Pet Peeve Moment (headbang)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Pet Peeve Moment (headbang)

Post by Old Ironsights »

OK... so, (A) I like to cook, and (B) I cook like a professional Chef... which means "messes can be cleaned".

Unless the %^#^%#$@&%$%^$!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :!: :x who designed your kitchen CARPETED it. :roll: ImageImageImage

(Cleaning puree'd Pumpkin right now... while the Baguettes bake and the smoked turkey thaws...) :roll:

As someone who has done Architectural Specification/Research, I can more easily/sanitarily carpet a BATHROOM than I can a Kitchen.

WTH is wrong with people!?!?!?!? ImageImageImage
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Pet Peeve Moment (headbang)

Post by Bronco »

Could've seen that one commin :D
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've found it fruitless to argue with "stupid" ............ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

And U have lived how long with this carpet in the kitchen ? Furthermore how much longer will U live with said carpet in Ur kitchen ? :lol:
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

You know that can be remedied, right?
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

The house I am renting right now was "remodeled" by a former renter in leu of rent. He was going to purchase the house as well.

He removed everything (counters, walls, everything) from the kitchen/diningroom/back door area - just a big open room.

He carpeted it wall to wall with a junky carpet.

Then he built pantry walls - over the carpet. He built a big wrap-around permanent bench for the table in one corner - on top of the carpet. He built a big complex island in the middle of the room - on top of the carpet. He built counters and sink and installed a dishwasher and a trash compacter and a fridge that leaked water - all on top of the carpet!

Then he sat back, looked at all he had done and decided something was missing . . . . Oh yes! Laminate flooring! So he installed it. OVER THE CARPET!

Then he decided he did not want to purchase it after all and he left. Never paid rent. And as a parting gift, he charged the owners for all the work he had done (they had already paid for the materials). They said no way, so he put a contractor's lien against the house and they had to pay him.

The kitchen floor was laminate flooring that was squishy. You could not clean the floor or the water would go into the carpet below. When I pulled the flooring up, the carpet in the kitchen was furry with mold. What a mess.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One of the few 'legacies' I can pass on to my kids is a fair number of 'hints when you build your own house' things, which includes basically building a kitchen for 'commercial processing' instead of the namby-pamby stupid kitchens most folks have today.

One should be able to take in a dozen five-gallon-pails of tomatoes, apples, peaches, green-beans, or pears, or a couple deer or goat carcasses, and DEAL WITH THEM efficiently, effectively, and cleanly, in a REAL 'kitchen'. Screw all the party and bartender stuff. We eat meat, and vegetables, and fruits, and the purpose of a kitchen is to turn those raw materials into FOOD...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My kitchen sucks...but, not much thought went into 1975 Double Wides... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

44shooter wrote:You know that can be remedied, right?
With time & $$$, yes. I'll let you know when I have enough of each. :?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Kitchens and bathrooms, especially bathrooms should be built with pressure washers in mind. All walls, ceilings, floors and fixtures should be able to stand up to commercial detergent and a steam pressure washer. Floor drains are a given. :lol:
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

SJPrice wrote:Kitchens and bathrooms, especially bathrooms should be built with pressure washers in mind. All walls, ceilings, floors and fixtures should be able to stand up to commercial detergent and a steam pressure washer. Floor drains are a given. :lol:
totally
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Grizz wrote:
SJPrice wrote:Kitchens and bathrooms, especially bathrooms should be built with pressure washers in mind. All walls, ceilings, floors and fixtures should be able to stand up to commercial detergent and a steam pressure washer. Floor drains are a given. :lol:
totally
Oddly enough, I have actually Spec'd "residential" kitchens and baths to be able to handle that... for those very reasons.

