Got a 'new' 1954 Winchester 30-30 (large photo)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Got a 'new' 1954 Winchester 30-30 (large photo)

Post by KirkD »

Fellows, just wanted to show you my new Winchester Model 94 30-30 made in 1954. I've named this carbine 'Old Savage', a good, solid name (and fellow forum member, Old Savage, doesn't mind either!). This carbine puts the bullets where I aim and it was also made the same year as I was born. It seems to be aging much better than I.

For those who might want to know more about the leather 30-30 cartridge belt slider and the Bowie and sheath, they were all made by Alan Soellner of Chisholm's Trail. The Bowie blade is Solingen steel and the grips are Sambar Stag. I really like this knife; it has become my primary wilderness and hunting knife and the carbine will be my primary wilderness gun when on remote wilderness canoe and camping trips with my wife and family. I like a knife with a long blade. One of my pet peeves in the wilderness is trying to skin a large fish with a dinky little blade, and I resist carrying a fillet knife. It's also good as a last resort if one of those nuisance Cougars too lazy to go get a deer, lands on my head.

Last edited by KirkD on Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

That there my friend - is a classic
looks good!
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

u done hit "paydirt" again.....i'd like to have one one of them only one year older (I'd also like to get it for what it sold for in '53) hahaha
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very good lookin' rifle Kirk. Nice knife and belt slides are handy items.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Very sweet, Kirk....

That rifle has some very nice looking wood too...
Semper Fi
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Kirk, you sure can find'm friend. How does it shoot? We normally get a target to view :D
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nath wrote:Kirk, you sure can find'm friend. How does it shoot? We normally get a target to view :D
Nath.
Nath, I'm still settling on a 30-30 load. Once that is done, there will be range reports for sure. Now that the snow shows signs of starting to melt, I'm going to be a busy man.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Very Nice.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Very nice outfit and rifle Kirk.

My favorite handload for the .30-30 is a 170gr FN Soft Point bullet (Winchester, Remington, or Speer) pushed by 30gr of Hodgdon's IMR-3031.
ED
Yer never too old
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Oh yes, that reminds me. How was your trip to this island and was your home burried in snow when you got back?
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nath wrote:Oh yes, that reminds me. How was your trip to this island and was your home burried in snow when you got back?
Nath.
Nath, it was buried when I left, and buried even deeper when I returned. Most of it is still here and we got another snowstorm yesterday.

My wife and I and our three younger kids had a super time in Scotland and England. I rented a car (who needs a thrill ride at the amusement park when you can rent a car with the steering wheel on the wrong side and drive down the wrong side of the road and go around roundabouts the opposite way!!) and toured a number of old castles and ancient churches. I also thoroughly enjoyed getting off the beaten track and driving down tiny, hedged-bound roads and asking local farmers for directions. Believe it or not, I even saw some wild deer near the ruins of a Roman fort in the center of England. I also saw lots of Ring-necked Pheasants. We also took a quick trip into the edge of the highlands, again on a small winding track surrounded by forest, bogs and lochs. Another highlight was getting 'Platinum Club' tickets for my son and I for the Newcastle vs Man U match. He's been a fan of Newcastle for a long time and plays on three different teams himself. 52,000 people packed in there! We were sorry to leave.
joachim slim
Levergunner 2.0

30-30

Post by joachim slim »

nice. thats the way they are supposed to look. how did ya get the leafs to fall just right for the pic. :P
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Glad you had a good time :wink:
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Boy you sure have the gift with a camera! Worth sifting through all the OT just to catch a new picture from you KurtD :D

Great looking 94, now is it a 1959 (as in the title)or 54? Sure has some nice wood.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Nice gun!..Nice pic!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Salvo You hit the nail square that time. :) .Very Nice Kirk.Jim.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

salvo wrote: Great looking 94, now is it a 1959 (as in the title)or 54? Sure has some nice wood.
By gum! I typed in the wrong year! It's a 1954. I've corrected the subject header. :oops:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice stuff. I'm beginning to think you find old people and bilk them out of their prized possessions. How do you keep find that good old stuff Kirk?
Old Law Dawg
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

Nice gun.
PERRY COUNTY OUTDOORS MAGAZINE @
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Kirk,

I just love those Win 94 Carbines. That one looks like it will do the job till you hand it down to your kids.

