 59 and have had enough. I am just hoping my 175 pounds does not blossom to 200 or more.

It's a long story so I'll save you the boredom of hearing it but a fellow worker bought this 2 years ago and as he had limited space at home, he shared this splitter with another guy down the road from me.

Both of these guys drink a LOT, and one day they went to fisticuffs over something stupid and the other guy told my bud to get it off his property.

That's where I come in. The Good Lord has always blessed me with excellent timing in most endeavors in life.

Between my bud and the other guy, they split around 15 cords of wood with it. He told me he paid $2,400 plus shipping and that I could have it for 15 Ben Franklins.

The new toy is a 42 ton with a 13 horsepower motor. Yea, much more than I need but I always did like buying the best you could afford, maintain it, and it will last you for life.-------6

Old tools of the trade

New tool of the trade. This splitter works both horizontal and vertical. :D Vertical is the way to go!

13 horse engine

This also has a 4 way splitter attachment, which I have been using. It will cut through wood like a hot knife through butter. It's really nice when I am splitting poplar for starter wood. With the 4 way splitter, I can have a wheelbarrow of kindling in a flash. (No pun intended) :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: FS---PA.---Manual Wood Splitting Tools

Post by Mescalero »

It does make it easier, I can wear myself out doing it manually.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Looks like you got a great deal Jack. Hard to pass that up. We don't really need the fireplace that much in Texas, but my wife really likes to light a fire whenever it is feasible. I cut a cord to two cords a year and we might burn most of it if enough cold days give the opportunity. I like to use an old heavy axe that my Dad gave me, made in 1970. I use a heavy wood platform to rest the logs on and split them in half first. Then I will take all the halves and split them again. The axe is heavy enough to get the job done even when it starts to dull. It is tough work, but I enjoy it. I can usually keep at it for almost an hour at once if I pace myself and I am not too hot or cold. I always thought about using a splitter but I guess the tradition of using that axe has something to do with my willingness to swing it to exhaustion. If I ever lose or break that axe I may be in the market for the easy way out.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I bought one of those a year or so ago ever since I torn my left rotator cuff and why don't you take a wild guess how I tore it?

Mainehunter :roll:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I swung a 8 pound splitter for years. To heck with that, I have gas logs now :lol: That is one dandy splitter, though. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice splitter 6 8)
Now do as I did with mine and put a couple shelves on the sides to catch those big haves that fall off and weld on an extra four inches too the wedge so it reaches through better. :)

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I've chopped a bit in my time so i appreciate the use of a splitter! Splitting those hardwoods sounds more like Siberian labour camp duties than exercise. My time was with Alberta spruce, pine, and poplar. It splits easy but you sure do have to chop large piles of the stuff for a short fire.

I voted for a gas fireplace with a switch and electric heat box. I haven't shovelled it in 10 years. I do burn wood in the yard for a whimpy campfire like experience for the girls. I actually buy a little bundle of birch from the gas station! Oh my, I've become such a tenderfoot!!!!!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Hmmm, now to find a stout teenager to run it for you and stack the wood. Nothing like having the right tools for the job. :D
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

careful! that's how my brother lost two fingers on his right hand! With a log splitter. As far as some of your old tools in the picture , if you don't want it, I will take the one standing upright on a log in the background. I can swing that all day! :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I used to have to split 2-3 cords, of oak, per year. I always used a gas splitter. I never minded cutting and splitting, but just dreaded stacking. It always seemed that stacking took longer than cutting and splitting combined.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
mark08
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark08 »

As always, work smarter not harder. You will enjoy this more than you think. Good buy too.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Funny thing, I am not overly happy with this splitter. My whole life I have been very active and do pride myself a bit in being in shape for my age. I can still keep up with the younguns climbing the mountains here and in Colorado while hunting. I can work all day doing physical stuff like digging ditches, mending fences, whatever. My dad was the same way and I never would have thought of getting into a tussle with him up to the day he died at 79.

I believe you should never let your life get too easy.

When doing physical work and accomplishing something at the same time, to me, it is very relaxing. Going to the gym is for yuppies. Working up a sweat with no thinking involved is good for the soul. I can split wood and stack it, cut grass/yard work, dig ditches, build things, and even rotate tires and when I'm done, I feel good. To hell with computers, watching TV, talking on the phone, and other things that guys who wear suits and ties do.

And Pitchy, THAT is an excellent addition to the splitter! :D That's real common sense at work.

Leverguns.com is the only forum I play...........that's all of the computer thing I can handle.

