Talkin' 'bout A Winter Stroll...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Talkin' 'bout A Winter Stroll...

Post by Griff »

I left the house Wed evening to avoid rush hour traffic across the DFW metroplex with a load of shelving for a store in Tukwila, WA. Stopped for the night in Chillicothe, TX... Just far enough to make it an easy 4 days for the rest of the trip. Planned on stopping at Watkins, Co the next night for breakfast in the newly re-opened restaurant. I love Mom & Pop places, so much better than the big chains... even if they don't have the selection... what you do get is generally more food.

Woke up to sleet. So, while the roads were still pretty good, it made for slow going. As I pulled into Watkins, it was -9ºF. As I surveyed the available parking, I noted a "pull-thru" spot, only a short walk thru the snow to the restaurant. I had to make a sharp u-turn... and as I did, the "red airline" just shattered. Broke into about 8 or 9 pieces! The "red-line" is what provides the air to the trailer for suspension and to keep the parking brakes off. So when it breaks, you just skid to a stop... and you're not going anywhere until it's fixed! Well, since the parking lot was nothing but ice and snow, dragging the trailer with only 8690 lbs in it isn't a problem... until it is! As it turns out, I wasn't lined up quite good enough to finish my turn, so... trying to back up and full up again... no go. No problem... I have a solution!

So... I jump outta the truck to get in the tool box... get a 3/8" bolt with a solid shank a pair of vice grips... What you do, is push the bolt in the rest of the line that's intact, clamp in there with the vice grips and put the application brake line on the emergency side... Then using the trailer brake hand brake in the cab, you apply air to the emergency side and release those brakes... So... I'm all set... and getting cold; as I left my jacket in the truck... knowing this was just a quick minute fix.

Famous last words. Do you know what grease does when it gets REALLY cold? If not, a clue... it thickens. And while grease on moving parts is generally considered a "good thing"... when it gets really cold, it can slow down those moving parts... some times to the point where they don't move fast enough! This is what happened to me. The operating mechanisn unlatched the door, but not the dooor unlock portion! BAD.

As I stepped up to the cab and gripped the door latch... I knew something was wrong. Very wrong. The door was LOCKED! So there I am... in the middle of the parking lot... not in a parking spot, idling, in a long-sleeved golf shirt, jeans and boots... no hat... no phone, no wallet.

A check with the truck stop mechanic yields a slim jim. But, my doors are tamper-proof, at least to that mechanic, his helper AND me. So, call a locksmith that does 24/7 call-outs. All good... they claim they can unlock anything, or no charge! Then they ask two questions... can we have your phone number in case we need to call you? Uh, no, my phone's locked in the truck...

Ok, they agree the mechanic's will do. Then, "...we need a credit card before we'll drive the 40 miles to your location..." Uh, no... my wallet's in the truck... just ou of reach at the moment. Then, "...well gee, Sir, how were you going to pay? We have to have a credit card authorization before we start any job."

Finally get someone on the line that can authorize accepting the job w/o the pre-authorized credit card and am told they'll be there in 45 minutes, how do we find you? Not hard, I'll be the guy in the restaurant who doesn't have a jacket with him and is recovering from hypothermia... a slight blue pallor...

So... the 45 minute wait for a locksmith turned into 2-½ hours. This is what happens when one relies totally on technology, and not verbal directions. Unfortunately, the restaurant closed an 1 hour & a ½ into the 45 minute wait! So, another call to locksmith's 24/7 number... to no avail, he's fallen off the face of the planet! Finally,on his way back to Denver from Limon, CO, a mere 60 miles beyond where I was, the numbnuts called the mechanic to actually listen to directions! But, at least the locksmith was good at his craft, even if he couldn't find his way out of a wet paper bag!

But, I gotta tell ya, even a LONG-sleeved golf shirt is not adequate for -9ºF weather!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Talkin' 'bout A Winter Stroll...

Post by Borregos »

Quite a tale Griff, where you gonna hide the spare key from now on????
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If ya got time call me and we'll go eat.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Lost my "blue air line". Was able to drive to shop quit a ways away. Locked keys in Int'l in 40F temps. Took 45 mins and coat hanger to get door open. Got talking on phone and violated my key in hand to lock door rule. Glad you had a warm place to go to.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Good grief, Griff! Makes for quite a story, anyway. Much more fun to "tell" than to "do", I'll bet.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Not laughing at you Griff, I'm..... no, I am actually laughing at you!! Be safe and lets do some shooting when you get back.
Ricky

DWWC
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:If ya got time call me and we'll go eat.....
You're on! Gotta get the windshield replaced... that cold and a stone chip expanded to a crack a quarter of the way across...
RKrodle wrote:Not laughing at you Griff, I'm..... no, I am actually laughing at you!! Be safe and lets do some shooting when you get back.
Just as I would be! :lol: :lol: Having survived the ordeal... I was laughtin that nite!!! And, I'll call you also!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Sounds a lot of cold.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Griff wrote:I left the house Wed evening to avoid rush hour traffic across the DFW metroplex with a load of shelving for a store in Tukwila, WA. Stopped for the night in Chillicothe, TX... Just far enough to make it an easy 4 days for the rest of the trip. Planned on stopping at Watkins, Co the next night for breakfast in the newly re-opened restaurant. I love Mom & Pop places, so much better than the big chains... even if they don't have the selection... what you do get is generally more food.

Woke up to sleet. So, while the roads were still pretty good, it made for slow going. As I pulled into Watkins, it was -9ºF. As I surveyed the available parking, I noted a "pull-thru" spot, only a short walk thru the snow to the restaurant. I had to make a sharp u-turn... and as I did, the "red airline" just shattered. Broke into about 8 or 9 pieces! The "red-line" is what provides the air to the trailer for suspension and to keep the parking brakes off. So when it breaks, you just skid to a stop... and you're not going anywhere until it's fixed! Well, since the parking lot was nothing but ice and snow, dragging the trailer with only 8690 lbs in it isn't a problem... until it is! As it turns out, I wasn't lined up quite good enough to finish my turn, so... trying to back up and full up again... no go. No problem... I have a solution!

So... I jump outta the truck to get in the tool box... get a 3/8" bolt with a solid shank a pair of vice grips... What you do, is push the bolt in the rest of the line that's intact, clamp in there with the vice grips and put the application brake line on the emergency side... Then using the trailer brake hand brake in the cab, you apply air to the emergency side and release those brakes... So... I'm all set... and getting cold; as I left my jacket in the truck... knowing this was just a quick minute fix.

Famous last words. Do you know what grease does when it gets REALLY cold? If not, a clue... it thickens. And while grease on moving parts is generally considered a "good thing"... when it gets really cold, it can slow down those moving parts... some times to the point where they don't move fast enough! This is what happened to me. The operating mechanisn unlatched the door, but not the dooor unlock portion! BAD.

As I stepped up to the cab and gripped the door latch... I knew something was wrong. Very wrong. The door was LOCKED! So there I am... in the middle of the parking lot... not in a parking spot, idling, in a long-sleeved golf shirt, jeans and boots... no hat... no phone, no wallet.

A check with the truck stop mechanic yields a slim jim. But, my doors are tamper-proof, at least to that mechanic, his helper AND me. So, call a locksmith that does 24/7 call-outs. All good... they claim they can unlock anything, or no charge! Then they ask two questions... can we have your phone number in case we need to call you? Uh, no, my phone's locked in the truck...

Ok, they agree the mechanic's will do. Then, "...we need a credit card before we'll drive the 40 miles to your location..." Uh, no... my wallet's in the truck... just ou of reach at the moment. Then, "...well gee, Sir, how were you going to pay? We have to have a credit card authorization before we start any job."

Finally get someone on the line that can authorize accepting the job w/o the pre-authorized credit card and am told they'll be there in 45 minutes, how do we find you? Not hard, I'll be the guy in the restaurant who doesn't have a jacket with him and is recovering from hypothermia... a slight blue pallor...

So... the 45 minute wait for a locksmith turned into 2-½ hours. This is what happens when one relies totally on technology, and not verbal directions. Unfortunately, the restaurant closed an 1 hour & a ½ into the 45 minute wait! So, another call to locksmith's 24/7 number... to no avail, he's fallen off the face of the planet! Finally,on his way back to Denver from Limon, CO, a mere 60 miles beyond where I was, the numbnuts called the mechanic to actually listen to directions! But, at least the locksmith was good at his craft, even if he couldn't find his way out of a wet paper bag!

But, I gotta tell ya, even a LONG-sleeved golf shirt is not adequate for -9ºF weather!

High stress situation that would make one sweat. but at -9 F Guess not?

Cool story bro, glad you and truck are OK! :wink: