Heads up on potential deal for some

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Heads up on potential deal for some

Post by madman4570 »

Guys,

This might be a good deal for "some of you gents" maybe not.

Currently we have a home base phone,which is a digital phone through Time Warner.
Also we went with a family plan through Verizon that my wife and I have just kinda cheap Casio Boulder phones(not smart phone)that were an add on to "of course" the daughter miss princess Top of the Line $700 phone :lol:
But with contract I think it only cost $300 but the monthly cell phone bill is $140 for the package.

Now, since the daughter is a big shot now she is going the phone deal on her own per her insistence.

But for Christmas she bought us (2) Straight talk unlimited talk,text,internent anywhere smart phones.
These phones ping off AT&T which is really only phone service that I can receive calls sitting in house and not be standing out on deck with arms raised like the Statue of Liberty. Deal is for wife and I it will still be $90@ month.

OK, now on HSN they are running a deal, still on today that is a smart phone, has talk,text,and internet via any WI-FI hot spot unlike ones above that can get it anywhere.It does use your your mins using Internet if at a Hot Spot per them.

But, the cost is $69 on HSN WITH 1500 mins that can be used for the full year. With shipping/tax it comes to $83
$83 divided by 12 == $6.92 a month. No contract,No activation fee,nothing.
If next year you have any mins left they transfer to new bought card.
The Triple your mins for life. Example spend next year $40 for a 500min card but they give you 1500 mins.

So, I bought one of those too.
I am going to only open one of the ones she bought for us and take the other back :lol: :oops:

Wife can use the good one with everything anywhere for $45 a month and I will use the $6.92 cents one a month.
Wife even said maybe in future next year we will just buy 2 new $69 deals on HSN when they run it.Can carry over mins and use same phone numbers.

Then it would be $13.84 a month total for both.

Sounds to me best deal it just every year once a year you do the $69 1500min deal comes with phone and 1500 min card good for whole year.But, for the guy that just wants a smart phone, can live on 1500 mins or even if you have to buy a another $40 card (triple the mins)having also txt option might be a very cheap way to go.

These HSN phones ping off AT&T and T-Mobile combined so it will work inside home here.
To get the triple mins 1500 need to activate card that comes with phone by 1/31/13

here is the detail in full, click on the small video tab right below pic of phone to the left.
http://www.hsn.com/products/lg-840-no-c ... ce/7309802
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Heads up on potential deal for some

Post by Mescalero »

You need to see a shrink :o
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

A dear friend of mine recently got a new smart phone and spent 15 minutes showing me all of its features. When she was done, I pulled out my cheap-o "dumb" phone and said, "I got you beat! With mine, I can actually MAKE AND RECEIVE PHONE CALLS!", which was the one feature she left out in her description. Her deal costs her $80 a month; mine is a pay-as-you-go that averages me $10 a month.

Sometimes I think those smart phones actually make you dumber. :lol:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Mescalero wrote:You need to see a shrink :o
+1 - My cel's not very smart, but I only pay $10/month to call anywhere with the prepaid ($10) T-Mobile minutes. (I don't use the cell all that much, except when I'm away/hunting - maybe 100 mins/month)

I've been always able to get service (bars), wherever I go except deep in the mountains - but when I go shallow in the mountains (IOW, on top of one), I still get bars.

I did, however, have to buy the phone - $29.95 (3 years ago).

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Guess what i am typing this on my new smart phone, i like so we have both up and running. 90 bucks a month. Also bought hsn one too just because:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

This is fun.screw it what is 90 bucks. Aint hurting daughters feelings,the hsn one will be an extra,
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Obamaphones! Free phone, $1/month phone/internet in the villages!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I don't have a cellphone or anything like it. the look on the faces of the kids at work is priceless when I tell them that......How DO You Live????? they ask............................................................ :lol: :lol: :lol: .
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

Very thoughtful of the comm companies to make the plans so complex and multilayered that they serve as an engrossing and fulfilling hobby for those who don't like Scrabble.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

with a smart phone you can read this forum when sitting on the john.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Good grief after spending a good deal of time yesterday with me being showed what the he## these latest hi tech smart phones do and trying to absorb it in, wonder how I made retirement! Think I might be a little tardy! :oops:

Hey, couple cool things that are kinda neat, you can be at the mall and select sale of the day(or something like that)find which store at that mall has these super special sales for a extremely limited time like 7-9pm that night when you are there.
Click on the tab, go to the store and though they require a special coupon from the Internet you just bring up that site on phone and they scan that coupon code right off your phone.