The jury is going to be out for some time on this log splitter thing. I ain't sellin' the old tools.......yet :D ---6

Oh , the 71 in the background. Today was the first day of buck season here in Pa. I don't hunt deer much anymore but I still take this week off and the 71 made me feel like I was in the mountains......and maybe......just maybe.....someone might push a 12 pointer past me while I'm splitting wood.

Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

split the same every freaking day. My brother and I went off to college and suddenly Dad had a new hydro log splitter. Go figure.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Ha. I never used to split anything. My firebox was HUGE! I just quit using the fireplace because of the mess I brought in the house (bugs, bark) and I got tired of poison oak and mashed thumbs. Around here the cold season is much shorter than the hot season, so I actually save money by capping the fireplace. The flue and the Jenn-Aire downdraft stove used to feed off of each other.

Nice new tool. I have plenty of dead trees after several years of drought....come and get 'em :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I can use a splitting maul and an axe, but I have a pellet stove. My Dad taught me to use an axe when I was young. Back in the Army we used to have to cut small trees to top our foxholes with. In my platoon, another soldier named Darren and I were the only two who could use an axe and get any work done. If I had a place to cut the wood, and didn't have the fireplace taken up by the pellet stove, I would be willing to make a few fires at home. Splitting the wood is more fun if you don't have to do it other than for a few fires for the enjoyment of it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Sixgun,
Nice.......BUT.......they didn't have that new fangled contraption back in the 1800's!

That being said, where is your Black Powder Wedge?? Most useful for splitting logs 20-30 feet long..... AND.....dates back to at least the 1800's ........ :D

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Sixgun wrote:
I believe you should never let your life get too easy.

When doing physical work and accomplishing something at the same time, to me, it is very relaxing. Going to the gym is for yuppies. Working up a sweat with no thinking involved is good for the soul. I can split wood and stack it, cut grass/yard work, dig ditches, build things, and even rotate tires and when I'm done, I feel good. To hell with computers, watching TV, talking on the phone, and other things that guys who wear suits and ties do.
I couldn't agree more. I cut and split wood all winter if the snow holds off. It keeps me in shape and saves on the heating bill, (it heats twice ya know ). I do all my cutting and splitting in the woods. Cut a little , split a little, take a break and watch nature or walk a deer trail. Great for the soul. Of course I always have a gun on me in the woods.

My brother has a splitter like yours and it works great. But they are hard on the back also , spend most of the time bent over moving wood.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I burn propane!!!!!!!!!
nice splitter ya got, you need to bye a pick to set the blocks up so ya aint bending & twisting
so much, that's what always got me, id even use it when splitting by hand
bought my wife Boots
a log splitter when we lived in Wis. she would sell bout a 100 full
cord a year, she was quite the Lumber Jill

ollogger
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Sixgun wrote:...it's not a question of money to buy a splitter. I call it forced exercise during the winter as I split as I use it and this is because as the weather changes, so does the size of the wood I split.

I'm 59 and have had enough. I am just hoping my 175 pounds does not blossom to 200 or more.
Man, I can identify with that. We heat with wood too, and I'm plumb afraid to give up my splitting mauls.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well, I just weighed myself in my birthday suit ( whew! cold scale :D ) high 170's. If it climbs more than 10 lbs, the splitter is gonna get covered over.----6

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

wood is the only heat I have, burn lodge pole and larch I cut split and stack during the spring & summer, falls for hunting and winter is the time to get on a sled and hunt for fur. danny
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:I swung a 8 pound splitter for years. To heck with that, I have gas logs now :lol: That is one dandy splitter, though. 8)
NICE LOG SPLITTER...I'm with BlaineG, all I do it split natural gas molecules...as soon as my home super-conductor is finished I'll be going fusion...just saying... :)
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

One of my "excuses" for not having shoulder replacement surgery was that one of the things you're not supposed to do with the new shoulder is to split wood. Heck, that's one of the things I like to do. However I did almost retire my splitting maul and sledge when I got a Fiskars splitting axe. I still use the old maul occasionally, but just when I need to use the sledge to pound it through a big knot.

Yeah, an old guy like you are becoming, Six, needs to start finding nice shortcuts. I'm just not sure a log splitter is one of those, but then I am mostly splitting juniper and not those hardwoods you get to deal with.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I enjoy splitting wood the old-fashioned way but there are times when I wish I had a log splitter, some of the wood I get is rough old stuff, I prefer Ash and Birch but have to take what I can get. You certainly do not need to join a gym when you have a wood stove... :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

That's a great lookin' splitter 6. I've had one for 40 years or so that my Dad and I built. I've modified it by putting a quick connect on the pump and running it off the back of a tractor PTO. Always seems to me as if I get plenty of "Chain Saw Aerobics" even when using the splitter. It's my method to fell a tree, trim up the log and drag it to the splitter where I cut it into blocks.
Were's the battery for the electric starter? And I don't see a cylinder for tilting either.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

M. M. Wright wrote: Were's the battery for the electric starter? And I don't see a cylinder for tilting either.
Those two questions hit a nerve. A 13 hp engine is not easy pulling when it's cold outside.

