Winchester 94ae trapper 357 sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Awsomepossum
Levergunner

Winchester 94ae trapper 357 sights

Post by Awsomepossum »

Hello,
I recently got a trapper and am thinking about replacing the sights. I got some tru-glow sights on my encore barrels, should I get these or something else? Any suggestions?
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Re: Winchester 94ae trapper 357 sights

Post by RKrodle »

I like the XS sights that I have on my 94ae trapper in 45colt. They're fast to get on target.
Ricky

DWWC
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Welcome to the best gun forum you can find. I reckon what you choose for sights depends on what you are going to use your rifle for. Hunting, plinking, home defence or target work. I have had a Rossi 92 .357 carbine for several years and still have the factory sights, Thinking real serious about a Williams 5D reciever sight.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If you can't find sights you like, feel free to sell that rifle to me... :idea: :idea: 8) 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I changed the front sight on my .30-30 Trapper to a TruGlo FO sight several years ago, and just luv it.

(There's a Lyman peep on the rear, though)

SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Pete44ru wrote:.

I changed the front sight on my .30-30 Trapper to a TruGlo FO sight several years ago, and just luv it.

(There's a Lyman peep on the rear, though)

Yep, when your near vision starts to deteriorate the fiber optic sights are the way to go. Especially for short handy lever guns like trappers. A peep rear and a fiber front make for real fast handling, tracking a moving target and transitioning from target to target on multiple targets. The only thing better than fiber optic fronts is a tritium lit fiber optic as in the Tru-Glo TFO's. Only problem is they have a patent on the TFO's and they do not offer them for very many guns.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I use a williams fire sight and a Williams WGOS rear sight with a ghost ring. Williams also has a ghost ring with green fiber optic dot each side of center.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

BenT wrote:I use a williams fire sight and a Williams WGOS rear sight with a ghost ring. Williams also has a ghost ring with green fiber optic dot each side of center.
Are you saying that the ghost ring has a fiber dot embedded in the ring on each side? I always understood the idea behind a ghost ring was to not have your eyes drawn to the ring, hence the name "Ghost." The reason they work is without seeing the ring your eye just naturally centers the front bead. I would imagine "fire" dots on each side would cause you to see the ring and then set you to going through a manual process of centering all the dots rings etc.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, the ghost ring sight Ben's referring to is a barrel-mount sight that replaces Remington's upper/sliding section of the rear sight base - IMHO a bogus location for a peep/ghost ring, meant for those who'd rather use the EASY button ILO doing whatever it takes to mount one in the proper location - near to the shooter's eye.

It's on pp5 in the catalog: http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsigh ... atalog.pdf

While I'm a huge fan of FO sights (front & rear bbl ) I agree, that FO dots around an aperture ( "ghost ring" is just a large aperture) are a distraction.

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

All my other peep sights are receiver. But the trapper with the 16 barrel and barrel mounted ghost ring works great with my eyes. I just noticed the new williams Ghost ring . I'm not sure how it would work. This a picture of it.
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/wgrs.htm
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Amen to the XS Ghost-Ring sight, that's what I've been using and 110% satisfied with it's performance.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31