Coming home from mall last night roads were iced up in some spots, wife said I was going to fast. :roll: Too icy for cruise control on!
I said I am not going over 60mph,daughter reached and grabbed by phone that was on the console. 1 minute later I heard this loud siren?? Daughter put the radar speed monitor on my phone set to 60mph. Go 61 mph and bang it goes off no radar system required.

Also she put on phone GPS with directions and selected a mans voice! :lol: :oops:

Get about a mile from highway exit and say you guys wanna grab a garlic sheet pizza(at this special place)to bring back home and wham daughter presses like two buttons they are on the line its ordered.

Another cool thing, I can go on there and make a distribution list of people. Then I can verbally tell phone which people I want to send them a typed message. BUT THE BIG THING is you just say like Tom P. Mary Z. Paul D. etc. then just speak the whole message or even if a page long. The phone takes your verbal voice message and instantly it is typed and spell checked and then you just say from it prompts you ready to send you say send! And whoever you want has a typed sent letter etc. So much for Secretaries. :lol:
Course they sure have other useful tasks. :wink:

I am learning this stuff but wow there is a lot of stuff. No wonder these kids are always screwing with these things. :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Be careful with spell check....it can be your worst enema...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hoosierdaddy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hoosierdaddy »

BlaineG wrote:Be careful with spell check....it can be your worst enema...
:lol:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

a guy at work got prepaid smartphone for $30 a month which includes a lot of minutes.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

El Chivo wrote:a guy at work got prepaid smartphone for $30 a month which includes a lot of minutes.
Where you start really eating up your minutes is especially using Internet on your phone at a non-Hot Spot location.
Which looks like from everyone I talk to is where you are out on the road when really needing one.

Straight Talk is really making it extremely tough on the competition.Looks like there is no competition at present.
Somehow they have partnered with all the major Cell Tower Providers and now offer a Smart Talk bundle pkg like sold at Walmart etc.
Meaning you buy Smart talk still the big guys get a cut but not all the pie. They would rather have all the pie.

In this package they include like 5 different ping chips that cover almost all the major players. They offer a much better deal in that for $45 a month you get unlimited everything even via unlimited "non-hot spot Wi-Fi" :shock: , unlimited text,unlimited calling etc. Though after aprox.2-3 Gig (which is a ton)used they do slow your Internet speed down a tad but is still useable where as the normal provider you go over and you got wacked big time with extra costs.No extra cost on Smart Talk. check and see how many gig your provider gives for what cost. and if say you go over 2-3 Gig is there a charge?

Where I live I MUST have AT&T for service of everything inside the house for normal cell service. Sure you can get a AT&T phone use AT&T service and you will pay aprox. $65 a month and only have limited mins. They make it sound like you get unlimited but :lol:

Go up on a mountain for 2 weeks and use non Wi-Fi internet running videos or Youtube or simply just being on here, and see how their unlimited meaning works ?

Whatever service you require make sure the phone you get pings off desired tower and the Straight Talk bundle pkg ping chip will work in your desired phone!

When Verizon found out we were leaving them after a decade they cried for 30mins on the phone to the wife. What can we do,should have called us first,how bout we keep your numbers and plan on hold no cost in case you want to come back ?? :lol:

I told her to ask them can they provide use of non-hot spot Wi-Fi watching youtube,videos etc for a month with everything else unlimited for $45 and at 4Gig speed ???----------------------- :lol: Hello, Hello are you there ?????

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Email-Deliver ... d/15443344
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

But what if the contestant answers the question incorrectly :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Old Savage wrote:But what if the contestant answers the question incorrectly :D
The good looking lady gives you a spanking! :oops:

For the $$$$$

Here is a extremely good phone used with above Straight Talk $45 card.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/AT-T-GoPhone- ... e/27449094
$69

Daughter just text'd me and also called me.
She said for the $$ the Nokia 520 is about the very best.

Now, these guys have $700 phones too :lol:
As I am taking to her I pull phone away and everything goes dark, I say hey it quit??
She laughed and simply said, ya its got a sensor so that you don't hit any wrong buttons while in mid conversation.
She said lessons continue this weekend.

I am in good hands, she is a Science Teacher and graduated from one of Pa's Top Teaching Universities and with a 4 year GPA of 4.0 to boot :mrgreen: Kid has a photo graphic memory and got it all from her dear old dad! :wink: :D

She said though she always thought Droid or IPhone as the best and knowing that Windows 8 at least on a computer not being friendly, it is a whole different animal when using a cell phone. Actually for a cell phone she thinks windows 8 so far-------------cool!

The one I bought (she don't know)through HSN just going to give that to wifes one frugal sister that has no cell phone!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Honestly with this phone really don't need laptop much anymore.

Even installed my wireless HP Printer to be hooked up to it.