I need to work on new pics of my 1950 Win 94. It's two years older than me and in lots better shape.

I don't know what loads you are working on, but if you are using jacketed, try 34.5grs of Winchesters 748 powder under a 150gr bullet. It's an old load, been in the Win manuals since the early 1970s, and a bit lighter than the bullet makers load manuals call for. But for me it has been 100% consistent in hot, cold, and in between weather, and accurate in every Win 94 I've shot it in.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

You still have color in your beard, I was born in 59 and your avitar looks younger than me! :lol:
So I was thinking it must be a 59. Guess this old desert sun takes it's tole.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Same year as me.......but it looks in better shape!
:o
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

J Miller wrote: I don't know what loads you are working on, but if you are using jacketed, try 34.5grs of Winchesters 748 powder under a 150gr bullet. It's an old load, been in the Win manuals since the early 1970s, and a bit lighter than the bullet makers load manuals call for. But for me it has been 100% consistent in hot, cold, and in between weather, and accurate in every Win 94 I've shot it in.

Joe
Joe, thanks for the load info. I like to shoot a lot for cheap, so I'm using a RCBS 150 grain GC bullet over 30 grains of IMR 3031. It seems to be a very accurate load, but I may tweak it up or down just a shade to see what happens. I also have quite a few of the 170 grain cast GC bullets that I'll be experimenting with, along with some 150 grain JFP Speers.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

KirkD wrote:
J Miller wrote: I don't know what loads you are working on, but if you are using jacketed, try 34.5grs of Winchesters 748 powder under a 150gr bullet. It's an old load, been in the Win manuals since the early 1970s, and a bit lighter than the bullet makers load manuals call for. But for me it has been 100% consistent in hot, cold, and in between weather, and accurate in every Win 94 I've shot it in.

Joe
Joe, thanks for the load info. I like to shoot a lot for cheap, so I'm using a RCBS 150 grain GC bullet over 30 grains of IMR 3031. It seems to be a very accurate load, but I may tweak it up or down just a shade to see what happens. I also have quite a few of the 170 grain cast GC bullets that I'll be experimenting with, along with some 150 grain JFP Speers.
Kirk,
I've been wanting to try cast in my two 30-30s. But I'm not set up to cast right now and so I'm hesitant to buy commercial cast bullets. If I try the load you are using, I've seen it before, and it works I'll want to be able to duplicate it. So I need to find a source of bullets that will be around a while and don't cost as much as jacketed bullets do. Otherwise it's not worth the cost and effort to switch.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Very nice as usual. I never need to use camo face paint, I just look at your posts and turn forest green! :D :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice!!!

I have one that looks just like that. My Dad bought it for $75.00 in 1960 I think he told me. I'll have to get some pictures.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kirk,

Nice clean rifle with nice lines. :D Those early post war '94's are really climbin' in value.

Man! You ought to send your pictures into a magazine. They look better than anything I have ever seen and I'm old--real old--just like you. Great things happened in 1954. I'm a July baby--how 'bout you?---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sixgun wrote:Kirk,

Nice clean rifle with nice lines. :D Those early post war '94's are really climbin' in value.

Man! You ought to send your pictures into a magazine. They look better than anything I have ever seen and I'm old--real old--just like you. Great things happened in 1954. I'm a July baby--how 'bout you?---------Sixgun
Sixgun, I was born in August. This '54 carbine seems to have been made around the middle of the year .... somewhere around your and my birthday.

I am planning on a 2009 Winchester calendar. I've got enough photos now. When it is ready, I'll let the forum know, but that won't be until the fall.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Kirk,

What a coincidence. I was also born in August. We share our birthday months. Hmmmm, and we like Winchesters too. OK, 'nuf b.s., mines the 16th, what's yours?

Joe
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

J Miller wrote:Kirk,

What a coincidence. I was also born in August. We share our birthday months. Hmmmm, and we like Winchesters too. OK, 'nuf b.s., mines the 16th, what's yours?

Joe
Close .... mines the 19th.
kimwcook wrote:Nice stuff. I'm beginning to think you find old people and bilk them out of their prized possessions. How do you keep find that good old stuff Kirk?
Ha, I dream of finding an old person (even older than me) that has a few beautiful old Winnies that they wish to get rid of. So far, no such luck. I haven't been to a gun show in about 15 years. There are a few local places I check into about once per week in the hopes they might have something good. My top priority now is to find a nice Winchester Model 53 in 32-20 or a real nice Model 1892 button mag in 32-20. I've got a local dealer keeping an eye out for me.
Last edited by KirkD on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Very nice, Congrats!! :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A perfect combo and a beautiful picture as usual.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

Check out this one- It is either 1954 or 1955:

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I repeat - a perfect combo and a beautiful picture!!!!!!!!!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nice. :mrgreen:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Very tolerable, to say the least, Kirk ! :P :P :P

I wouldn't neglect the leatherwork, or the Bowie, in that view, either ! :wink:
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice :) :mrgreen: !Thanks for post'n.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

bj94, that's a great picture and that carbine is in top shape. Looks like she's enjoying using it. From this thread, it sounds like 1954 was a vintage year in more ways than one.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, that sure is a fine looking 94. It will make a great canoe and camp rifle, they have served for that up there along time. By the way you seem to be moving into the modern age of rifles coming all the way up 1954. Still looking forward to the calendar.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Pretty!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Kirk -

Now that's my idea of how to properly set a a picnic spread! (couldn't resist - that's what the background reminded me of! :wink: )

The "stuff" is starting to fall down here, but it is not snow. It is the pollen - specifically the yellow pine tree pollen. Darn near thick as snow too!!!

Glad to hear things are melting in the great white north. Looking forward to the first formal range report on that beauty!!! :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

bj94 wrote:Check out this one- It is either 1954 or 1955:

bj94 -

That is what I like to see - a beautiful young lady, holding a rifle (and you can tell {a} it's not her first time, {b} she knows what she's doing and {c} she's enjoying it), with a pocket knife in her pocket. You are raising her right! :D

Eyes and ears on too (protection) - you are a good man!!!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

JerryB wrote:Kirk, .... you seem to be moving into the modern age of rifles coming all the way up 1954.

Yep .... I'm still getting used to having a modern Winchester hanging on the wall along with its 100-year old brothers. At only 53 years old, it's hardly a babe out of diapers, at least for a Winchester. Now 53-year old me .... that's another story. Funny how between two 53 year olds, one is a old geezer and the other's hardly a babe out of diapers. :)
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Beautiful Rifle kirk, a nice addition to your Family I'm sure!
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

I'm not a huge carbine fan but that is BEAUTIFUL! A very nice rifle and nice photo.

Jeff
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Sweet lookin' shootin' iron ya got there.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Do I get to show mine again? I think I bought it new in 1957 when I was 16. I added the pad as I am big and the foolproof sight. Picture #2 is a model 64 built in 1952. I dont think it was fired when I bought it in about 1975. Since I have other mainstays I only put about a box through it.

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Very nice, Bill. I must confess to a hankerin' for a nice Model 64. I doubt I'll actually get one someday, as I'm trying to keep my Winchester collection down to just 9 guns, but I sure enjoy looking at beauties like the one you show.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nine guns? How did you come to that #?

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

simply awesome. Been looking for the right rifle made in '58. Still looking. thanks for sharing
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot