Gone shootin ! - finally (caution-pic of a Glock inside)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Gone shootin ! - finally (caution-pic of a Glock inside)

Post by Streetstar »

With my recent threads being about football seats and complaints about Weatherby's ad campaigns , I figured I at least needed to throw something in here at least partially close to being on topic, --

So I went shootin! ---- the weather dictated going to an indoor range close to my house -- I had a little Glock 29 I purchased almost a year ago that has gone unfired -- this is the compact (but chunky) 10mm , I figured it would be a handful, - and I figured right , but its surprisingly controllable --- I just fired a couple of magazines through it, but its a 20 yard range, so I was happy with being able to keep the vast majority of the shots on the head portion of the b-27 target. -- more than enough accuracy for its design parameters

Curiously enough, I broke out the full size counterpart , the Glock 20, and had poor luck with it, accuracy worse than the little brother and had one stovepipe failure - kinda uncommon in a Glock --- I will hopefully rectify this with a little more trigger time though

Although I have Glocks for a purpose, I prefer wheelguns, and its much easier to police the brass , --- I'm primarily a Colt guy, but got a decent deal on this K Frame model 66 a while back, -- so figured it would have some potential usefulness sometime, but the Smith trigger feels absolutely weird compared to the Colt -- 3 range trips and its still not working for me , -- note to self, - swap those grips out for larger MAgna style grips soon also

If I thought the muzzle blast on the 10 was bad, a 4" 357 at an indoor range was a bit much after 2 wheel fulls, so I
Rounded out the day plinking at small bore competition targets with the Single Six

Nothing revolutionary, just more confirmation that if you don't use your shooting skills regularly, they can start to deteriorate-- lots of fun -- I'm taking the Single Six back there this afternoon for more I think -- I have been loading 2 empty's in the cylinder at random with 4 live rounds to practice trigger control

----- Doug
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gone shootin ! - finally (caution-pic of a Glock inside

Post by Mescalero »

Try a set of Houges,
I have them on all my revolvers.
They really fit my hand.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Notice I did not say anything about the Glock.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Mescalero wrote:Notice I did not say anything about the Glock.
Until now :lol: --- there was an old phrase comparing heavyset women and mopeds -- for a lot of people, the Glocks also fall into that category
----- Doug
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

For a minute I thought you were warning about a Clock. If I had read it closer I wouldn't have looked. :twisted: all in fun!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Being 59 I'm not any kind of an auto fan but I have come to appreciate the 10 mm cartridge. I shot that exact same gun you have last week at the gun club. My buddy, "the gunny" bought one and we were blasting away at the 7" steel plate at 100 meters.

The cartridge feels like a slightly light 41 mag, which it is.

I like the pic with the gun on the dashboard. :D ---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That's true about big girls and mopeds,
not that I have any experience, but my friend Ernie Lundquist told me so.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Great shooting Doug! :wink:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sixgun wrote:Being 59 I'm not any kind of an auto fan but I have come to appreciate the 10 mm cartridge. :D ---6
For a few years in the late 90's, S&W had the 610 revolver chambered in 10 with moon clips -- I'd like to find one of those on the rare day I have some extra scratch

I used to stay away from the autos completely until I got my first 1911, but then shot a Colt Delta back to back with the Glock 20, -- the Glock seems tailor made for the 10mm cartridge -- the polymer frame, while light, seems to dampen the recoil impulse somewhat and my 10mm's are much easier to control than the 4" Smith with full house loads --- that said, unless Glock comes out with a factory long slide version of the 10, I don't plan to add any more of the little black critters to the stable
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

madman4570 wrote:Great shooting Doug! :wink:
Thanks, but I gotta credit the pistols a bit for that -that little G-29 is a shooter for a SD pistol ! -- and I shot the .357 single action mostly

-- I intentionally didn't show the B-27 I shot at with my G-20 :x - maybe I was letting my concentration slip , but I had a tough time holding center of mass with that rascal, and with the longer sight radius, you'd think it would be easier to hit with
----- Doug
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I have always qualified better with my baby Glocks (G-26 .9mm & G-27 .40S&W), actually many I know who shoot Glocks shoot the smaller ones better...the way the grip is forced into the palm of your hand really helps (note: I do not use finger extensions on my mags, there just factory, flush with the grip)...the 10mm can be a great woods gun... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Many people shoot sub-compact Glocks better than full-size. I have seen many police officers with a lot more trigger time on full-size Glocks consistently outshoot themselves with their sub-compacts.

Does your pinky dangle?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Streetstar,
Where did you find that green grass? Everything around here, (Big Cabin), is still covered with snow and ice.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

M. M. Wright wrote:Streetstar,
Where did you find that green grass? Everything around here, (Big Cabin), is still covered with snow and ice.
Older pic, -- I didn't take any pics of the gun itself at the range, and didn't notice until I did the photobucket runaround ---- ITs still ice on the ground here in OKC area too

7.62 Precision wrote:Many people shoot sub-compact Glocks better than full-size. I have seen many police officers with a lot more trigger time on full-size Glocks consistently outshoot themselves with their sub-compacts.