Now, I see why people have these. Unreal a $49 with no contract (can get it with a $30 a month with even non-hotspot Wi-Fi

$45 dollar straight talk plan best deal though(unlimited everything) Watch and you tell me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzx2fYUk-yM

True test of display picture and amount of guts it has look at Gamming review will blow your mind. Very decent 720p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DHjXT0amNc

FORTY NINE DOLLARS PEOPLE! :lol: :roll: :D
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I have a fanny burp foam. It lends females and even faxes my smelling arrows. I can even spend 15 minutes texting someone about something that would take 3 minutes to resolve if I just called. I don't use it on the toilet, since I grew up doing old-fashioned paperwork on the toilet and I'm not sure how electronics could help me there.

It is so smart that I hand it to my wife in frustration and tell her, "I JUST want to make a stupid PHONE CALL on the STUPID piece of junk! Can you just make the stupid thing WORK?!"

And what could be more annoying than a nice, relaxing dinner in a nice restaurant with friends or business acquaintances, watching your companions talk, text, email, and search the internet on their phones the ENTIRE time?

Maybe WE were smarter in the old days when we tied the phone to the wall . . .
:twisted:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

7.62 Precision wrote:I have a fanny burp foam. It lends females and even faxes my smelling arrows. I can even spend 15 minutes texting someone about something that would take 3 minutes to resolve if I just called. I don't use it on the toilet, since I grew up doing old-fashioned paperwork on the toilet and I'm not sure how electronics could help me there.

It is so smart that I hand it to my wife in frustration and tell her, "I JUST want to make a stupid PHONE CALL on the STUPID piece of junk! Can you just make the stupid thing WORK?!"

And what could be more annoying than a nice, relaxing dinner in a nice restaurant with friends or business acquaintances, watching your companions talk, text, email, and search the internet on their phones the ENTIRE time?

Maybe WE were smarter in the old days when we tied the phone to the wall . . .
:twisted:
:lol:

Dude,
You got the wrong phone!
The one above is beyond easy.
Want to text someone ?
Go to the huge shortcut tab on first menu on screen and hit "people" if it is someone who you have texted before their name will be in alphabetical order, if not first time put in phone number then it remembers from them on.
Got your choice you can type it, or press the use speech option and just speak the whole message then hit send!
That is it.

Two new things I learned today on above phone.
Hit the weather channel icon on it and it with GPS tells you everything about the weather for every hour for the next 3 days. and also the other 5 locations you choose and then puts it in a graph to view.You can also override where you want it to list as your area to view weather.

Second thing,
Alarm clock, on front of screen big icon of alarm bell press that, has current time already selected then it is just a two tab same screen to select day and time to get up. I pressed today at 6am

Woke to this very soft pleasant music playing, then it played again louder :lol: I left it going to see, then loud! and then a bell!
Leaned over the screen was lit with big words saying snooze or off!

Sweet!

I shot some pics of my dog running in deep snow and it has this instant 5 shot burst button. Unreal pics and then you can do everything under the sun with photo. Very easy!

By gosh might be able to put pics/video on here now?? :lol:

Now, I am seeing about using Office on it!

Actually they are better than a laptop for many things!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Daughters and boy friend's phones!

Trust me it puts my Toshiba laptop to shame! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation ... aIFLBoeIB8
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

madman4570 wrote: . . .it puts my Toshiba laptop to shame! :lol:
That's not hard!

Just halfway kidding in my above post. I finally got an iPhone when the deal was right, but I don't text if I can avoid it, and I still don't think I have to answer it just because it rings. I don't use it for email at all.

I got it because I can use the internet very occasionally when it is important, and I am often in places where cell coverage is very spotty and there is no way to make a successful phone call, but a text can get through. The calculator is handy because I need a calculator when inventorying explosives, or working out delays/timing and I always loose my calculators.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Where text shines is in the worforce. There is no distractions of fellow coworkers.
You can have it on vibrate no ding a ling. Also it keeps contact extremely short thus increasing productivity
there is none of this having to say how are you this and that. It keeps things short and sweet. When using text option via voice a extremely quiet whisper does it and via a distribution list it takes about 30 seconds. Another option though i imagine alaska is tough is that 5 ping chip package from straight talk corp. Just verify your phone will except whichever one you choose
also verify if you are under some current contract it does not restrict such. I prefer pay as you go,no contract deals.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'll keep my Verizon, thanks....It gets bars when other's ATT, T-Mobile, Smart Talk, etc can't get out.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Alaska is tougher because options are limited. With all of the bush villages now covered by the government-subsidized system, I have to run two phones on different networks, since there is no competition on the government-subsidized system - the company they gave the contract to is the only company that can operate on the network, and they are expensive if you don't get the subsidized service, which I do not and will not.