What is more interesting is that those Specs came out at something around just under (or just over, can't remember) a 5% premium total over "Menards Quality" K&B product... and you couldn't actually tell the difference since the (totally accessible) floor drain was actually UNDER the Island...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Be sure to keep water in the p-trap for the floor drain.....Or, El-Stinko :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

BlaineG wrote:Be sure to keep water in the p-trap for the floor drain.....Or, El-Stinko :shock:
Add a little mineral oil to a drain that is seldom used. The oil sits on top of the water in the trap and keeps it from evaporating.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Old Ironsights wrote:
44shooter wrote:You know that can be remedied, right?
With time & $$$, yes. I'll let you know when I have enough of each. :?
I was just thinking of yanking the carpet and laying down cheap vinyl. Could always upgrade later. I could not deal with carpet in a kitchen. Rather see plywood.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'll (+1) this opinion, and add that there are obvious places in any household where water will hit the floor, food will be frequently dropped, and overflows of sewage or other fluid spillage might occur.

Why the HELL would any thinking person carpet either area?

:roll:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

I don't know what kind of dork would carpet under any cabinetry, but I have a carpeted kitchen. It's the kind that's specifically intended for food preparation areas. Never had trouble with it.

Buy an appropriate vacuum -- one intended for food prep / wet services areas.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

If you live in a prison!

No carpet in a kitchen or bath is a given in the real world. It's easily replaced with
1/4" luan and sheet vinyl or tile.
If I was going to go cheap and durable I'd go commercial VCT tile in two colors and
do a checkerboard pattern. Easy-Breezy!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Sorry for your grief. Some people should not remodel their house and dealing with that later is so frustrating.

When I replaced our dishwasher I found the last people put down a subfloor and flooring but not under the dishwasher. I couldn'tgetit out and the new one was too tall for the non standard cupboards! The wiring disaster was a fire trap and the plumbing used a garden hose. My kitchen floor was much higher than my hardwood surrounding it! However bubbaed houses are like bubbaed guns, a little elbow grease and care can make them outstanding.

The kitchen remodel fixed all that but when your house is 1000 sq. foot and a busy family the only industrial processing is for supper quantities! By living within the original footprint we got top notch appliances, a pretty place for Barb, and spent less than most spend for cabinets in Calgary. Nothing fancy, exactly how Barb wanted it, just lots of lights, lots of legal plugs, proper plumbing, a heat register for her toes, a big bright window overlooking the flower garden from the sink, and no carpet!!!! I know of many kitchen upgrades that topped $75,000!!!!

Did I ever earn some serious brownie points and many a tasty meal.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Canuck Bob wrote:Sorry for your grief. Some people should not remodel their house and dealing with that later is so frustrating.

When I replaced our dishwasher I found the last people put down a subfloor and flooring but not under the dishwasher. I couldn'tgetit out and the new one was too tall for the non standard cupboards! The wiring disaster was a fire trap and the plumbing used a garden hose. My kitchen floor was much higher than my hardwood surrounding it! However bubbaed houses are like bubbaed guns, a little elbow grease and care can make them outstanding.

The kitchen remodel fixed all that but when your house is 1000 sq. foot and a busy family the only industrial processing is for supper quantities! By living within the original footprint we got top notch appliances, a pretty place for Barb, and spent less than most spend for cabinets in Calgary. Nothing fancy, exactly how Barb wanted it, just lots of lights, lots of legal plugs, proper plumbing, a heat register for her toes, a big bright window overlooking the flower garden from the sink, and no carpet!!!! I know of many kitchen upgrades that topped $75,000!!!!

Did I ever earn some serious brownie points and many a tasty meal.
Sounds like Barb is a lucky lady. And obviously she is worth the effort.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Wife wants new kitchen. It is 20 years old but does have new handscraped oak floor. Actually tough floor.
i have found by accident big heavy duty solid oak big standing cuboard with 4 self levels work fantastic.
they each hold tons of stuff.

in order for this kitchen to go ahead i am insisting that on each side of our 4 x 6 ft wall pass throgh going to have one on each side of that opening a 6 x 8 ft standing cuboards. Only normal cabinets will be a 12ft front sink section and island section behind within reach standing at sink.

i am having the amish build them for 1000 each. Also having them build a huge oak picnic table style table.5 x 10 ft.

all will be dark walnut color.o
they make vinyl ceiling tiles that look like copper and go right over sheet rock.

also a keystoker cook coal stove,no electric required, she has new ss appliances last year so i am thinking 5000 bucks tops.counters will be ss and will reuse deep double ss sink and mohen ss facet bought last year.
as is looks new,but you know women.