And it's impossible to tilt it by yourself. I had to hook a strap to the bucket of the loader.

Well, I ain't fooling with it today. Today is going to be dedicated to loading ammo.---6

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Splitting wood is like plowing snow. It's a lot of fun for the first half hour. :D

I don't know anyone who's bought a splitter that didn't end up thinking it was the best money they ever spent.
Slow is just slow.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I still had my steam engines I used to cut up all the dead locust I could find and bust it up with a maul . When I got rid of the steam engines I think I had two stacked dump truck loads of wood left !

I did that back in my early to mid 20's now at 50+ I wouldn't think about it to that extreme .

Now I cut maybe half a pickup load each year to put in the fireplace if we happen to loose power for an extended period of time in the late fall or winter .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Hey Six,

Cold? You're supposed to stand on the scale, not sit on it, assuming that those 59 year old eyes can still read something on the floor while you are standing.
Frank
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Steelbanger wrote:Hey Six,

Cold? You're supposed to stand on the scale, not sit on it, assuming that those 59 year old eyes can still read something on the floor while you are standing.
Frank
Oh man! Frank, that was good. Yea, these 59 yo eyes can still read and although they are getting a little fussy with iron sights, I still have that one brown eye that's in pretty good shape. :D

I do have a hard time seeing the scale and it's not because of my eyesight, there's this huge protrusion sticking way out that blocks my view. :D (Yea, right) ---------6

GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Sixgun wrote: ...there's this huge protrusion sticking way out that blocks my view. :D (Yea, right) ---------6
Six, you are referring to your big belly blocking your view, right? :lol:
If so, I can almost relate to that. Have lost several pounds in the last year!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

ollogger wrote:I burn propane!!!!!!!!!
nice splitter ya got, you need to bye a pick to set the blocks up so ya aint bending & twisting
so much, that's what always got me, id even use it when splitting by hand
bought my wife Boots
a log splitter when we lived in Wis. she would sell bout a 100 full
cord a year, she was quite the Lumber Jill

ollogger
My goodness 100 full cord, I can't imagine that ,I do 4 or 5 a year of hardwood and think I have really done something, I even woosed out this year and bought a splitter now it's almost fun :)

---J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I'm 62 and I am really blessed that I can still go out and cut and split wood with guys half my age any day of the week.

Only thing is that they can go out and do it the next day. I have to wait about a week before I can do it again! :twisted: :lol:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I heated with wood until this winter when the ladies installed a gas heater. it can't compete with wood but it is a lot cleaner inside now.

I prefer splitting with a double-bit, but also have a monster maul like 6's, and a handful of wedges and sledges. I love splitting wood, it beats the alternative.

The useless for BTUs sitka spruce splits like a dream when it is green, and is super hard to split when it's dry, the way beach logs are dried inside. I've trapped all my wedges inside a big spruce round and had to use the chainsaw to get them out. Useless for fires though, burns like rolls of paper towels. Makes great kindling though. Sometimes it's the only thing available.

Douglas fir splits best when dry and frozen. Then when you find the seam you can make firewood of any size round.

Hemlock splits best dry and frozen also. Frozen helps.

The way I split wood isn't much work. Even with an axe there is such a thing as working smarter, letting the wood talk. I'm gonna miss that, but the AK spot is wood heat only and I expect to put in some quality splitting time whenever I get to be there.

It's good to know there are so many folks heating with wood and using their hands tools for something really useful. I'm surprised that I never got a splitter since I like hydraulics so much.

Simple pleasures of life.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I prefer Detcord... maybe not cheaper, but more efficient... and fun.

(Actually, once you get the hang of it, splitting firebox-length logs with a bit of Black isn't hard and is VERY satisfying...) :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Sixgun,
Nice log splitter! Now here's quite the log splitter.... faster than any I have seen....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bVAAx3mMKY

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

this guy might be a little bit faster from start to finish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdXzaGFkWfU
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jack,
That old splitter would be worthless for the hardwood I split. Maybe poplar, that's about it. But that one Brent posted would be nice to have around. :D ----6

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

NICE!
But it is a proven fact that hand split wood has more BTUs. IT WARMS YOU TWICE as much as when it is split on a hydraulic splitter.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”