Does your pinky dangle?
Pinky does dangle, but I just tuck it back up under the mag --- interesting about others shooting the little guys better as well, -- guess I'm not alone.

First time I shot my big one, I thought it was a tackdriver, -- so I just mentally blamed it on being out of practice yesterday

-- until I can master that thing's idiosyncrasies , my .357's will remain my go-to gun of choice for field walking and such though --- even though I don't get along with a Smith trigger, the 66 was accurate enough (The 'Smith has a smooth even pull all the way through and I cannot time when it is going to go bang properly yet --- The Colt's trigger's stack and I know exactly when they are gonna go bang -- about the time I expected the slight ramp-up in trigger stiffness, the Smith goes BOOM and caught me off guard a couple of times )
----- Doug
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Houges don't blow your skirt up?
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Streetstar wrote: --- even though I don't get along with a Smith trigger, the 66 was accurate enough (The 'Smith has a smooth even pull all the way through and I cannot time when it is going to go bang properly yet --- The Colt's trigger's stack and I know exactly when they are gonna go bang -- about the time I expected the slight ramp-up in trigger stiffness, the Smith goes BOOM and caught me off guard a couple of times )
Doug - over time, an hour or more of dry fire practice will cure that Smith trigger pull issue for you! You might not want to do that, however, for you may ultimately relegate your double action Colts, with their stacking trigger pull, to gun safe storage. I know mine have been so banished. :o

As for your 66's magna grips as they are now, the addition of a Tyler T Grip (made right there in OKC) would make a considerable difference for you. Kim Ahrends makes really fine looking wooden grips for that stainless beauty, ... and are very competitively priced for really nice after market grips. http://www.ahrendsgripusa.com - John
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Mescalero wrote:Houges don't blow your skirt up?
I have a pair on one of the Colts I have, but I didn't give 'em a chance -- I took 'em off and sourced some factory grips off ebay instead --- next range trip i'll throw a set on there and see -- a monogrip is a pretty low investment , and is in keeping with my wanting the 66 to be a "rough duty" field gun -- but I love the way the chunky wood grips feel , but if they're anything like the Colts, they take the better part of a hundred dollar bill for a good set
GoatGuy wrote:[
As for your 66's magna grips as they are now, the addition of a Tyler T Grip (made right there in OKC) would make a considerable difference for you. Kim Ahrends makes really fine looking wooden grips for that stainless beauty, ... and are very competitively priced for really nice after market grips. http://www.ahrendsgripusa.com - John
Thanks for the link, John , -- I erroneously said I needed some Magna grips when I meant to say I needed some Target grips -- LOL, I'll look at the Ahrends as well.

The T-grip would be a good choice if I had a smaller gun, like a 2.5 or a 3, I just thought aesthetically they looked a little odd on the full size guns though --- contemplating one for my Det. Special
----- Doug
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Doug
I have a model 66 that has the best single action trigger of any gun I have ever owned. I've taken deer with it with a cast keith load, but I don't favor it for that. I have finger groove grips on it, I forget which ones, but I like them for the traction I get when my hands are wet.

I think I'll take it out on a date next year for old tymes sake.

thanks for posting the topic. I like your compact 10, sounds like fun.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I had a Glock 36 that I loved that I stupidly gave a deal on to my Ex-Moron, EssoBee, PooCovered Son-in-Law :evil:
I've recently replaced it with a G30s which I like almost as well, but, I'll be danged if I can get it apart the (expletive deleted) spring is so hard.....I used to shoot grouse with the 36 and hardball, and the 30S shoots a little better, IMO.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Grizz wrote:Doug
I have a model 66 that has the best single action trigger of any gun I have ever owned. I've taken deer with it with a cast keith load, but I don't favor it for that. I have finger groove grips on it, I forget which ones, but I like them for the traction I get when my hands are wet.

I think I'll take it out on a date next year for old tymes sake.

thanks for posting the topic. I like your compact 10, sounds like fun.
Cool ! --- old school hard guy Richard Marcinko (founder of Seal Team 6 ) initially chose S&W 66's for his guys for the corrosion resistance and knockdown power , some of the other spec-ops units of the 80's followed , --- It would be cool to see them in use today --- the firepower difference between a 6 shot K frame and a 7 shot 1911 seems academic, -- but seeing a military guy with a revolver in 2013 might be too much culture shock
----- Doug
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Streetstar wrote:
7.62 Precision wrote:Many people shoot sub-compact Glocks better than full-size. I have seen many police officers with a lot more trigger time on full-size Glocks consistently outshoot themselves with their sub-compacts.

Does your pinky dangle?
Pinky does dangle, but I just tuck it back up under the mag --- interesting about others shooting the little guys better as well, -- guess I'm not alone.

First time I shot my big one, I thought it was a tackdriver, -- so I just mentally blamed it on being out of practice yesterday
Not certain it isn't because of the dangling pinky that a lot of people shoot them better.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have one of those in nickel with the Magna grips - really like the combo.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...